Generator

HSC
N/A
Coming to a supermarket near you (eventually, anyway) -

Free plastic bags to be banned

Free plastic bags to be banned
Rick Wallace, Victorian political reporter
July 18, 2006

CONSUMERS will be slugged 10c for each plastic bag they use in Victoria, the first state to ban the ubiquitous free shopping bag.

The move could be the catalyst for a nationwide ban, with NSW and South Australia considering similar moves despite research suggesting the costs outweigh the benefits.

While environmentalists welcomed the move, retailers said the levy was unnecessary as shops had already drastically cut the use of plastic bags.

The plan, to be introduced in three years, mirrors a similar measure in Ireland and the revenue - predicted to be about $100 million a year initially - will be retained by the retailers.

Small businesses will be exempt and the law will not apply to biodegradable bags or bags necessary for separating meat or deli items from other shopping.

The state Government predicts the move will dramatically reduce the annual consumption of 1.1billion bags in Victoria alone.

Environment Minister John Thwaites said a 10c levy at Bunnings stores had reduced bag consumption by 99 per cent.

"Non-biodegradable plastic bags kill substantial numbers of whales, seals, turtles and other marine wildlife and can take up to 1000 years to break down in the environment," Mr Thwaites said.

The policy comes despite a Productivity Commission report that found a ban should be abandoned in favour of tougher anti-litter laws.

The report found that 1 per cent - or 69 million - of the 6.9billion plastic bags used each year in Australia ended up as litter and the damage they did to animals was uncertain.

Plastics and Chemical Industries Association chief executive Michael Catchpole said he was disappointed the Government had not consulted his members.

"I look forward to an announcement next week by the minister of a ban on cigarettes, therefore reducing the number of cigarette butts, which are the largest single component of the litter stream," he said.

Australian National Retailers Association spokesman Stan Moore said major retailers had cut plastic bag use by 45per cent in the two years to 2005.

But Planet Ark founder John Dee said the commission's report was biased in not recommending a ban and said research had identified the harm done by plastic bags as early as 1980. He said there was photographic evidence of the mortal harm bags did to wildlife and added he had been inundated with calls from farmers whose calves had died after swallowing plastic bags.

A spokesman for NSW Environment Minister Bob Debus said: "If Victoria comes up with a workable model then we would certainly be interested."

South Australian Environment Minister Gail Gago said the state wanted to see a ban on single-use plastic bags.

Additional reporting: Pia Akerman
What do you think? Is this a positive step forward? What about the Productivity Commission's recommendation?

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
This won't do much besides piss off a lot of soccer mums and oldies. Most families keep warchests of plastic bags at home. Seems like a bandaid solution to me.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I really like the plastic bags. They are incredibly useful. I detest this move as there are more important environmental issues. This is one environmental strategy that I heartily disagree on. Now stores will try and fit as little as they can to as many plastic bags as possible. It's counter-intuitive. Now I have to proximate the surcharge on my grocery bills to account for this maneouvre. :mad:

gerhard

HSC
i work at coles - packing those green bags is annoying and time consuming. plastic is easier: if they want me only to pack green bags then i want a payrise

turtleface

HSC
They can probably spend more of their effort reducing usage of other resources, and improving recycling initatives. It amazes me that they would want to try and save resources and save the environment when on the other hand they freely bomb the Korean drug ship a few months ago, spilling all sorts of shit into the ocean, and also wasting a perfectly usable ship in the process.

They always seem to target the trivial things, like office paper usage (which is grown from plantations, so I don't see what the issue is about), especially as people have said, plastic bags are reused for household use, garbage disposal etc.

Also more levies = job losses and downsizing of plastics industry.

btw I agree with the Coles worker, I'm at Safeway (Woolies) and those bloody green things are annoying and dirty.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
c_james said:
This won't do much besides piss off a lot of soccer mums and oldies. Most families keep warchests of plastic bags at home. Seems like a bandaid solution to me.
I agree.
People will continue to use the bags at 10c per bag, my family has a huge shopping cart and all full it has what.... 20 bags? So $2. LOAL.

gerhard

HSC
so? look at all the people whinging at petrol prices, theyre only paying an extra $2 a week anyway.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Plastic bags and oil prices are different. One can lead to the inevitable collapse of civilisation as we know it. The other just chokes pigeons... which is a good thing.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It might lead to an increase in the use of the green bags, if only because it then it becomes cheaper in the long run to use them. Although I think the policy of Coles would work better, not offering bags for two items or less.

turtleface

HSC
transcendent said:
Plastic bags and oil prices are different. One can lead to the inevitable collapse of civilisation as we know it. The other just chokes pigeons... which is a good thing.
Plastic bags are made from crude oil.

Optophobia

HSC
People are hoping for a free lunch, not just in regards to shopping bags, but in energy production, oil, water shortages etc. None exist.

The only way this problem can be combatted, is by introducing paper bags, but even those require trees to be chopped down, and require energy to make the paper, and bleach to treat the paper. No free lunch exists.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Pissing in the ocean.

All it does is annoy poor people. Plus plastic bags are actually useful because when they go into landfill they help stop certain toxins soaking through the ground and into other areas.

The productivity commission's idea would probably do more good, if, of course, litter laws could easily be enforced.

HSC
I think respect must go to Michael Catchpole for his comment about a cigarette ban.
WHEN THE HELL IS THE GOVERNMENT GOING TO BAN SMOKING IN ALL PUBLIC PLACES?!?!?!?!?

I swear if i get cancer from inhaling UNFILTERED, SECOND-HAND cigarette smoke im suing the government. You wanna make money? CHARGE MORE TAX ON FUCKEN CIGARETTES INSTEAD OF PETROL WHICH IS DAMN NEAR A NECSSITY FOR A SIGNIFICANT PART OF THE POPULATION!!!

Rant over...

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Pissing in the ocean.

All it does is annoy poor people. Plus plastic bags are actually useful because when they go into landfill they help stop certain toxins soaking through the ground and into other areas.

The productivity commission's idea would probably do more good, if, of course, litter laws could easily be enforced.
The main problem is with plastic bags that don't end up in landfill.

I don't really care that I'll be charged 10c a bag. It's incentive for me to remember to bring the green bags (which are better, because they can hold cans and whatnot and not break, and they dont end up in a pile in the laundry).

And can the supermarket people please tell me how it's more difficult to pack green bags. I would have thought it would be easier, because they're bigger and have a flat bottom (but then I don't pack bags so an expert opinion would be nice).

*Minka*

HSC
I actually find this marginally annoying because plastic bags are useful to me for things like putting ballet shoes or muddy soccer boots/shin pads into after training. I use them for things like that.

turtleface

HSC
scarybunny said:
And can the supermarket people please tell me how it's more difficult to pack green bags. I would have thought it would be easier, because they're bigger and have a flat bottom (but then I don't pack bags so an expert opinion would be nice).
For me personally, I find its more difficult because...its hard to explain

Like, common sense says that pet foods and chemicals like bleach and food should be kept seperate. When using plastic bags this is easy, we just use another bag for that bottle of rat poison or something. With green bags, we have to constantly ask the customer "do u mind if I put this in there?" or "do you want this in a seperate bag?" etc. because usually they will only have 1 or 2 green bags, and not only can you not afford to just put 1 item in a bag like you can for plastic, you also don't want to permanently infest their green bag with like juices from a steak or rat poison, or bleach etc.

So all in all its just more complex, and in the fast paced checkout area, it does get annoying. You're normal routine of scan and bag is broken by the green bag issue.

Additionally they are more annoying to set up, unlike plastic bags which are already on the hook.

Often the bags are really dirty as well. They are often smelly from the blood that leaks out of meat trays into the bag

I feel its a combination of those reasons for me personally, it doesn't seem like much but again, in that fast paced environment, you'd rather have the status quo streamlined process.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
turtleface said:
For me personally, I find its more difficult because...its hard to explain

Like, common sense says that pet foods and chemicals like bleach and food should be kept seperate. When using plastic bags this is easy, we just use another bag for that bottle of rat poison or something. With green bags, we have to constantly ask the customer "do u mind if I put this in there?" or "do you want this in a seperate bag?" etc. because usually they will only have 1 or 2 green bags, and not only can you not afford to just put 1 item in a bag like you can for plastic, you also don't want to permanently infest their green bag with like juices from a steak or rat poison, or bleach etc.

So all in all its just more complex, and in the fast paced checkout area, it does get annoying. You're normal routine of scan and bag is broken by the green bag issue.

Additionally they are more annoying to set up, unlike plastic bags which are already on the hook.

Often the bags are really dirty as well. They are often smelly from the blood that leaks out of meat trays into the bag

I feel its a combination of those reasons for me personally, it doesn't seem like much but again, in that fast paced environment, you'd rather have the status quo streamlined process.
Ah ok, thankyou =).

I remember the old days when franklins made you pack your own bags. Bring that back, I say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)