Polyatomic Ions (1 Viewer)

_Anonymous

HSC
My teacher told me that we need to memorise Polyatomic Ions for the HSC, so my question was; how many of them do we need to memorise? Usually, people give a select few (maybe 10-15) but those vary from different sources, so how many and which ones should I try and memorise?

Sp3ctre

HSC
The main ones I can think of right now that you need to know are hydroxide, nitrate, carbonate, sulfate, phosphate and ammonium. Someone might need to add to this list if I’ve missed something

Karldahemster

Student
HSC
My teacher told me that we need to memorise Polyatomic Ions for the HSC, so my question was; how many of them do we need to memorise? Usually, people give a select few (maybe 10-15) but those vary from different sources, so how many and which ones should I try and memorise?
You're better off learning all of them otherwise you might get a curveball questiom involving an ion you don't know.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
You're better off learning all of them otherwise you might get a curveball questiom involving an ion you don't know.
For those even if you forgot what it was, you can always figure out the charge by using lewis dot structures. It does take a few minutes, but is best choice to use if you don't know

_Anonymous

HSC
People say there are an indefinite amount of Polyatomic ions, so it'd be impossible to remember them all. Should I just remember the common ones like; Carbonate, Chromite, Hypochlorite, Nitrate, Nitrite, Permanganate, Phosphate, Phosphite, Sulfate and Sulfite? Will that suffice or are there more I should remember?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
People say there are an indefinite amount of Polyatomic ions, so it'd be impossible to remember them all. Should I just remember the common ones like; Carbonate, Chromite, Hypochlorite, Nitrate, Nitrite, Permanganate, Phosphate, Phosphite, Sulfate and Sulfite? Will that suffice or are there more I should remember?
yeah remembering the common ones such as those you listed above is suffice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)