Predictions for 2015 HSC Essay Questions (1 Viewer)

JohnnyG

HSC
Hey everybody,

Just thought I'd start a thread where we can all share predictions for the essay questions in this year's economics exam. I think it's unlikely that there will be a case study essay as it tends to be every two years. I think there might be something on monetary policy as that wasn't asked last year- possibly a macroeconomic mix question. Also the BOP hasn't been asked on in an essay question for a few years so that could be seen this year.

Any thoughts?

swagmeister

HSC
I reckon those predictions for the essay Q's would be nice, especially since BOP is arguably one of the most conceptually difficult concepts to grasp and allows a greater differentiation of who actually understands and who just rote learns. The policy mix one would be amazing too because you can BS so much about why having both the demand and supply side of economics working in tandem is integral to fulfilling our economic objectives, and expound from there. Also, you can discount last year's topics of the case study, income distribution, environmental sustainability and inflation; you could in addition rule out exchange rates and trade agreements since they were in the 2013 paper.

However, I would like to say something. Tbh, I never understood why students come up with these predictions in the first place. Although it can possibly reduce your study time predicting what BOSTES could ask, such hypotheticals are absolutely not necessary at all, tbf. Why do I say this? Imo, if you know your content back to front in a holistic sense, and can write a solid essay, then there's no need to guess the essay Q's, because in my experience, through covering all of the syllabus, you shouldn't feel worried that BOSTES will pull something so left-field out of their ass. And if that's what you're still insistent on, then I'd have to say it's very ineffective - and to me, implies laziness. So really, I strongly believe you can do well without guessing how the extended responses will be asked.

I'm sure mreditor will reiterate this as well haha. :)
I agree, but in saying that my I would be surprised if CAD doesn't come up. And also think eco growth could be a good one, hasn't come up in a while (I think?) and is interesting because of the slowdown of the mining boom.

Ekman

HSC
I hope everyone realises that the HSC exam for economics was finalised at the start of the year (around the mid of January), so don't predict questions based on recent events that have occurred this year (such as RBA's drop of the cash rate to 2%)

swagmeister

HSC
I hope everyone realises that the HSC exam for economics was finalised at the start of the year (around the mid of January), so don't predict questions based on recent events that have occurred this year (such as RBA's drop of the cash rate to 2%)
I knew that, but it made me curious - when are the trial exams finalised?

JohnnyG

HSC
I reckon those predictions for the essay Q's would be nice, especially since BOP is arguably one of the most conceptually difficult concepts to grasp and allows a greater differentiation of who actually understands and who just rote learns. The policy mix one would be amazing too because you can BS so much about why having both the demand and supply side of economics working in tandem is integral to fulfilling our economic objectives, and expound from there. Also, you can discount last year's topics of the case study, income distribution, environmental sustainability and inflation; you could in addition rule out exchange rates and trade agreements since they were in the 2013 paper.

However, I would like to say something. Tbh, I never understood why students come up with these predictions in the first place. Although it can possibly reduce your study time predicting what BOSTES could ask, such hypotheticals are absolutely not necessary at all, tbf. Why do I say this? Imo, if you know your content back to front in a holistic sense, and can write a solid essay, then there's no need to guess the essay Q's, because in my experience, through covering all of the syllabus, you shouldn't feel worried that BOSTES will pull something so left-field out of their ass. And if that's what you're still insistent on, then I'd have to say it's very ineffective - and to me, implies laziness. So really, I strongly believe you can do well without guessing how the extended responses will be asked.

I'm sure mreditor will reiterate this as well haha. :)
Yeah I completely agree. Just thought it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts. I definitely think that you should still be able to answer any question thrown at you and I for one will be aiming to go into the exam ready for everything. Still, I don't see any harm in just seeing what people think could pop up.

We could also share essay questions here, whether they be from tasks throughout the year, trials or anywhere else, so we can make sure we know how to answer all questions.

Ekman

HSC
I knew that, but it made me curious - when are the trial exams finalised?
I believe every school has different trials unless you were referring to CSSA trials, in that case I don't really know

swagmeister

HSC
I will be doing another hsc economics prediction later in the yr if there is demand for it. Stay tuned...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
I'm sure there's plenty of demand to meet your supply, looking forward to the equilibrium :p

but yeah I saw your predictions last year and they were really good (although the case study shocked everybody) so I am looking forward to it - any thoughts you could share before trials?

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
I'd say fiscal and to a lesser extent monetary are really highly likely this year. BOP and exchange rates are also on the cards. Wouldn't be surprised with a macro vs. micro for dealing witha specific policy objective essay, or even a fiscal vs. monetary.

That being said, growth had still been quite slow and inflation in the doldrums when the exam was written, so there could very well be something in the context of dealing with low growth/inflation.

swagmeister

HSC
I'd say fiscal and to a lesser extent monetary are really highly likely this year. BOP and exchange rates are also on the cards. Wouldn't be surprised with a macro vs. micro for dealing witha specific policy objective essay, or even a fiscal vs. monetary.

That being said, growth had still been quite slow and inflation in the doldrums when the exam was written, so there could very well be something in the context of dealing with low growth/inflation.
Plus what nobody is said is I hope they would have the audacity to consider future forecasts...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)