planning to major in finance.. (1 Viewer)

Akiheart

HSC
N/A
what other majors go good with it if i'm interested in investment banking?

i hate accounting so that's out of the question as most of you are likely to suggest.

on another note. i'm enrolled in commerce/science at the moment and thinking of doing one of the majors in the science field.. is that a good idea or should i just do straight commerce since none of them will help me get into investment banking?

thanks in advance.

migoi

HSC
It really depends on what kinda role you want to take up in an IB. So do you know what working at an IB entails? What type of career paths there are?

AFAIK:
For Corporate Analyst style roles the norm is Accounting/Finance double major. As the accounting aspects of financial statement analysis (beyond first year core accounting) and the finance concepts are important.

For Derivatives/FX Trader styles roles an Finance/Maths double major is ideal but not necessary. As the maths is quite heavy in these type of roles.

For Risk Management roles a quantitative degree will be a good start.

That's pretty much all i know. Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
No, definately stick with BSci. Do Mathematics, Statistics or something similar. It may sound odd, but there's nothing more desirable in the non-management business sector than a good mathematician. Also, Comm/Sci is only one year extra than just Comm, so it's definitely worth it in terms of time/value.
I think with your degree you can either do two Comm majors and one Sci major or two Sci, one Comm. I would recommend doing two Comm majors if you don't really have that much interest in the Science half. As for what the other Comm major should be, I would again recommend something to do with statistics, such as Actuarial Studies or Business Statistics. Alternatively, if that sounds like an overload of maths in your uni life, then try doing Business Economics or Finance Economics. Both would be still be desirable and relevant to your finance career.
Most importantly, however, is that you should relax. You still have at least six months before you have to choose your majors, so just stick with your core courses as much as possible, do some research and take your time to weigh up the pros and cons of each choice.

ninjas

HSC
I think with your degree you can either do two Comm majors and one Sci major or two Sci, one Comm. I would recommend doing two Comm majors if you don't really have that much interest in the Science half.

hey can anyone confirm whether you can do 2 comm majors and 1 science? thanx.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Ok, so according to the ASB website it's only one Comm major, one Science major. However, you also get a shitload of electives, so you can go nuts with them and study whatever you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)