Please carrotsticks or someone, help with final maths problem (1 Viewer)

Bozza555

HSC
for ii) i got k:l, not sure if its right though
and have you done i)?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You can save the image I've attached, then zoom in using whatever image-viewing program you have.

BTW for the first green line, disregard the "We must prove that XXXX". Forgot to rub that out.

Also in the second last green line, the first symbol should be FD, but the downstroke disappeared for some reason.

Last edited:

Bozza555

HSC
how did you attach the image like that without creating a link?

jackerino

HSC
You can save the image I've attached, then zoom in using whatever image-viewing program you have.

BTW for the first green line, disregard the "We must prove that XXXX". Forgot to rub that out.

Also in the second last green line, the first symbol should be FD, but the downstroke disappeared for some reason.

Thanks carrot! :D You're the best :)

jackerino

HSC
Ohh does anyone know that other question about "How many ways can a mixed doubles tennis match be played with 6 married couples, so that no husband and wife play in the same match?"

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ohh does anyone know that other question about "How many ways can a mixed doubles tennis match be played with 6 married couples, so that no husband and wife play in the same match?"
What's to say that there isn't any same-sex marriage involved =)

There are 4 positions in a doubles tennis match.

First position could be anybody of the 12 (6 married couples = 12 people), so we have 12 choices.

Second position could be anybody EXCEPT their partner, so we have 10 choices. (Total 24 - 1 married couple = 10)

Third position could be anybody except the second and first person's partner, so we have 8 choices. (Total - 2 married couples = 8)

Fourth position could be anybody except the first, second and third person's partner, so we have 6 choices. (Total - 3 married couples = 6)

So therefore the number of mixed doubles tennis matches, such that there are no PARTNERS in the same match, is 12 x 10 x 8 x 6 = 5670.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)