Please help me find a technique for this quote!! (1 Viewer)

Julie M

HSC
“Men have died from time to time- and worms have eaten them-but not for love” (Act 4, scene 1)
This is a quote from Shakespeare's "As You Like It" by Rosalind, and I can not find a technique

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
Hi :) One of the biggest things that students get caught up on is 'finding' a technique in every quote; the truth is, there's not always a 'tehcnique' evident in every line in a text. You need to look at the bigger picture a little bit; look at the whole paragraph or section of text and determine what the author/playwright is trying to say or convey...THEN look at HOW your quote demonstrates that.

You need to approach quotes and examples differently in a play or novel than you would in a poem, which is kind of what you're trying to do here. In poetry many of the 'lines' and language has poetic/literary technique embedded in it eg, alliteration, allusion, synecdoche etc.

HOWEVER, in a play/novel the quote is a part of a much LARGER literary device or way of conveying story or thought. Aspects of language such as FORM, TONE, or WORD CHOICE can also be considered 'technique' for the purposes of the AOS essay.

THe part of the quote you've mentioned is quite short but if you consider the rest of it, it talks about how men can die of heartache. Rosalind is saying that doesnt happen and is commenting on the unreliality of romantic love; that people die from death and worms eat them etc. The repetition of 'time'can be seen to show how temporal agents are most powerful; people die as a result of elements beyond their control.

Why have you chosen this quote? or rather, why are you trying to find a 'technique' in it? Assessment task or just study notes? :)

Last edited:

Julie M

HSC
Hi :) One of the biggest things that students get caught up on is 'finding' a technique in every quote; the truth is, there's not always a 'tehcnique' evident in every line in a text. You need to look at the bigger picture a little bit; look at the whole paragraph or section of text and determine what the author/playwright is trying to say or convey...THEN look at HOW your quote demonstrates that.

You need to approach quotes and examples differently in a play or novel than you would in a poem, which is kind of what you're trying to do here. In poetry many of the 'lines' and language has poetic/literary technique embedded in it eg, alliteration, allusion, synecdoche etc.

HOWEVER, in a play/novel the quote is a part of a much LARGER literary device or way of conveying story or thought. Aspects of language such as FORM, TONE, or WORD CHOICE can also be considered 'technique' for the purposes of the AOS essay.

THe part of the quote you've mentioned is quite short but if you consider the rest of it, it talks about how men can die of heartache. Rosalind is saying that doesnt happen and is commenting on the unreliality of romantic love; that people die from death and worms eat them etc. The repetition of 'time'can be seen to show how temporal agents are most powerful; people die as a result of elements beyond their control.

Why have you chosen this quote? or rather, why are you trying to find a 'technique' in it? Assessment task or just study notes? :)
This quote was chosen for an assessment task (oral essay) and I am trying to show how Rosalind has changed from the beginning of the play. When I looked at the rest of the scene I think her words were used as a contrast to Orlando who was still showing signs of infatuation towards her

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
This quote was chosen for an assessment task (oral essay) and I am trying to show how Rosalind has changed from the beginning of the play. When I looked at the rest of the scene I think her words were used as a contrast to Orlando who was still showing signs of infatuation towards her
If you're going to look at the play from a whole, look at the liberation of Rosalind (breaking gender barriers by assuming the identity of Ganymede) and juxtapose the submissive tone of what she says in the start and the assertiveness of her tone in that particular quote as something related to her transformation. Her transformation and stuff can be related to how she almost "manipulates" Orlando into understanding what she wants from her lover (allowing or belonging to one another bla bla bla), which was only made possible by her liberation because if she said this as a woman she wouldn't be taken seriously/listened to.

Ofc find textual evidence and stuff. Not sure if that's what you want but it's my perspective on the quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julie M

HSC
If you're going to look at the play from a whole, look at the liberation of Rosalind (breaking gender barriers by assuming the identity of Ganymede) and juxtapose the submissive tone of what she says in the start and the assertiveness of her tone in that particular quote as something related to her transformation. Her transformation and stuff can be related to how she almost "manipulates" Orlando into understanding what she wants from her lover (allowing or belonging to one another bla bla bla), which was only made possible by her liberation because if she said this as a woman she wouldn't be taken seriously/listened to.

Ofc find textual evidence and stuff. Not sure if that's what you want but it's my perspective on the quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thankyou so much :D

Julie M

HSC
If I were to do a similar thing with Orlando that I am doing with Rosalind (showing progression of not belonging - belonging), would anyone know which scenes I could look at to show that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)