• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Please! Freaking out (1 Viewer)

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
Can I just ask, if I'm pretty bad at measurement,volume etc... does that mean I'm incapable of doing 4 unit? You don't have to be the smartest student to do good,do you? :)
Well you have to know well all your 2u and 3u stuff, I'd say you should be good with integration, because 3 of 4u topics involve integration and trust me it gets really hard for people who are pretty average.... volumes is super easy (trust me) ... the hardest one for me was harder 3u topics lol

4u isn't hard if you work hard for it, and also do not neglect your other subjects because 4u does take a lot of your time, so TIME MANAGEMENT is really important!

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
you clearly have a lot of questions. Most "average" 4u students don't even AIM to complete the whole paper. Because, frankly speaking, you don't need to to get an outstanding result. Obviously the last few questions will be extremely challenging.
It would probably be best if you do 12 units for a few weeks and see if you like 4u and can handle the workload along with your other subjects.
I was in your situation and I picked up 4 unit maths (did 12 units for 1st term). I ended up dedicating too much time into it so i dropped it (despite getting quite high in class tests because ultimately its about getting a good ATAR not smashing one subject and flopping the rest)

Also scaling won't do shit if you suck at 4u. A friend of mine did tutoring for 4u and was a fairly dedicated student but the teachers urged him to drop it because he wasn't coping (but he persisted). He ended up with a 67 HSC mark for EX2. which is pretty shit.

So try it and see how you go! :)
He must have gotten like 20 raw mark :p lol

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
If you're worried about whether you'll be able to cope or not, I really encourage you to ask your maths teacher if he/she thinks you can do well. They know what's required and you can go through your concerns.

HSC
Thanks guys for the help :) So I don't have to be a measurement genius to do well?
I'll definitely talk to my teacher about it and see what she thinks!
I have heard, though, that even if you get like...a 40/100..(god forbid) it scales to a 70+? Is that true? It's also that way on atar calculators :L

HSC
Find your subject combination strange. Are you doing only 4 subjects currently? What courses at uni do you hope to pursue with those subjects? Why are you doing Society & Culture, interesting though it may be?

It is not unusual for students to be lost as to what subjects they should choose on entering Yr 11.
I'm doing five subjects now including chemistry which I'm considering dropping, and instead taking up 4 unit. These subjects, although strange, really do interest me. I'm hoping to get into medicine or psychology...I think that with those subjects I can perform to my best ability. :)

RishBonjour

HSC
He must have gotten like 20 raw mark :p lol
haha yeah I think so. not sure :p

Thanks guys for the help :) So I don't have to be a measurement genius to do well?
I'll definitely talk to my teacher about it and see what she thinks!
I have heard, though, that even if you get like...a 40/100..(god forbid) it scales to a 70+? Is that true? It's also that way on atar calculators :L
whats the point of doing 4 unit if you want to get a "70+" lol

Some Bos people have their raw marks posted. One I remember i think the guy failed 4u by 1 mark (59/120 I think) and ended up with 85 ish.
Really, even if you aren't the most talented kid in maths, but you work hard you can get an e4.
However, if you find it hard to excel 2 unit maths and do well in 3 unit maths now. forget about 4 unit.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
But, to me, to realistically do medicine:

- you must have a fantastic ATAR (USyd & NSW anyway)

- I cannot imagine doing medicine without a background in chemistry (even if the uni says it is not a prerequisite)

Please don't get me wrong - I wish you well but don't want you to be misguided

HSC
haha yeah I think so. not sure :p

whats the point of doing 4 unit if you want to get a "70+" lol

Some Bos people have their raw marks posted. One I remember i think the guy failed 4u by 1 mark (59/120 I think) and ended up with 85 ish.
Really, even if you aren't the most talented kid in maths, but you work hard you can get an e4.
However, if you find it hard to excel 2 unit maths and do well in 3 unit maths now. forget about 4 unit.
I definitely want to get higher than that, but am just interested to know that even if you do pretty badly, you can still achieve a good atar! Thanks for your feedback, and if I find that I'm performing far too badly in 3 unit (which i hope does not happen!)I won't take on 4 unit :)

HSC
But, to me, to realistically do medicine:

- you must have a fantastic ATAR (USyd & NSW anyway)

- I cannot imagine doing medicine without a background in chemistry (even if the uni says it is not a prerequisite)

Please don't get me wrong - I wish you well but don't want you to be misguided
I have to agree on some note...but so far the course isn't too interesting and I've had a look at the yr 12 course and it doesn't appeal to me. I fear it will be too difficult and stressful... :( What are your thoughts on society and culture?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Society & Culture is interesting, like History. But we can always learn them long after we have left school. So unless you are into Sociology or Anthropology, what can Society & Culture lead you to, uni course wise. But I may be wrong on this, of course

I have the old-fashioned view that, if you are seeking to do a uni course: be well grounded in the foundational disciplines; viz: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Economics, English, History etc - not Legal Studies, Business Studies, Engineering Studies, Aboriginal Studies.

Last edited:
HSC
Society & Culture is interesting, like History. But we can always learn that long after we have left school. So unless you are into Sociology or Anthropology, what can Society & Culture lead you to, uni course wise. But I may be wrong on this, of course
But choosing subjects that you are interested in and actually like,can help you excel and achieve a high ATAR. They don't necessarily have to be relevant to your career choice

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
But choosing subjects that you are interested in and actually like,can help you excel and achieve a high ATAR. They don't necessarily have to be relevant to your career choice
That is a very popular line of thinking - encouraged in Australia, i.e. do whatever you have an interest in. I just don't share this philosophy - doesn't mean I'm right!

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
That is a very popular line of thinking - encouraged in Australia; do whatever you have an interest in. I just don't share this philosophy - doesn't mean I'm right!
It should be encouraged everywhere. Do what you like rather than pleasing your parents and doing 4 unit maths so they can boast off to others about how amazing their son's/daughter's atar is.

HSC
How well do you do in 3U? If you're capable, try it.
I've only just started. We're doing a revision on algebra, factorising and equations. Nothing tricky yet but I cannot judge until we get to the really challenging topics. Time will tell, I guess! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)