Please Help, stuck on these q's (1 Viewer)

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
Hi, the name of my case is

AH HIN TEOH v. MINISTER OF STATE FOR IMMIGRATION AND ETHNIC AFFAIRS No. WAG118 of 1993 FED No. 182/94 Immigration - Practice and Procedure (1994) 32 ALD 420 (1994) 49 FCR 409

brief description of the case is here:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/journals/AJHR/1995/10.html?query=^+teoh

full case is here:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/cases/cth/federal_ct/unrep6727.html?query=^+teoh

I need to know which court originally heard the matter? why?
Who commenced proceedings? How would the case have been cited?

Thanks, for any help

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Raven said:
brief description of the case is here:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/journals/AJHR/1995/10.html?query=^+teoh

I need to know which court originally heard the matter? why?
"FEDERAL COURT DECISIONS

The case was heard at first instance by French J in September 1993"

why? bcoz it's a Commonwealth matter (under s51(xxvii) of the Constitution), it should be heard at first instance in the Federal Court. The Federal Magistrates Court had not been created at the time..
Raven said:
Who commenced proceedings? How would the case have been cited?
well obviously the plaintiff (Teoh) commenced the proceedings (duh).

the case is cited as AH HIN TEOH v. MINISTER OF STATE FOR IMMIGRATION, LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND ETHNIC AFFAIRS No. WAG11 of 1993 FED No. 712.

i have no idea what WAG 11 means so dun ask. I suppose (under the normal modes of citation) it could also be cited as Toeh v Minister for Immigration [1993] FED 712.

Demandred

HSC
CHEAT!!! :p:p

I got the same thing as well.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
CHEAT!!! :p:p

I got the same thing as well.
you kids should really read the articles you've been given more carefully.

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
lol...Demandered i guess you are in my class. Im in Group A and doing:

Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd v Amadio [1983] HCA 14; (1983) 151 CLR 447; (1983) 57 ALJR 358; (1983) 46 ALR 402

Im helping out my lazy friend who cant be bothered signing up to become member of BOS

P.S. thanks for ur help Frigid, go u smart thing!

L

LaraB

Frigid said:
you kids should really read the articles you've been given more carefully.
we aren't "given" any articles - this is our group work case study - we have to locate ALL info ourselves. All we were given was the basic citation.

Raven - Lexis Nexis/case base has a thingo for cases that showsjust prcedural history and precedents used etc - i'm not sure what link you access that by, i cant remember how i got to it (i'm doing Lepore's case), but have a look around the site coz it makes it much easier:)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
we aren't "given" any articles - this is our group work case study
so you're telling me that you weren't given the first link Raven posted?
LaraB said:
we have to locate ALL info ourselves. All we were given was the basic citation.
*clapclap* what a onerous task! perhaps that deserved a uni medal?

what i'm saying, my learned friend, is that Raven found the first link, in which the answer to his question already contained. therefore, all s/he had to do was read the article carefully.

now isn't that just good general advice to law students everywhere?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Do the reading? But it hurts my eyes so Frigid!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
no more so than my size=1 writing, my friend.
It's only a matter of time until I get used to Gummolish in size 1...

L

LaraB

Frigid said:
so you're telling me that you weren't given the first link Raven posted? *clapclap* what a onerous task! perhaps that deserved a uni medal?

what i'm saying, my learned friend, is that Raven found the first link, in which the answer to his question already contained. therefore, all s/he had to do was read the article carefully.

now isn't that just good general advice to law students everywhere?
i dont wanna trun this into an argument..so im just gonna say - you said "you s hould read the articles you're given more carefully" so i was simply clarifying that we weren't given the article, rather only the 2lines of the citation and told to go find it etc..

so there's not need to be condescending in return - im not an idiot... i never said it was an arduosu t ask..i simply said we weren't given articles, just the citation.

santaslayer

HSC
teoh case is cool....if thats the case about the druggo trafficking which in turn disqualified him for an application for residency/citizenship...whateva it was...

yr 12 legal is still better than uni legal...yayy!

L

LaraB

santaslayer said:
teoh case is cool....if thats the case about the druggo trafficking which in turn disqualified him for an application for residency/citizenship...whateva it was...

yr 12 legal is still better than uni legal...yayy!
haha agree 100%!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)