Postmodernism (1 Viewer)

Emma_Kate

HSC
What did you all think?

I really liked both questions, especially the essay!
But did anyone else think that writing a story about independence and dependence didn't have anything to do with postmodernism? I just thought it was odd. But worked for one of my ideas so I was all good.

HSC
I thought it was fine. I wouldn't say it was super-duper easy, but it was manageable.

The creative was so strange. I made it up on the spot. I wasn't completely sure either what the independence/dependence thing meant, but I could work with it so it was alright.

Essay was good too. Pretty much fit with my prepared one. I just moulded it a bit. I think I could have answered the question a bit better, but I'm not going to worry about it.

Red-Wine-&-Joni

HSC
I made a mess of the essay. But oh well.

But that creative writing! LOVED it!! My story was about a man sitting reading a book, "indepedant of the one who wrote them, yes, but depedant on the words themselves" and he begins to believe that he is writing the story as he reads it. Used lots of voices and self reflexivity. So happy.

sarah89

HSC
definetley a good paper. id psyched myself out thinking it would be reallly difficult, and it wasnt.

creative, i explored the need for independence of a character from their author (hard to explain, but silent characters in texts eg. Queen Lear and such had escaped from purgatory for disobeying their character contracts and ended up in the middle of postmodern revolution) and the responder's loathing of being dependent upon a composer in order to draw meaning.

essay was awesome. simple, easy, just adapted my trial and kept on emphasizing the whole uncertainty and possibility thing.

better go well. this is my best subject. hmmm
extension gets scaled well, right?

Esqarial

HSC
I thought both were fantastic - fantastic though in the sense that I'd prepared both questions and could recite them word for word - both the essay and creative stimuli meant I could cater them with a minimum of fuss.

I thought the pictures were fantastic, and even in my relatively small group there seemed to some really varied responses for question nine.

My creative was from the perspective of a character in Ulysses demanding their liberation from Joyce, so ultimately the in/dependence dichotomy worked fantastically.

I might post it up later to get other impressions, I've got a draft on the comp uterthat vaguely emulates what I wrote down this morning..

And by the way. Ext.1 scaled at around 37/50 in 2001-3, so it's clearly well above the mean. As a few points of reference, Drama is around 25, Physics 31, Latvian Continuers 46, etc etc, but I can't find the link just now.

Last edited:

gracie007

HSC
I was fine with the essay, but in the reading time when I saw the creative writing piece, I started to shit myself. Luckily, I'm good at creative and can think up fairly good material on the spot, so I did just that. Now I just have to wait and see whether my ideas paid off :)

LISOC

HSC
i was quietly confident entering the exam and i knew that i'd be okay with my essay as it's a strong point for me. i tried interjecting deeper analysis of my texts as that was what i'd been lacking in previous essays...i'm hoping that i didn't subconsciously waffle! lol

the stimulus picture for the creative was ridiculous! ugh. i interpretted the 'in/dependence' as postmodernism's need for bias, centralities and grand narratives etc to exist in order for their theories to have something to oppose. therefore postmodernism's independence as a theory is intrinsically linked to its dependence on stimulus. i tried personifying the superiority of postmodernism in derrida i.e. his theory of deconstruction rejecting the credibility of all texts vs. its dependence on these texts to exist.

ending: derrida drowns in his own thoughts. teehehe. *i'm so witty, oh so witty* (not).

Mozric

HSC
Yeah, I thought the creative question especially was a bit odd. I just did what I always do and went crazy for an hour. I managed to fit the supervisor in the story, and I heard some Tool on a distant stereo during the exam, so Vicarious lyrics went in there for no particular reason. I went a little balistic with the perspective and tense, but managed to end with the death of the author with is always good ("screw you Barthes!").
I'll either do really well because it's very postmodern. Or the marker will be all like "wtf" and say it's crap.

I'm proud of my essayin' skillz, I think I did quite nicely really, a good improvement on my trials.
No more English! One more exam! That's the main thing. Or things.

vigNETTE

HSC
Well I didn't have a prepared one for either of them, but I'm still really really pleased with what I came up with. It took me a while to get into my story, but I had fun pretending to be a, um, lamp and a 'seagull' (it was either that or an albatross). Lol, sounds dumb, but it's not, I'm just wayyy too tired to detail it. But yeah, the independence/dependence thing was a bit odd, but that's okay, it was easily accomodated. I'm pleased with my essay too. Sounds like everyone here is, so that's good. Yay! Finished!

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
ok so i do individual and society but because i did pomo in extension two i thought i'd ditch my prepared i&s generic (which didn't fit) and rewrote a pomo story i invented earlier

in short, if i beat you, you are noob.

but i don't think i hit a b6 for creative :(

anyways onto my idea bah its gonna suck cause my theory is all wishy-washy but it basically went

1) i took the light as being a reference to shakespeare's works i.e. romeo and juliet threw in a couple of references to 'let there be light' connected with 'there is nothing new under the sun' i.e. pomo in authoritative religious texts like the bible and how r&j has much light/dark imagery 'lighter and lighter it grows, darker and darker our woes' hmm

2) the bird in the background i took as the albatross from coleridge's rime of the ancient mariner. parodied and subverted water, water everywhere etc etc

3) the books i took as definitive texts from the literary canon i.e. paradise lost, canterbury tales and how because of 'dead white males' this has become a subversive paradigm of pomo society

AND so i linked them all through a noob meta-narrator (that would be me) who simply didn't understand how the conventions of pomo worked (well i don't really, at least on the hsc level, i can spout lyotard and derrida but the hsc syllabus is overly left-wing and anarchistic for my liking) AND SO parodying pomo through self-reflexivity

and then i break the fourth wall at the end to reveal the author 'death of the authorr' lol because meta-narrator gets killed, author in a deus ex machina connects with audience, no didactic ending because foucault himself said open-ended denouements are standard and the end.

tell me i'm good :eek: not really haha

Chrispy

vote for dtp = <3
HSC
Creative piece was a joke.

Essay was alright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)