Postmodernism (1 Viewer)

himmy6996

HSC
How did you go?

essay was weird, wrote a really weird creative

oldskoolsoldier

HSC
Wasn't too bad i didn't do much preparation but i thought my essay was okay. Talked about how "while pleasure is key to maintaining interest in all fiction it is the anxiety tcreated by the callenge to modernist ideals that is the true pleasure of Postmodernism". Used If on a Wineters Night A Traveller, Orlando, Daylight by Aesop Rock and Fight CLub.

Creative writing i had zilch clues i made up some stuff like the book had a bunch of chapters each one destabalising a different aspect of the metanarrative and the last was a story that only finished when the reader (his name was "You") accepted the flaws of modernism or something. It was really badly written though i was coming off a few late nights.

Im also curious to know what other schools did modernism cus it seems kinda uncommon (i go to Holy Cross College in Ryde)

v.for.veronica

HSC
hey

I said that postmodern was a delicate balance between anxiety and pleasure (wtf, WEIRD choice of vocab in question!!! o_O) because of the uncertainties and freedoms which postmodernism creates (like... yeah. right. totally.).

fit in well with Dead White Males and not particularly well with anything else... =(

creative writing, well that was weird.. did my usual postmodern BS for a couple pages, then got bored and turned the book into an evil vampire book with Nasty Sharp Teeth (I hope the marker knows their Monty Python) ... didn't put in anything about postmodern theory though ><"

weird questions, eh?

kloudsurfer

HSC
That was a crap question! Once I got my head around it I was fine though. I just made up something about anxiety caused by the challenge to conventions blah blah blah...

The creative was easy. The book fit perfectly with my creative!

HSC
I read it and loled- literally. People looked at me. The essay question sounded like an orgasm. That was my first thought.

I just talked about how yeah... postmodernism causes anxiety to conforom to previously held conventions. And how in order to find the ultimate pleasure of postmodernism, composers have to reveal their own anxiety in relation to such conventions to change and challenge them. Actually I had numerous line of argument... oops, really should have stuck to one. I'm hoping for 20/25. And Creative writing... I only left 25 minutes to do it. But I think it was OK, the book roughly suited my prepared story so that was cool. I just made it heaps ambiguous because I didn't really have time to develop a proper plot :S

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Another one for anxiety = challenging literary conventions and societal norms. Pleasure in freedom and whatnot, just worded it about fifty million different fancy ways. I don't think I did enough with it though, feel like I didn't write enough, especially in the way of quotes - got to 10.5 pages though, so I dunno.

Creative was made up on the spot sort of, I had an idea about time travel so I used that and then having the book there made it perfect. I'm sad we dont get our papers back afterwards - I'd like to have record of the retarculousness I submitted. 20, and 19? Hopefully? I did the self-reflexive-authorial-intrusion bits in bright blue ink, and the rest in black, because I like mixing colours. Exams normally look so boring.

blueypw

HSC
i just disagreed with the question.. said it's more about challenging the conventional school of thought kinda thing rather than concerning itself around anxiety.. wtf is that.
I sorta agreed with the pleasure aspect, more in the sense that playfulness is the technique used to question the convention under scrutiny, which in turn generates pleasure.
.. so yeah, moral of the story is. u didn't need to agree with it
who else ignored the book as a "prized posession"?

forevaunited

HSC
blueypw said:
i just disagreed with the question.. said it's more about challenging the conventional school of thought kinda thing rather than concerning itself around anxiety.. wtf is that.
I sorta agreed with the pleasure aspect, more in the sense that playfulness is the technique used to question the convention under scrutiny, which in turn generates pleasure.
*puts up hand* . . . lol i mentioned it in one line of my whole story- at the beginning.... was going to mention it at the end as well, but ran out of time and i was like racing the clock just to get a semi-respectable ending down. I believe I lost.

steff167

HSC
well, i just kinda proved that each of my texts were uncertain or showed a sense of anxiety due to the many conventions of postmodernism like... no absolute truths etc. Then crapped on about how each is playful or 'pleasurable' in conveying this. BLEH! i didnt think dead white males particularly suited to my line of argument and i ended up using FLW and orlando, my chosen texts fitted well though. heaps of people disagreed at my school. It didnt even cross my mind to disagree. Oh i got desperate in the creative writing, my memorised piece didnt suit well at all, i ended up doing a story from the perspective of the book... i think the weirdest piece of writing i have ever done. Im hoping the markers r a little kooky, all ext teachers seem to be. I thought postmodernism was a popular elective :S.

steff167

HSC
well, i just kinda proved that each of the texts were uncertain or anxious about the world, relating it to some of the postmodern conventions such as no absolute truths. I didnt think dead white males fitted that well with my line of argument and ended up using orlando and FLW. It didnt even cross my mind to disagree with the question. Heaps of people did at my school though. Well.. i got a little desperate for my creative, my prepared response didnt really fit that well with the stimulus, so i ended up making a v.weird piece of writing from the perspective of the book. Im hoping the markers r a little kooky, most ext teachers ive come across r a little kooky :). goodluck with it guys! and i was under the impression postmodernism was a quite popular elective.

neada

HSC
oldskoolsoldier said:
Wasn't too bad i didn't do much preparation but i thought my essay was okay. Talked about how "while pleasure is key to maintaining interest in all fiction it is the anxiety tcreated by the callenge to modernist ideals that is the true pleasure of Postmodernism". Used If on a Wineters Night A Traveller, Orlando, Daylight by Aesop Rock and Fight CLub.

Creative writing i had zilch clues i made up some stuff like the book had a bunch of chapters each one destabalising a different aspect of the metanarrative and the last was a story that only finished when the reader (his name was "You") accepted the flaws of modernism or something. It was really badly written though i was coming off a few late nights.

Im also curious to know what other schools did modernism cus it seems kinda uncommon (i go to Holy Cross College in Ryde)
ok my creative sounds quite similar to yours =S i used the ideas presented by lyotard, foucault and derrida and used them to establish different sections of a book, though i think it was quite successful in showing the conventions and undermining realism etc

for essay i said that anxiety stimulates postmodern negation towards realism but pleasure is at the heart in how it is presented through texts; through the use of playfulness

i go to sydney girls high by the way

duckmeister

HSC
blueypw said:
I disagreed with the question too, I went on about how to say any element was crucial or true of all post modern texts was to contradict the denial of a universal truth within post modernism, then went on about how my texts used various elements of pleasure and anxiety but not in all etc etc. I also ignored the book being a "prized possession"... there was actually nothing written in my book and it remained empty the entire time mirroring the nothingness of the characters life. Had fun doing it though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)