• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Polygamy vs Monogamy (2 Viewers)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
googooloo said:
I have never heard of this! You can remarry. YOu just wait 3months. Then you can search for anothe. 3months minimum so you can get over hte last one. YOu can remarry the same guy again or same woman again (which ever side of sexuality you are on.) But the woman must marry someone else first. Then if she becomes availabel again you can marry her again. But if it doesn't work out again you can never marry agin, becuase it means it is not meant to be (it's not working out:uhhuh:), and an unhappy home is no place to raise a child.
Googooloo I was refering to 'The mother's of the believers' (i.e the wives of the prophet) Ive refered to the verses in the Quran, u need to read the rest of my post!

I cant even remember when I made that post, twas a while back!

physician

HSC
SashatheMan said:
thats called oppression. your religion forbid them to live their life how they would desire just becuase "they were muslims"
NO, no, no. Ur mistaken there, U said "Islam (i.e the religion i folow and believe in) forbid them to live their life how they would desire"...ur mistaken there, because the way they wanted to live thier lives was as governed in the Quran, they chose to be Muslims, they wanted to be Muslims, and they grew to be exceptional scholars of Islam, Thats the way they desired to live thier lives, so once again ur wrong, it's not called oppression, when ur follwing something u willingly want to follow!!! Islam was not forced upon them!

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
physician said:
NO, no, no. Ur mistaken there, U said "Islam (i.e the religion i folow and believe in) forbid them to live their life how they would desire"...ur mistaken there, because the way they wanted to live thier lives was as governed in the Quran, they chose to be Muslims, they wanted to be Muslims, and they grew to be exceptional scholars of Islam, Thats the way they desired to live thier lives, so once again ur wrong, it's not called oppression, when ur follwing something u willingly want to follow!!! Islam was not forced upon them!
umm yeh , thats why those 4 christians in iraq for example are nearly beheaded because they were christian. in countries were islam is the dominant religion it doesnt just let other religions cooexist.

physician

HSC
SashatheMan said:
umm yeh , thats why those 4 christians in iraq for example are nearly beheaded because they were christian. in countries were islam is the dominant religion it doesnt just let other religions cooexist.
Whats ur point exactly... (How was that relevant to what I was saying?)

umm yeh, and thats why the guy who supposedly is with Osama Bin Laden appealed to the captors from a prison, as even he thought it was wrong!

And Islam was not forced upon the wives of the Prophet (going back to the poeple i was initially referring to in my post).

At the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him), people were being killed because they were Muslims, not the other way around.. once again why ur post is irrelevent to what I was saying!

Last edited:

Riqtay

Assistant Member
HSC
Islam's view of polygamy is very simple. It allows men to marry up to 4 women under certain situations when it becomes necessary for both preserving the health of society and the rights of women to have this provision availible.

Imagine a small country of one million men of marriagable age and the same number of women. If this provision was taken (ie each man marrying 4 women) then inevitably, 250,000 men will marry one million women and 750,000 men will be without a wife. This is not an ideal situation for men marrying up to 4 wives.

However an example of a situation for this provision to be implemented is Germany after WWII. It was a time when a society was severely distrubed, where the balance of male and female population was severely disturbed.

Germany was left with no solution to the problem. The strictly monogamous taching of Christianity could offer no relief. As such the people of Germany had to suffer the consequence of these imbalances. There was a large number of virgins, dejected spinsters and yound widows for whom it was impossible to get married because of the severe shortage of males of marrying age.

I must stress that the provision of marrying upto 4 wives is only suitable in certain circumstances (ie in a postwar period).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)