Political Party Membership (1 Viewer)

Orwell

HSC
Are you joking? Gough was an absolute disaster, our fabled Mr. 17% inflation. I think Hawkey was probably the best. Keating was an exceptional Treasurer but a very poor PM IMO, too much acquiescence to the new left there.
I should've specified - I like what Gough tried to do, but admittedly, he executed it pretty poorly. Additionally, any chance for a pun - I seize.

lol @ the guy claiming all Libs are bankers.

Eudemonic

HSC
Are you joking? Gough was an absolute disaster, our fabled Mr. 17% inflation. I think Hawkey was probably the best. Keating was an exceptional Treasurer but a very poor PM IMO, too much acquiescence to the new left there.

You do know that the ALP are just as cosy with big banks and old money as the Libs? Or haven't you heard about Shorten's association with the high society of Melbourne? If the issue is big business using big government to create an unfair advantage over the rest of us (cronyism at its worst, to be sure), then creating more government is just going to lead to the same outcome.

Oh and you do know most of us Liberals don't actually come from that sort of a background; that's all media spin at its worst. I can tell you honestly that most of us come from pretty ordinary, middle-class backgrounds.
Silly how there's a dichotomy in the right's worldview of Lib vs Labour when it isn't really the case. Pointing out Shorten's inadequacies (which most certainly exist) doesn't forgive the failings on the right and doesn't make anyone who criticises the latter a hypocrite.

I know tons of young libs and almost all are upper class but tbh that doesn't bother me, identity politics is tiring. My grievances lie with the fact that they don't care about young people at all, climate change, housing affordability, so on are all issues where we as young people are being shafted.

Also lol I never claimed all libs are bankers I gave them as an example of a constituency that benefits from the lnp and therefore should support em

Last edited:

Orwell

HSC
Wow, whatever impressions of the Young Libs you have must come from a place that's totally unknown to me. My branch is full of young people trying to make a change and that's really what we concern ourselves with.

Kolmias

HSC
Wow, whatever impressions of the Young Libs you have must come from a place that's totally unknown to me. My branch is full of young people trying to make a change and that's really what we concern ourselves with.
Why the hell would the Young Libs "try to make a change"?

They're conservatives ffs

Kolmias

HSC
"A little more money, a little more religion, a lot less soul"

HSC
Silly how there's a dichotomy in the right's worldview of Lib vs Labour when it isn't really the case. Pointing out Shorten's inadequacies (which most certainly exist) doesn't forgive the failings on the right and doesn't make anyone who criticises the latter a hypocrite.

I know tons of young libs and almost all are upper class but tbh that doesn't bother me, identity politics is tiring. My grievances lie with the fact that they don't care about young people at all, climate change, housing affordability, so on are all issues where we as young people are being shafted.

Also lol I never claimed all libs are bankers I gave them as an example of a constituency that benefits from the lnp and therefore should support em
You criticise the dichotomy of the traditional Libs vs Labor standard and then go on to typecast my party viewpoint as that of the whole right; I'd call that hypocritical. And I do call criticising the Libs while giving the ALP a free pass as hypocrisy by the way, since invariably Labor always gets away with little scrutiny on their ties to money and wealth. All of that is directed towards the Coalition, not just some of the time, but a great deal of the time. You criticised my use of the two-party dichotomy so I'll expand the spectrum even further; those even more left, such as the Greens, are also more than happy to give their preferences to Labor too, again proving that many on the Left either ignore or actively abet those with rich connections.

Sounds very vague to me. Unless you are apart of the Young Liberals, I doubt you could attest to this with any sort of legitimacy. I actually know Young Liberals, not as left-wing folklore but as flesh and blood; I can tell you that your preconceived notions of who we are and what we do are certainly not true. Do not equate principle with indifference. Simply because we believe that there is a certain way of doing things; that you shouldn't interfere in a free marketplace; that people should be able to keep more of what they earn; that our problems as (young) people are no more serious than those that afflict the old and everyone in between - doesn't mean we don't care. It's easy as hell to be generous with other people's money; it's easy as hell to be perpetually active; but it's much harder to do what is sometimes required - to say NO.

Bankers benefit much more under a left-wing system or mixed economy, where competition is minimal and choice is diluted. They can set their prices without fear of consumers choosing elsewhere or use their significance in the economy to cosy up to the government, whose size and power simply beget corruption. A truly Capitalist system, one built much more or wholly upon voluntarily exchange is the real threat to the big banks, not stern left-wing rhetoric. And that is why when there's a choice between a bigger government and smaller government, the big banks and corporations will inevitably side with the former; side with people like Barack Obama over Ron Paul.

Last edited:
HSC
Why the hell would the Young Libs "try to make a change"?

They're conservatives ffs
Not necessarily. You'd be amazed at how 'moderate' the moderates actually *are* in the party; they're practically Fraserist.

Last edited:

Eudemonic

HSC
I'm happy to criticise Shorten too, there's no hypocrisy here. Also I don't see where I assume your views, other than in your capacity as a member of the the Liberal party.

To your last paragraph, this isn't really true in principle but might be if your definition of left-wing is Clintonite neoliberals. Still I'd say the deregulation of the finance sector, abolishment of the fiduciary rule and other measures which ease the ability to prey on vulnerable people tip the balance in the favour of the Right.

I would agree that being Conservative doesn't mean maintaining the status quo, it does have ideology (traditional values, free market)

EDIT: Orwell what could 'retrospective" possibly even mean in this context?

Last edited:

Orwell

HSC
I simply mean that the particular policies, conventions and legalities in place that have proven to be effective (or at least far more effective than those born from Labour leftist sentiment) are being undermined by our political correctness. i.e. Refugees.

Eudemonic

HSC
I mean Labour has adopted the coalition policy on Asylum Seekers so by your view that would be an example of Labour modifying its views by evidence and public sentiment.

HoldingOn

HSC

Why would you care about climate change when it doesn't exist?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)