Post Grad Vet - MSc(Vet) (1 Viewer)

hey guys, has anyone done this course? Does it allow you to become actually become a vet like have your own practice or do you have to do undergrad vet science to do that =\ the usyd site was kind of unhelpful in regards to what kind of stuff you do in this course... any help would be appreciated, thanks ^__^

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I thought masters degrees were for ppl who have completed the relevant undergrad degree and want to pursue an area of interest further.

ohh.. i see... i'm actually doing bachelor degree elsewhere and i was wondering if its possible to actually become a vet after i graduate - or is doing BVSc the only way to get there?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
BVetsci is the only way to do it
You might be able to get exemption for a few subjects in first year if you're doing a science related course but apart from that you'll have to do the whole 5 years. (was it 5? hmm)

X

xeuyrawp

I think the poster thought that a Master's degree was necessary to practice, like it is with Chiropractry etc.

X

xeuyrawp

Damage Inc. said:
No, I believe he thinks you can complete any undergraduate degree then do Post Grad vet and become a vet, rather than trying to get into BVSc to become one.
Oh, so Graduate. I getcha.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Bob.J said:
BVetsci is the only way to do it
You might be able to get exemption for a few subjects in first year if you're doing a science related course but apart from that you'll have to do the whole 5 years. (was it 5? hmm)
Yeah Bob's right.

You will get exemption for *some* subjects, depending on the degree you did (also whether or not the subjects match up or not) and where. Theyre rather picky about what you get exemption for and really make sure that everything is pretty much the same.

fungrz said:
ohh.. i see... i'm actually doing bachelor degree elsewhere and i was wondering if its possible to actually become a vet after i graduate - or is doing BVSc the only way to get there?
Why dont you try a transfer? If not, theres also the option of you finishing your degree and entering as well. for both cases they count your GPA in your previous degree, a mark in STAT (this is an external test through UAC) and a "committment to veterinary science" component where you talk about how youve worked in the industry and your experiences with animals. Transfers are quite competitive and about 25 HECS places are allocated every year and if youre keen, then theres about the same number of Fee spots as well.

ahh thanks guys - i dont think i'll be getting any exemption, im doing B.Commerce at UNSW atm :\

I was just confused from the stuff they give on USYD vet website... where it says

Master of Science in Veterinary Science MSc(Vet)

Entry requires:

Bachelor's degree with honours first or second class

and i thought it meant it's possible to become a vet after completing any bachelor :\

Last edited by a moderator:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
MPharmacy allows you to do a 3 year sceince degree then 2 years masters and you become a pharmacist. But I'm not sure whether this applies to MVet too.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
fungrz said:
ahh thanks guys - i dont think i'll be getting any exemption, im doing B.Commerce at UNSW atm :\

I was just confused from the stuff they give on USYD vet website... where it says

Master of Science in Veterinary Science MSc(Vet)

Entry requires:

Bachelor's degree with honours first or second class

and i thought it meant it's possible to become a vet after completing any bachelor :\
No you dont become a vet with this course, you need to do a BVSc to become a vet. The above course you stated i beleive is a research course in the veterinary field and follows on from prefferbly a science degree rather than a commerce one :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)