• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Polynomials Question. (1 Viewer)

seanieg89

HSC
If x,y,z are complex numbers such that: , prove that:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Let x,y,z be the roots of a cubic polynomial:

We define:

It's not *too* difficult to show that S_n satisfies the following recursive relationship for n > 3. I can put the proof in if you like.

Where the base cases are:

So we want to find S_11, and we will do so using the recursive relationship we have:

And so working recursively and with a bit of algebra, we acquire:

Which is the desired result.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I just realised, we don't really need to prove the recursive relationship (do we?). We can see by inspection that its Characteristic Polynomial is just P(x) !

deswa1

HSC
How long do you reckon it would take to multiply out the whole of the RHS and simplify?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
How long do you reckon it would take to multiply out the whole of the RHS and simplify?
I can't imagine it being too long if you can see what to do...

x + y + z = 0

x = -(y+z)

Raise both sides to the power of 11:

x^11 = -(y+z)^11

Expand using Binomial expansions but GROUP the first term with the last term, second with second last etc etc and use symmetry of Pascals triangle (or the C(n,k) = C(n,n-k) argument, same thing) to group terms. You will get a pretty nice expression.

Since we have 11 in the factorial (in the numerator), we can factorise it out and combine with the LHS once we've moved the y^11 and z^11 terms over, yielding the LHS of the required expression.

So our job now is to prove that what we have left (in the RHS) is the same as seanieg's RHS.

seanieg89

HSC
I just realised, we don't really need to prove the recursive relationship (do we?). We can see by inspection that its Characteristic Polynomial is just P(x) !
Nice way of looking at it! Of course the direct proof of the recursive relation is just summing the equation (x^k)P(x)=0 over the roots of P, where k is a natural number. Would rep but need to share it apparently...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)