• 2-3 hours

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 12 8.1%

• Total voters

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
hahah ah well :) practice is a variable thing and totally depends on how much time you can and intend use for it. i prac 1hr a day average but on weekends i can do upwards of 2-3hrs it all depends :)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Don't practice. Play! "Practice" makes it sound like such a chore :p.

soulshine

HSC
i find it really difficult to practise for long periods of time on wind instruments. i get really tired. its so easy to sit at the piano and play for hours, but for like clarinet... i dunno... maybe its just me... but i get heaps worn out.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
soulshine said:
i find it really difficult to practise for long periods of time on wind instruments. i get really tired. its so easy to sit at the piano and play for hours, but for like clarinet... i dunno... maybe its just me... but i get heaps worn out.
Nick Byrne the trombone guy from the SSO says that you should practice to get better, not to get tired!

Practice doesnt make perfect, but you need PERFECT PRACTICE (dats what my band conductor used to tell us all the time and its sOOOOOOO true cos you will only perform as well you play when u practice so you have to treat each practice session like ur actual performance).

kibb

HSC
geez u guys have so much time.... im a cpt at my skewl as well as sporting committments it makes it difficult for me to practice consistantly each day... how ever i wud get an avg of an hr or so a day usually broken up but sumtimes straight... that dusnt include the group and band rehersals i have.... it seems 2 b working im topping my class wid ease.... altho im stuck doing music 1 cos i am the only student cept maybe 1 other in my skewl that can actually do music 2 work!!!! so frustrating!

soulshine

HSC
yeah kibb man, i hear you with the time factor. I took huge advantage of the past holidays to do some solid practise, but as soon as school gets back i find that an hour a day is usually all i can manage.

You say you are stuck in music 1 coz there werent enough peopl who could do music 2?

I'm the only person in my music2 class. It has its pros and cons...

kibb

HSC
lol thx... im lgad sum1 is in the same situation as me... lol

im sorta glad i stayed in music 1.... its shit easy!

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
I do music 2 and extension, and I'd be lucky to do 6 hours of practise a WEEK, including warming up and vocal excercises, let alone in one day!! I usually practise when and IF I have the time outside the rest of my schoolwork!
Don't worry if you don't do heaps of practise, everyone is different. In my class of 17 my teacher said my performance was one of the only ones up to the standard it should be for the actual HSC performance, and some of these people practise 3-4 hours a day! I can rehearse a piece through once, 3 or 4 days a week and keep it well and truly at concert performance standard. (Here I'm talking Bach oratorios, Mozart ariettas, Gilbert and Sullivan and other musical theatre stuff, not "pop" music.)
Like I said before, everyone works differently!

Last edited:

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Hmm, I feel kinda bad after reading how much everyone practises... I practise maybe an hour a night, usually that's the total of both instruments. I don't have the time or the energy to do any more than that. Also I tend to get bored of pieces really easily, so I don't usually end up working on the same piece for a long period of time, I need to break it up with other stuff. It's possible to improve really fast with not very much practice, but that's only if you concentrate like hell all the time you're playing... which I also don't have the energy to do. :p

HSC
No

FlawlessBassist said:
I practice when ever and not a specific time, but i dont sit down and practice a set thing, more just impro around scales and stuff and just muck round with it.

thats the difference btween a classically-training muso and a rock-muso. My (classical guitar) teacher tells me ther's a huge freaking difference between sitting on my bed, fiddling with the guitar, and actually sitting in a strait-backd chair, practicing properly - that means start off with technical stuf, then play pieces with metronome, work out expression, then run thru them.

It seems to work for rock people to just sort of muck around on their instrument, but what would they sound like if they actually did a structured practice? whooo knooows.

HSC
gahn

FlawlessBassist said:
I practice when ever and not a specific time, but i dont sit down and practice a set thing, more just impro around scales and stuff and just muck round with it.

yeah. rock musos dont need to practice properly because rock is easy as poo.

pristine

HSC
i'm doin music one. but i'm tryin' for the audition for the con.
so, 4 hours on wkdays (cos of scl and all) & 4-6 hours on wkends. altho, i don't practise daily. i'd usually do every 2nd day. methinks that is enough?
damn straight i have no life.

HSC
Phanatical said:
Any practice over 10 minutes is useless, in my opinion. So doing 30 10 minute practises a day is good.
keep those opinions to yourself please! 30-times-ten minute practices? whats with that?

how long between each practice? how do u work on a piece thats longer than 10 minutes? dont you find it ussualy takes about ten minutes just to warm up? I never heard of this 30 times ten minute block thing before ever!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)