Please help me choose my course (1 Viewer)

123ryoma12

HSC

I97

HSC
Personally not a huge fan of the arch degree because it isn't a double degree or anything, just a couple electives (including final year professional electives) replaced with architectural/design courses. Of course if that is something you are interested in then it may be useful, especially if you end up working a facade engineering related job.

As for Commerce, it is a very popular combination but quite a number of people seem to end up dropping the commerce degree (I started in this double but have decided to only pursue single Civil). If you're interested in finance etc, then having both degrees can be good if you wish to get into Management Consulting/IB and those sort of areas, but if you're purely intending on working in the Civil field then imo the commerce degree isn't required. Keep in mind that the extra 1.5 years is a bit annoying, especially if you are going to end up in a job you can get into with a straight civil degree. I think that is the reason behind most of the people that choose to drop the commerce course, along with the fact that the program schedule for the combination isn't really great and its tough to try and make it better since many later year courses aren't offered in both semesters.

All in all I'd say firstly consider if 16 extra commerce courses is something you'd want to do, or if replacing about 6 civil electives with architectural ones seems more like something you're up for. If you do decide to stick with commerce, enrol in the double now and drop later as it is easier to do that than going from single-->double and if you follow the program outline you wont be doing any commerce courses until 2nd year so theres plenty of time to still think about it.

turntaker

HSC
I would advise against dual degrees

123ryoma12

HSC
Thanks for the response.
I don't think I'll do the Eng/Commerce dual degree since I'm not interested in getting into Management Consulting/IB. And it seems like it won't make finding a civil engineering job that much easier.
I might just do the standard civil engineering instead of the one with architecture since I'm more interested in the computer related general electives they offer.
Edit: wtf, I'm not allowed to select a general elective from my faculty...

Last edited:

I97

HSC
Yeah the gen eds need to come from outside any engineering faculty. If you're interested in computing/coding and want to learn actual coding and not just MATLAB/VBA then for first sem choose COMP1911 instead of ENGG1811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)