..... plz helpp (1 Viewer)

teurino

HSC
whats the best way to go about studying for a chemistry half yearly exam wen the topics are:
1)production of materials
2)acidic environment
do i have to precisely remember every single concept?
help:(

yorkstanham

HSC
do heaps of past papers, look through past HSC papers and pick out the questions on those modules, you should be able do to about the first 10 multiple choice questions on hsc papers and about half the short answer. Also try to get a copy of your schools last year half-yearly

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Buy Dotpoint book - the best Chem book for HSC. It has everything you need to know. By answering the questions in there, you can basically have a very precise idea of what you must know.

By the way, when studying a module, take your own notes and then revise them for the exams. It's futile looking at others' notes and just mucking around at the beginning.

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Buy Dotpoint book - the best Chem book for HSC. It has everything you need to know. By answering the questions in there, you can basically have a very precise idea of what you must know.

By the way, when studying a module, take your own notes and then revise them for the exams. It's futile looking at others' notes and just mucking around at the beginning.
dotpoint is shit, its for lazy ppl who cant be bothered to write their notes, i think it basically gets u in band 4 all it does is reword the syllabus and put in extension questions u dont even need to know
like yorkshham said, do hsc questions, past papers, i think most importantly txtbook ques, and yea your own notes then ur pretty much about set

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Well, I have my own notes AND the dot point. If you ever heard of Chris whose students topped HSC in Physics and Chem and also achieved first Gold medal for Chem Olympads, you might change your mind. His first advice is to use the Dotpoint book. If you think Dot point is for those who can't take notes on their own, I suppose you're wrong. It's a book use to re-check your knowledge and to summarize your info in a logically structural order. It doesn't give you anything except for questions, how can it be like readily available notes as you say? I think it's an easy way to revise your knowledge as well as fill in the blanks. Your text books don't give as succinct questions based on syllabus as Dot point! That's why though I say I don't ever read syllabus, I'm quite actually 'reading' it but in a more thorough form!

Last edited:

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
lol you dont read the syllabus?! the point of doing textbook questions is because you ultimately get ur information from the textbook, and by doing the questions (they are syllabus based btw, eg. heineman and oxford one) the info stays in ur head rather than just reading it. dotpoint is supplementary, its something you should do when you have done hsc papers, past papers, ur own notes, and all the other work your teacher gave you, then if you have enough time left you can do the dotpoint. but who cares anyway, u have ur own opinion fair enough thats just wat i think

flicka08

HSC
tryin using the pass cards in the back of excel chem book they are helpful
have a general idea of all the subjects so you can write say a 6 mark response on them!

vds700

HSC
i quite agree with undermyskin. Dot Point is awesome. I summarised the textbook under each dotpoint from the syllabus and am using Dot Point to revise. If I don't know the answer, I go to my notes and find it, then you learn.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Thanks vds700.

Rooeys, you don't seem to get the point! Why do I need any extra pile of papers while every DOTPOINT for the syllabus is meticulously explained and converted to awesome requirements? Isn't it the same as I read the syllabus?

Um, how can you get the cards for the Excel books? I can't find any. Seemingly all the cards were ripped off!

undalay

HSC
It's because dotpoint is a bit superfluous on some points. Like name some of the factions and their uses in petroleum. WELL, we don't really need to know this for year 12, and all its doing is clogging up memory.

On more important points, dotpoint just isn't enough.

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
exactly.
if you tell me you dont do any hsc/past papers questions and all you rely on is dotpoint, itl be quite unbelievable
especially chemistry is not a memory subject, you have to know practical knowledge like answering different types of questions, calculations, dotpoint isnt gona get you anywhere, you are tested on how you apply ur knowledge not just memorising every dotpoint

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Hell no, never did I say I just relied on dotpoint without doing any past papers! What I said is it's an awesome book to summarize your notes and otherwise test your knowledge. I'm not surprised to see many people saying they can handle everything but then struggle to answer a few questions in the Dotpoint. Even though you did past papers, especially under exam conditions, you always need something as a second material to revise/check your knowledge. Dotpoint simply analyses the syllabus then gives you questions about what you are supposed to know. Most of its questions are for band 5/6. And well, I don't memorize the DOTPOINT because I answer it based on the info I gain from text books and notes, mind you.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Most of its questions are for band 5/6.
I wouldnt say that. Im not 100% sure of chemistry dotpoint, but biology dotpoint is aimed at band 4 students giving them basic knowledge of concepts, but not enough to be able to do analysis questions. Really, all those books do is teach you how to recite definintions, examples and crap with no real extensive knowledge about what the topic is actually about. I would like to see someone who relies heavily on that book doing their HSC where questions do not ask "what is this" but "analyse the role of" or "account for this". Plus, the HSC exams are including increasing numbers of calculations, that you have to learn through repetition of different questions, asked in different ways with different levels of difficulty, not just the occasional question that teachs you the basic concept.

I think that if you want to use the dotpoint books you have to do some other form of studing as well. For people who have trouble in chemistry or have a lack of time, i dont think it would be a good idea for them to use these books as they are wasting time they could have spent doing something more productive and benficial. As for me, I would only use these books when i have gone through all of the notes that I have made, all of my friends note, all of the HSC papers, all of the past trial and pretrial papers i can get my hands on and all of the questions in the 2 chemistry textbooks I own that apply to the syllabus. Thats alot of shit that I put above the questions in dotpoint books.

Last edited:

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
midifile said:
I wouldnt say that. Im not 100% sure of chemistry dotpoint, but biology dotpoint is aimed at band 4 students giving them basic knowledge of concepts, but not enough to be able to do analysis questions. Really, all those books do is teach you how to recite definintions, examples and crap with no real extensive knowledge about what the topic is actually about. I would like to see someone who relies heavily on that book doing their HSC where questions do not ask "what is this" but "analyse the role of" or "account for this". Plus, the HSC exams are including increasing numbers of calculations, that you have to learn through repetition of different questions, asked in different ways with different levels of difficulty, not just the occasional question that teachs you the basic concept.

I think that if you want to use the dotpoint books you have to do some other form of studing as well. For people who have trouble in chemistry or have a lack of time, i dont think it would be a good idea for them to use these books as they are wasting time they could have spent doing something more productive and benficial. As for me, I would only use these books when i have gone through all of the notes that I have made, all of my friends note, all of the HSC papers, all of the past trial and pretrial papers i can get my hands on and all of the questions in the 2 chemistry textbooks I own that apply to the syllabus. Thats alot of shit that I put above the questions in dotpoint books.
never agreed better =)

teurino

HSC
thnx for the advice guys, hoping for at least 90% for chem

miz2nv

HSC
N/A
need help 4 chem we hve 2 make a model showing
hydrochloric acid and acetic acid any help with how they will look

please help

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Make your own thread instead of posting the same thing in 10 other threads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)