Preference sheet (1 Viewer)

Hayley23

HSC
How likely are you to get your first university preference if you achieve the right atar?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
As long as the only criteria is your ATAR, it's pretty much guaranteed.

enoilgam

HSC
Cutoffs can vary from year to year so its not 100% guaranteed. However in the vast majority of cases, if you are over the cut-off you should make it in.

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
Cutoffs can vary from year to year so its not 100% guaranteed. However in the vast majority of cases, if you are over the cut-off you should make it in.
What about if you get ATAR bonus points?
Will you get accepted straight away aswell?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What about if you get ATAR bonus points?
Will you get accepted straight away aswell?
For the most part, it doesn't matter as to whether you make the cutoff naturally or make it with the bonus points; the mark is treated equally.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Considering that the cut-offs are unknown, if you get the 'right' ATAR - you're 100% guaranteed.

Unfortunately, your ATAR being equal to or above the cut-off is not 100% guaranteed.

rayy_bann

HSC
Considering that the cut-offs are unknown, if you get the 'right' ATAR - you're 100% guaranteed.

Unfortunately, your ATAR being equal to or above the cut-off is not 100% guaranteed.
Really? I always assumed that if one got 'equal' to the cut-off ATAR, they would be admitted into the course 100% (Besides of course medicine and other courses that have extra requirements as stated).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Really? I always assumed that if one got 'equal' to the cut-off ATAR, they would be admitted into the course 100% (Besides of course medicine and other courses that have extra requirements as stated).
I think he means equal to the cut off of the previous year. As the cut-off changes from year to year, you may make the current cut-off, but that could increase when it's time to get sorted.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
May i ask ?
like if UNSW engineering cut off is around 91, and if i get atar of 93-95 will it be 100% guaranteed that i can get to the course ?
or are they have limited place for each course ? ( do u get my question ? )

Ps. i'm oversea student, i dont know much about Uni system : (

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
May i ask ?
like if UNSW engineering cut off is around 91, and if i get atar of 93-95 will it be 100% guaranteed that i can get to the course ?

The cut-off you see publicised at the moment is a representation of the student which got the lowest ATAR and was accepted in that particular round. These things are subject to change because of adjustments in supply and demand. It's impossible to get an ATAR higher than the cut-off (for the upcoming rounds) and not get accepted unless there were other requirements for entry apart from an ATAR.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
May i ask ?

It won't be 100% guaranteed, because it could jump up to something higher. e.g. it could jump from 91 to 98. It's unlikely, but it's possible, so you can't be sure. However, chances are that if your a few marks over the available cut off, you'll get in.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
The cut-off you see publicised at the moment is a representation of the student which got the lowest ATAR and was accepted in that particular round. These things are subject to change because of adjustments in supply and demand. It's impossible to get an ATAR higher than the cut-off (for the upcoming rounds) and not get accepted unless there were other requirements for entry apart from an ATAR.
so it means there will be limited place for any course.
for example, if Petroleum engineering has 50places for this year and the 50th who can get it has atar 94. So next year cut-off will be 94

is my understanding correct ?

Ps. thank you for answer my question (also Absolutezero)
Ps2. sorry for my bad english

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
so it means there will be limited place for any course.
for example, if Petroleum engineering has 50places for this year and the 50th who can get it has atar 94. So next year cut-off will be 94

is my understanding correct ?

Ps. thank you for answer my question (also Absolutezero)
Ps2. sorry for my bad english
Yes, spot on.

Johnstan

Sickunt overload
HSC
Uni Grad
there's 5 places for engineering at unsw and they're all filled already.
sorry man

Johnstan

Sickunt overload
HSC
Uni Grad
havent u read the changes?
unsw released that petroleum/mining and electrical engineering
will only have 18-20 spots in total, as one of the professors recently deceased.
dont worry u can go into civil or mechanical or something

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
havent u read the changes?
unsw released that petroleum/mining and electrical engineering
will only have 18-20 spots in total, as one of the professors recently deceased.
dont worry u can go into civil or mechanical or something
OMG OMG OMG where did u find it ??
i'm not sure i'm pretty confident though, i'm like number 2 in the school ( 1 in chem and physics, 2nd in both 4&3U math, and middle in ESL, but my school ranking is 213 ) also i'm an international student will i have more chance ??

Oh this makes me crazy now !!! XDDDDD

Johnstan

Sickunt overload
HSC
Uni Grad
OMG OMG OMG where did u find it ??
i'm not sure i'm pretty confident though, i'm like number 2 in the school ( 1 in chem and physics, 2nd in both 4&3U math, and middle in ESL, but my school ranking is 213 ) also i'm an international student will i have more chance ??

Oh this makes me crazy now !!! XDDDDD
no read the notice... it says

Disclaimer:
1.First preference for course admission will be given to Australian Citizens.
International Students will get special consideration on a case to case basis.
Please contact UNSW Faculty of Engineering for more information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)