Pocket Pc's (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I want to buy a pocket pc, pref one that can play video/mp3 and store word and pdf's on them, so like 300mhz -400mhz. What are the best ones around with those specs? I dont want to spend more than $700 brand new.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
apparently dell is the way to go lately ... cheap too

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
toshiba....hp......compaq.....maybe casio....
are the brands which you want to look at

brands to avoid are sony....sharp....

maybe avoid the palm too...cause there are better ones out there.....palm has sota died over time..the brand

i don't know much about pda, but i plan on getting one at the end of the year cause they are so dam kewl and have been reading up on it for the past few month

Winston

HSC
Toshiba is pretty good

i own the best one in the iPaq range, the 5550, it's a real sweet beast :) finger print login w00t, and 400 Mhz, integrated 48 MB ROM and 128 MB RAM, it's really nice, it's got integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by redslert

brands to avoid are sony....sharp....
You're wrong, why would you avoid them? They make excellent handheld devices, but did you even realise they're not Pocket PCs? ! :p

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
You're wrong, why would you avoid them? They make excellent handheld devices, but did you even realise they're not Pocket PCs? ! :p
i'm pretty sure that sony made that pocket pc with the flip screen...the type that you can fold in half...that was a flop
also the clie....with it's crappy sony memory stick that's overpriced

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
what do u ppl think bout the sony clie ?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by redslert
i'm pretty sure that sony made that pocket pc with the flip screen...the type that you can fold in half...that was a flop
also the clie....with it's crappy sony memory stick that's overpriced

That's not classified as a Pocket PC, take note of the name it's quite logical itself it's a PC, a Pocket one, i.e. it uses Windows.

Sony's Clie uses Palm OS. so it's not a Pocket PC more like a Palm Pilot, or Palm Handheld, however you want to call it, and it wouldn't be good to rule out the idea of Sony making poor Pocket PC's when in fact they don't make Pocket PC's but they make Palm Pilots, and i believe the best ones in the Palm Handheld devices range.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
asus is also good, and cheap too around $500 for 400mhz one
Yep that too, ASUS Pocket PC's are also value for money.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
sony memory stick isn't that expensive.... it is cheaper (and more durable) than SD cards and smaller than conpact flash cards.

if you looking for an entertainment PDA (and got money to burn) then sony is prolly where you should look.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
sony memory stick isn't that expensive.... it is cheaper (and more durable) than SD cards and smaller than conpact flash cards.

if you looking for an entertainment PDA (and got money to burn) then sony is prolly where you should look.
Yeah Agreed, actually the new Memory Sticks, dubbed 'Duo' is around the same size as the SD, however i think the SD is still thiner. Sony Clie is worth it if you're in it for playful use, the high end range has camera as well it's pretty nice, however i don't quite like Palm OS. Windows Mobile 2003 is by far the best still.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by wrx
they can run everything a normal pc can rite?
not really...

everything is cut down on features massively. think of it as a 7 year old computer with good graphics.

jayz

walking
Originally posted by wrx
they can run everything a normal pc can rite?
not always, as a PDA is yet to hav all the hardware abilities a generic PC has.

sony clie, is a palm operated device, it's basically a different OS to the Pocket PC's windows CE (lyk Windows and Mac), if u r planning for alot of expansion in the future, and want cheap parts for the expansions, i.e wireless LAN, video camera etc go for the pocket pcs.

remember u can NOT compare the processor's speed of a palm system to a windows operated Pocket PC, bcoz palm takes much less system resource.

i personally hav the sony clie nx-80v, must say it's bright screen and multimedia function r great (i.e. 1.3mpx cam, video record, mp3 etc), but the price i paid, and the expansion parts prices i need to pay, is a bit crazy for my budget. (i admit sony is a bit of a rip off). so if u r aiming for a general purpose pocket pc, and not too demanding on expansionary features, take alook at

http://www.mackrotech.com.au/index.php?cPath=1_48_53

u may also find good reviews on PDAs at

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com

try ebay when u decide 2 buy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)