Possible to switch from Standard to Adv English? (1 Viewer)

Matador

HSC
Hey guys, wanted to know if it was possible at all to switch from Standard to Adv English, especially if I go well in this first assessment coming up. Heard the aligning is absolute horse sh*t in Standard so I was hoping to move up at any chance given.

leehuan

HSC
Don't believe so, as the prelim advanced course would be assumed knowledge. But if you become one of the <1% in standard to get a band 6 then, your ATAR isn't going to go down come scaling either.

As the saying goes, if you can get a band 6 in advanced you can also get it in standard. The alignment for standard and advanced are always made to be very similar, if not identical. Although condescending, the harsh truth is that the lack of band 6 standard is just due to incapability.

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
Hey guys, wanted to know if it was possible at all to switch from Standard to Adv English, especially if I go well in this first assessment coming up. Heard the aligning is absolute horse sh*t in Standard so I was hoping to move up at any chance given.
if you do extremely well in your assessment task(s) then you could have a chance to move up... if not, just flop out your realistic atar.

leehuan

HSC
if you do extremely well in your assessment task(s) then you could have a chance to move up... if not, just flop out your realistic atar.
Only thing is, I don't think he is a prelim student so...

rawrliongirl

HSC
They don't usually allow you to move up, especially since you've already completed the prelim standard english course.

Matador

HSC
Well i'll see how this speech goes, if I get in that high band5/band 6 range I'll talk to my teacher about it aswell.

Only thing is, I don't think he is a prelim student so...
But the content doesn't get carried on at all from prelim, at least that's what I've been told. I mean the only thing that I can think of that is carried is the extent of the analytical/critical thinking skills learned during prelim - stuff along those lines. That probably is the major difference between the two, and when I look at the upcoming assessments this year, the descriptions/questions are almost identical. So I think it'll just come down to how much time and effort I'm willing to put into it.

Someone give me some guidance if I'm wrong.

leehuan

HSC
Well i'll see how this speech goes, if I get in that high band5/band 6 range I'll talk to my teacher about it aswell.

But the content doesn't get carried on at all from prelim, at least that's what I've been told. I mean the only thing that I can think of that is carried is the extent of the analytical/critical thinking skills learned during prelim - stuff along those lines. That probably is the major difference between the two, and when I look at the upcoming assessments this year, the descriptions/questions are almost identical. So I think it'll just come down to how much time and effort I'm willing to put into it.

Someone give me some guidance if I'm wrong.
It doesn't in English but unfortunately that is irrelevant. Especially since English advanced do slightly more demanding modules that require questions to be approached in a different manner.

Take Module B. Close study of text is kind of obvious as to what that asks you. But the Critical study of text actually forces you to make a very distinct evaluation throughout your essay in that it is your interpretation of the text.

Module A can't really be compared (irony coming). Experience through language, be it distinctive voices or distinctively visual as opposed to Comparative study of text and context, be it intertextual connections or intertextual perspectives, both have an area of focus. But the comparative study gives you TWO related texts for starters (instead of asking for one related). It also calls forth context to be demanding as it is in the actual name of the module. Additionally, the electives are on completely different levels.

Whilst the marking is similar, unfortunately the nature of the courses differ quite noticeably and much more experience is gained through advanced to drop than from standard to move up.

just_a_lamb

HSC
Funny enough, i just moved up from standard to advanced. You need put more effort on advanced, especially your essay skills.

leehuan

HSC
Dunno how they let you. But given that anything's possible.

leehuan

HSC
I ranked 7th...
Rank doesn't serve as justification on it's own if you ask me. They still teach you with slight differences due to the nature of the modules in standard and advanced. Where advanced ones are slightly more tedious.

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
Rank doesn't serve as justification on it's own if you ask me. They still teach you with slight differences due to the nature of the modules in standard and advanced. Where advanced ones are slightly more tedious.
some schools send dodgy shit to bos. should be all g

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Very unlikely, at my school anyways because, a true Standard student has very distinct differences to the Advanced students

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)