Post your Major Work! (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Just figured everyone might wanna show off their major work so far, or if it's completed. So i made this as one thread.

Just post your images, anything else you wanna write about your major work.

Also post comments about other people's majors.

owoodley

Ok, Ill be posting some pics of my BOW this afternoon. So what are we all doing, design and concept-wise? My work consists of two 55-55cm abstract-expressionist paintings. Both of these paintings are divided into four different panels, 10cm wide with 5cm gaps between the panels etc. These two abstract paintings will then be hung over backings which will house two different prints of more traditional artist, Seurat/Monet/Titian for example.

The design will allow small strips of the classic/traditional paintings to be visibile throught the gaps in my abstract work. The idea and concept behind the work, relates to contemporary artmaking and the overkill of Postmodernism which takes aways from the beauty of traditional art making.

bubble_tea

hey this is a good idea..

anyway, this is my body of work. It consists of 81 canvasses (7cm x 10cm).

In the beginning, I was struggling for concept ideas and the choice to represent my idea between Graphic design or painting. During year11 I went to the 4a gallery in the city everynow and then to get ideas for my B.o.w and I liked Adrianne Tasker's series of 'Fruits' which were images of apples chopped in half printed on some furry fabric so when I started my b.o.w I emailed her about her artist practise.

My initial plan was based on feng shui, that "Your room reflects your state of mind" and so I went around asking people to take a photo of themself in their room (which wasn't really sucessful). Then when I was studying for the half yearlies, I looked at Cindy Sherman and Yasumasa Morimura's self portraits I got inspired and took a series of shots.

My artwork is a clash where graphic meets the canvas. The innovative graphic design presented traditionally in the form of miniature paintings. I played around with the camera, photoshop and took all the photos by myself. It explores notions of self, identity (as u can tell by the cultural touches), western assimilation, and that everybody chooses to be who they are by how they represent themselves in society (eg. goths, skateys, punks, them crazy jap 'fruits' inspired people, etc).. Its also about how photos lie and yeah.. I also used embroidery, sewing lines and I painted over some of the canvasses.

I dunno if anyones read all that.. but what do you's reckon of it so far? I'm submitting it as a painting, how do you's think it would compare with say a 5 piece painting?

And I'd love to see some of your works too.. :)

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
Well, abstract ain't there to be understood, just enjoyed...I think he'll go well- markers like that sort of stuff.

bubble_tea

yeah i never get abstract either.. :S
but his concept is good! =D i love the brush strokes! what do the colours represent?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
with abstract it's hard to tell if it'll go well with the markers or not.
Something like that... where there is technical skill & abstract will probly go well... Doing something completely off the wall tho.... they might not like that.

That picture tho plays tricks on ur eyes, at first it just looked like nothing but mess, but then i could see that road behind... but u have to really concentrate.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What do u guys think, should i try to make 3 or so more pictures... or leave it at what i have?

Im afraid if i make too many more markers will just think they're techno-garbage that was easy to create..

bubble_tea

Yeah, I agree.. I think you should make more..
Since you're putting it in as graphic design, they're mainly marking you on your ability to use programs to generate art.. Anyways, I think they're beautiful! =P

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
k kool, i'll make some more.

So they mark me on my ability to use the programs? or how quickly i can generate 100's of artish looking things from programs?

cuz i know a guy, made nothing but canvases on the computer... painted blue, with dark blue background, light blue text saying 'blue'

he said the meaning was the capture the pure form of colours which create the beautiful things we see..

would this be a good artwork?

bubble_tea

Lol, well i had a debate against my art teacher.. I wanted my work to be submitted as graphic design, and she put it down as painting cuz she said that they'd look at it from a structural point of view (ur use of the program) if its put down as graphic.. *shrugs* Since its structural, they'd prolly wanna see your efforts and how much you can do.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
i personally thought it was a fukn stoopid idea...
like.. the concept of pure colour, i get that..

but to me he was just bored, used the paint bucket tool with some text, made up a lot of bs to go with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)