Polygamy in Australia... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Of course it fucking has a place in our culture. That's like saying "Does atheism have a place in our culture or is it too different?" Only the people opposed to it will say no.
Yeah, I know.

I don't really have an opinion either way. Well, actually, I think it should be legal. But I was wondering what people in general think.

Cowbell

HSC
Just because the Bible mentions a trait or act of an individual (even a godly person) does not necessarily mean that the scripture endorses such behaviour. For exmaple, the Bible describes Noah becomming drunk and disgracing himself, his behaviour was hardly condoned.

The Bible clearly gives God's intent for marriage and sexuality. God created our bodies for Him, not so that we can do with it whatever we want. God's will is that no one would use their body in any way contrary to His plan;

I Corinthians 6:13
The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body."

I Corinthians 6:20
"Therefore, honor God with your body."

When asked about marriage and divorce, Jesus said in Matthew 19:4-6;
"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

The proper, Biblical definition of marriage is described as a man, leaving his father and mother, uniting to his wife; so that two can unite as one, one man, one women.
Yeah and just because Harry Potter doesn't mention polygamy doesn't mean it does not endorse it.

I value Harry Potter and The Bible equally when it comes to how heavily they should influence society.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I don't mind the current laws, where if you've entered into a polygamous marriage outside of Australia, all parties are protected in case of divorce. So say in the case of multiple wives, only one wife is counted for tax/govt payment purposes. But all wives are protected equally in case of divorce.

I think these days it counts for de facto relationships as well. So straight, gay or polygamous, if you fit the criteria for a de facto relationship you have similar rights to a spouse in case of a split.

I think. Been a while since I've had to do legal studies.

HSC
fuck this sort of discussion hurts my head

"legalise it ye its not hurting anyone and removes any sticky legal implacations. Consenting adults should be able to have whatever consenting interpersonal relationships they want!" (freedom team)

"no we interepret the ______ (out of date religious book) to say that you can only have 1 partner, of the opposite sex. even though aforementioned religious book has many instances of other relationships"
(christfags rebuttle)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)