Post-preference worries (1 Viewer)

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I read an article in the paper recently that there's going to be a shortage of students. Blast me for being stupid if you want, but how will this affect the cutoffs?
My preferences are all under my UAI, so I'd rather think I'm safe in going to uni.

tennille

HSC
Komaticom said:
I read an article in the paper recently that there's going to be a shortage of students. Blast me for being stupid if you want, but how will this affect the cutoffs?
My preferences are all under my UAI, so I'd rather think I'm safe in going to uni.
If there is a shortage fopr the course you want to do, then it might be likely that the UAI cut-offs will drop. Personally, I believe it will get higher once again. But if all of your UAI cut-offs for your preferences are below your UAI, then you have nothing to worry about. :)

jellybeenz

HSC
All my preferences are below my UAI (my UAI--89, 1st pref-- 86)-- however, that doesn't stop me worrying about how much the cut-offs will rise by. I'm going to be devastated if the cut-off of my first preference rises and I don't get in.

What is the likely that you will be offerred a place in Late Round offers when you missed out in Main Round? Does the popularity of a course have anything to do with this? E.g. something popular like Commerce is less likely to offer places in late round offers than something less popular like Engineering??

tennille

HSC
jellybeenz said:
All my preferences are below my UAI (my UAI--89, 1st pref-- 86)-- however, that doesn't stop me worrying about how much the cut-offs will rise by. I'm going to be devastated if the cut-off of my first preference rises and I don't get in.

What is the likely that you will be offerred a place in Late Round offers when you missed out in Main Round? Does the popularity of a course have anything to do with this? E.g. something popular like Commerce is less likely to offer places in late round offers than something less popular like Engineering??
If there aren't enough people in a course, eg. your first choice, then they'll give you an offer in the late rounds (depending on how many people got under that UAI). If you have one of the highest UAIs that is below the cut-off, then you might get an offer in the later rounds (if there is vacancy), otherwise, you probably won't get an offer. So yes, it does depend on the popularity of a course. Something like medical science would be hard to get into during the later rounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)