Preference Main rounds question. (1 Viewer)

uniqshelppls

HSC
Hi, i was just wondering my atar "xx" (with bonus points) is lower than the cut off of "aa" and i have it listed as my first preference as i want to really do that course but only 2points below am i still able to receive an offer in main rounds?

Also if i don't get into that first preference in main rounds do they look at my second preference or third preference afterwards in the main rounds?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends, which course and at which UNI? What is the cut off? This will determine popularity, and whether or not you have a chance.

uniqshelppls

HSC
Depends, which course and at which UNI? What is the cut off? This will determine popularity, and whether or not you have a chance.
i was thinking of bachelor of commerce with bachelor of science at mq or bachelor of business with bachelor of science at uts.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
MAQ - 81.5
UTS - 85.75

Yes, most likely. Esp for MAQ - very lenient I heard. How many points below are you for MAQ?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
like 3 for maq.
You'll most likely get into MAQ. That course isn't as popular as the ATAR is quite low. For UTS, you'll be like 7-8 points under, which kinda limits ur chances. But, there is still a chance for UTS.

D94

HSC
N/A
Put the course you want to get in to as number 1 and work your way down. If you don't get an offer for your first preference, they move onto your next one, and so on until you receive an offer or your list has been exhausted.

uniqshelppls

HSC
I reckon you would seeing as your only 3 points under. They're very lenient.
Worst case scenario if i don't get into that first preference do i miss the main round or do they look at all the other preferences?

uniqshelppls

HSC
Put the course you want to get in to as number 1 and work your way down. If you don't get an offer for your first preference, they move onto your next one, and so on until you receive an offer or your list has been exhausted.
ahhh cheers makes sense!

So this is for main rounds right? they look at all your preferences in main rounds?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
ahhh cheers makes sense!

So this is for main rounds right? they look at all your preferences in main rounds?
Yes, so as D94 said, put the one you want most, then work your way down.

Update me, and tell me what you get into! All the best!

D94

HSC
N/A
ahhh cheers makes sense!

Yep, main round and late rounds; they only stop looking once you receive an offer or they've completed your list.

uniqshelppls

HSC
Also if i put a course on my preference that i didn't make it with my actual atar but made it with bonus points do i make it in?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Also if i put a course on my preference that i didn't make it with my actual atar but made it with bonus points do i make it in?
Yes! Bonus points literally mean that they are apart of your ATAR. So, instead of them considered you as say attainining an ATAR of 70, they consider you as a person that has attained an ATAR of 80.

D94

HSC
N/A
Simple answer is yes, however you are not actually trying to meet an ATAR cutoff. The uni will offer a set number of places for each course, so you are competing for a spot. UAC lists students who applied for that course from the highest ATAR to lowest ATAR, and so the 'cutoff' is that point where all spots have been filled up (hence, the ATAR of the student who received the last offer becomes the cutoff). The bonus points help you move up in that list of highest to lowest. If the uni permits bonus points for that course, then UAC will automatically include the bonus points with your ATAR when ordering the students who have applied.

Reactions: QZP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)