• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Planning to transfer from UNSW to a Melbourne Uni. (1 Viewer)

krush3r

HSC
Hey guys, I'm in need of some advice. Have really been thinking about what I what to do in life, and where I'm at right now. Frankly I feel really stuck and lost in my present situation..

Anyway, I'll get to the point, I'm really considering moving to a University in Melbourne to continue my Commerce degree which I'm currently doing @ UNSW (2nd year, major: accounting + finance).

It's something I've been thinking about for a while and really reckon I should do it.

Questions:

What are living expenses like in Melbourne?

Which uni in Melbourne is good for Commerce as well as for my majors accounting and finance?

Which uni's provide good accommodation? eg price, location, benefits, activities

Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to get jobs in hospitality in melb? (got 3 years experience)

How do I apply for Melbourne universities while in Sydney? I could probably research this one, but would like some reassurance from someone.

Does anyone have an experience similar to this that they can share?

Any help would be great guys.

Thanks

Andi0390

HSC
You have to apply through VTAC which is the Victorian version of UAC. Its the same process you do when you apply for university, except it costs more and you put in your previous study info. Applications are already closed so you are going to be hit with a late fee, so get on it soon.

University of Melbourne and Monash are the two best. Melbourne is ranked higher but they have a strange degree structure that you should really look into before considering. Monash is good but a bit out of town. I believe Monash has affordable on campus, Melbourne I believe is more expensive. Look up the majors yourself. I'd imagine that they would both be quite good for what you are doing, but I don't really know.

I imagine employment and living costs is quite similar to Sydney. As I said Monash is not as central so it may be harder to find work without heading into town, but the rent may be cheaper.

Most information you need is on the university's websites.

hotdimsim

HSC
It would be cheaper to live on campus at monash, rather than melbourne. however, you can find rent around melbourne thats reasonably affordable. Other living expenses are much the same as sydney.

Melbourne uni has a reputation for commerce, and heaps of people want to do it when applying, so you'll have to have pretty decent marks to get in. Monash has a very well known commerce degree, but doesnt have the 'prestige' of melbourne. that said, the new melbourne model may have changed what options you have. the only thing that really separates them is melbourne is more central to the cbd and has a better campus.

youll have to apply through vtac as a non year 12 applicant. its exactly like uac.

hospitality in melbourne is reasonably easy to find work in. most bars, clubs etc pay cash in hand and are always looking for new people. also look for a call centre job. there normally around the cbd and well paying/very easy

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I'm in need of some advice. Have really been thinking about what I what to do in life, and where I'm at right now. Frankly I feel really stuck and lost in my present situation..

Anyway, I'll get to the point, I'm really considering moving to a University in Melbourne to continue my Commerce degree which I'm currently doing @ UNSW (2nd year, major: accounting + finance).

It's something I've been thinking about for a while and really reckon I should do it.

Questions:

What are living expenses like in Melbourne?

Which uni in Melbourne is good for Commerce as well as for my majors accounting and finance?

Which uni's provide good accommodation? eg price, location, benefits, activities

Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to get jobs in hospitality in melb? (got 3 years experience)

How do I apply for Melbourne universities while in Sydney? I could probably research this one, but would like some reassurance from someone.

Does anyone have an experience similar to this that they can share?

Any help would be great guys.

Thanks
- Living expenses would be a bit lower than Sydney depending on the area. Inner South-East/East is probably the most expensive. West + North is generally cheaper. If you live near Monash in Clayton then it'd be relatively cheap. If you live near the city and close to University of Melbourne it'd be a bit more expensive.
- Monash or Melbourne are definitely the best in Victoria for Commerce. UNSW is probably the best BCom in Australia though.
- Not sure since I've never lived on-campus
- Heaps of bars and restaurants near the city so shouldn't be to much of a problem, I have a few friends who work as waiters at a restaurant near the CBD.
- VTAC, or you could try applying directly or something (Not 100% how it works but some people I know have done it)

Last edited:

krush3r

HSC
Hey guys, really appreciate your help. Just saw my academic advisor today as well. Looks like I'm going to melb.

Currently finding out how much accommodation actually is.

Would anyone know how Melbourne and Monash do their subject exemptions from transfers? eg, can they tell you how many units will be exempted before you accept the offer, or do you have to be current student to find out how many units are exempted.

Also anyone know what is the parking like at Clayton on campus?

I'm thinking about living near campus in a unit/apartment seperate from uni accommodation and getting a car down in melb.

Jonathan

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, really appreciate your help. Just saw my academic advisor today as well. Looks like I'm going to melb.

Currently finding out how much accommodation actually is.

Would anyone know how Melbourne and Monash do their subject exemptions from transfers? eg, can they tell you how many units will be exempted before you accept the offer, or do you have to be current student to find out how many units are exempted.

Also anyone know what is the parking like at Clayton on campus?

I'm thinking about living near campus in a unit/apartment seperate from uni accommodation and getting a car down in melb.

Jonathan
Parking is alright at Clayton, the permit's cost a bit though, $320 a year for the normal permit. Parking Fees | Facilities & Services Division - Monash University Transfers.. well I dont know much about that so you should speak to the relevant faculty. Living in Clayton is alright, area is pretty cheap so shouldn't be too bad in terms of expenditure, living near UniMelb will be a bit more expensive since its practically in the city. Maybe share with another student or something generally that works out cheaper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)