[Poll] - Should I learn how to program before starting Uni? (1 Viewer)

Should I learn how to program before starting University?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just learn the basics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Hi

I plan to make a decision on which Bachelor to undertake based on STAT results, replies to this forum topic & personal overview of the below degrees.

Here are the courses I'm looking at;

Macquarie University

Bachelor of Information Systems
Bachelor of Computer Science
Bachelor of Information Technology
Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Information Technology

University of Western Sydney

Bachelor of Computer Science
Bachelor of Computing (Networks)
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
Bachelor of Science (Business Information Technology)
Bachelor of Information and Communications Technology (ICT)

I've seen some comments saying that I shouldn't learn how to program before starting to Uni, as I'll get caught programming the 'wrong way' and will have to 'unlearn' everything I teach myself.

What are your thoughts on this?

If you think I should learn a programming language before starting University, which one should I learn?

Curiously yours,

Hy Zaret

LordPc

HSC
I would say the the "wrong way" thing is mainly people who learnt how to program years ago and are stuck in their ways, and therefore are finding it hard to adapt.

if you learn to program a few months before you are taught it by a uni, it shouldnt be too hard to change and modify what you have recently learnt to "the right way"

or you could just learn the right way to begin with. it shouldnt be too hard to find a reputable textbook that teaches you how to program correctly in whatever language u want. (you might be able to find the recommended textbooks for the 1st year computing course and use them)

as for what language, well you could ask around and find out what language(s) you will learn in 1st year (at whichever uni you are going to) and get started on those.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Why maq and uws but not UNSW?

anyway, you don't have to learn to program before going to uni. they'll teach you everything from the beginning. in fact, it's a lot harder to learn on your own than learning at uni so it depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it.

If you want to learn something quickly just to get a feel for it, learn python. if you're serious about learning programming, maybe start with C, C++ or even a functional language like haskell!

btw, you'll barely touch programming in some of those degrees you listed. 'information systems/information science/business information technology' won't have much programming beyond first year or so.

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
I would say the the "wrong way" thing is mainly people who learnt how to program years ago and are stuck in their ways, and therefore are finding it hard to adapt.

if you learn to program a few months before you are taught it by a uni, it shouldn't be too hard to change and modify what you have recently learnt to "the right way"

or you could just learn the right way to begin with. it shouldn't be too hard to find a reputable textbook that teaches you how to program correctly in whatever language u want. (you might be able to find the recommended textbooks for the 1st year computing course and use them)

as for what language, well you could ask around and find out what language(s) you will learn in 1st year (at whichever uni you are going to) and get started on those.
Okay, well I'll try and learn a language a month or so before I start. A little busy now with an MCSE evening class + full-time work...

Why maq and uws but not UNSW?
Because of age. If I'm a non-mature age student, they won't even look at my resume & wealth of certifications, including STAT.
anyway, you don't have to learn to program before going to uni. they'll teach you everything from the beginning. in fact, it's a lot harder to learn on your own than learning at uni so it depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it.

If you want to learn something quickly just to get a feel for it, learn python. if you're serious about learning programming, maybe start with C, C++ or even a functional language like haskell!

btw, you'll barely touch programming in some of those degrees you listed. 'information systems/information science/business information technology' won't have much programming beyond first year or so.
It's the 'beyond first year' which is troubling me. If I don't pass 1st year, I won't get to 2nd.

Please continue the discussion.

Curiously Yours,

Hy Zaret

LordPc

HSC
It's the 'beyond first year' which is troubling me. If I don't pass 1st year, I won't get to 2nd.
what he means is that if you do computer science, then you will be programming throughout the degree

if you do information systems/ business tech then you will only do programming in 1st year (and it might only be light programming too) because, from what I understand, those kind of degrees are much more commerce central and only basic programming skills are required.

if you want to learn C, these lectures will ease you into it

YouTube - Lecture 1: Higher Computing 1 - Richard Buckland UNSW 2008

it would be best if you got some sort of textbook though, so that you have some problems which you can code solutions too. practice is the key part of programming

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Get the free Online MIT Course Materials and do a unit from that - they use Python though I think.

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
what he means is that if you do computer science, then you will be programming throughout the degree

if you do information systems/ business tech then you will only do programming in 1st year (and it might only be light programming too) because, from what I understand, those kind of degrees are much more commerce central and only basic programming skills are required.

if you want to learn C, these lectures will ease you into it

YouTube - Lecture 1: Higher Computing 1 - Richard Buckland UNSW 2008

it would be best if you got some sort of textbook though, so that you have some problems which you can code solutions too. practice is the key part of programming
Ah, I see. Well I'm still considering which course to get into. In fact, I'll create a topic about it.
Get the free Online MIT Course Materials and do a unit from that - they use Python though I think.
I did find a nice list a few days ago, here;
The IT Humidor

LatK7

HSC
I would recommend reading texts about programming languages and paradigms. If you want to go further, learning basic C/C++ can't hurt if you take it pretty easily. It would help quite a lot if you were to do any first semester programming units.

Ben1220

HSC
all good advice here. They don't assume any programming knowledge at Melbourne University, and I assume the same is true everywhere else, so you won't need to learn it before hand. But I picked up python the month or two before uni started, which gave me a head start. Of course I did things "the wrong way" at first, but I guess I hadn't done enough programming for this to be something that needed to be "unlearnt" It won't hurt to figure out how if statements, while and for loops, functions and basic data types work. Just learn the basics if you want, that will probably be the first few weeks of Uni anyway. In Theory, Computer Science is much more then just programming, programming is sort of a prerequisite knowledge that is required for some areas of computer science, but in practice, all universities would need to spend quite some time getting undergraduates programming skills up to the level required to study computer science. If you do software engineering you will probably learn about software design and how to program "the right way" and all that stuff in later years. We use python in first year at Melbourne Uni, probably because its so easy to use. Its not a bad idea to start with python, there are plenty of online tutorials and stuff that can teach you the basics.

LordPc

HSC
just to comment on this, yes, all universities dont assume that you have programming experience and they teach it to you from scratch.

however, if you do learn to program a little bit, even if it just basics, then you will find the first few weeks easier, which can help you to settle into the university lifestyle

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for your advice!

I would recommend reading texts about programming languages and paradigms. If you want to go further, learning basic C/C++ can't hurt if you take it pretty easily. It would help quite a lot if you were to do any first semester programming units.
Thanks, I'll follow the aforementioned book. If I get through it with time to spare before Uni, I'll request something else to read/study regarding programming.
all good advice here. They don't assume any programming knowledge at Melbourne University, and I assume the same is true everywhere else, so you won't need to learn it before hand. But I picked up python the month or two before uni started, which gave me a head start. Of course I did things "the wrong way" at first, but I guess I hadn't done enough programming for this to be something that needed to be "unlearnt" It won't hurt to figure out how if statements, while and for loops, functions and basic data types work. Just learn the basics if you want, that will probably be the first few weeks of Uni anyway. In Theory, Computer Science is much more then just programming, programming is sort of a prerequisite knowledge that is required for some areas of computer science, but in practice, all universities would need to spend quite some time getting undergraduates programming skills up to the level required to study computer science. If you do software engineering you will probably learn about software design and how to program "the right way" and all that stuff in later years. We use python in first year at Melbourne Uni, probably because its so easy to use. Its not a bad idea to start with python, there are plenty of online tutorials and stuff that can teach you the basics.
Well I'm looking at UNSW, UWS, UTS & Macquarie, do any of those use Python?
just to comment on this, yes, all universities dont assume that you have programming experience and they teach it to you from scratch.

however, if you do learn to program a little bit, even if it just basics, then you will find the first few weeks easier, which can help you to settle into the university lifestyle
Okay, I'll do so. I'd like a chance to settle into Uni, if I get in.
its always good to be ahead and prepared in advance
Thanks, I'll try my best to be

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
yes, learn to program before you start uni! I highly recomend it. At least learn the basics.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
If you do Computer Science at UNSW, I'll see you there.
Don't worry, I only know basic C (the right way) and I don't plan to learn anymore until uni, so you're not alone.

HyZaret

HSC
N/A
^Would you think that's enough for University?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

youngminii: I can only hope I'll get in

MaNiElla: I'm quitting work so I'll have time to

lizey: If I get into that University (1st Choice) then I'll apply myself to learning C

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)