Prelim 2015 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Spot on. I noticed in your signature you didn't include english extension 1 even though it's one of your strong subjects. How come?
English Extension 1 asks for a lot of time, I do about...4 more texts if I do English Extension 1, and it asks for so much dedication in analysing texts (like what you do in English Advanced but a staircase higher). Despite it being strong, I wanted to use my time on Maths :)

you have the ideal brain which i don't have lel
I'm sure we all have our strengths and weaknesses :)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
English Extension 1 asks for a lot of time, I do about...4 more texts if I do English Extension 1, and it asks for so much dedication in analysing texts (like what you do in English Advanced but a staircase higher). Despite it being strong, I wanted to use my time on Maths :)
Wow, ok. That's quite a different approach than I thought you would have taken but if it works for you then i guess it's ok. I'm actually kinda regretting not picking extension english, just for the experience, cause all my friends always tell me how great it is.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Where is everyone up to with the 2U Maths course? Also, specify the textbook

SammyT123

HSC
We actually only use the textbook for homework.
Cambridge , finished basic algebra surds logs, functions, trig , something else and now up to co-ordinate geometry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
I'm doing 3U so its really hard to define where we are up to because at times we use the year 12 Cambridge textbook. We've done the same as SammyT but also finished circle geometry and deductive geomentry (i.e similarity and congruence) before the holidays.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
For 2u, we up to our final topic of calculus, and we use.................MIF :(
But i use Cambridge for personal study

SammyT123

HSC
Hey , for you guys that do 4U, have you tried the excel book (by Patel)

Even though excel is not great in terms of hsc books in general, it's pretty good for simplicity . Whenever I find a topic hard a look at it for the basics and it does a pretty good job at explaining, though it lacks those q16 type problems.

Borrow it from a library or smth

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Hey , for you guys that do 4U, have you tried the excel book (by Patel)

Even though excel is not great in terms of hsc books in general, it's pretty good for simplicity . Whenever I find a topic hard a look at it for the basics and it does a pretty good job at explaining, though it lacks those q16 type problems.

Borrow it from a library or smth

nah, i use cambridge for 4u, it's soo good. I think the 4u Cambridge book is the best of the Cambridge textbooks

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
haha same my school uses mif too How's cambridge, i use fitzpatrick for personal study
Cambridge is really nice, it helps with exposure to the more difficult to extension questions that generally appear in exams. Highly recommend :)

SammyT123

HSC
nah, i use cambridge for 4u, it's soo good. I think the 4u Cambridge book is the best of the Cambridge textbooks
Yes, I completely agree. Also I like that it's compact :p

If you can do the extension Cambridge qs I think your set for a band 6

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Hands down Cambridge will get you a long way with all units of Maths.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Wow, ok. That's quite a different approach than I thought you would have taken but if it works for you then i guess it's ok. I'm actually kinda regretting not picking extension english, just for the experience, cause all my friends always tell me how great it is.
LOL What did you assume? In one year, I have to analyse about 8 required texts (any type ranging from novel to film to poems) with related texts on the side for both English Adv and English Extension 1. Personally, I think English Extension 1 asks for a whole new level of well, bullshitting. Although, I have taken skills from English Extension 1, especially in regards to creative writing. But the amount of time invested in writing two essays in preparation for assessments gets really tiring. I just want practise more maths past papers and learn my Physics content better. Since I'm doing well in English Advanced, I would like to work on my Maths (both 2U and Extension 1) and Physics :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I don't remember what the topic was called, but we only have like Circle Geometry, Permu...ations (I forgot the name?) and Polynomials. I think, this is off the top of my head. Our school is using MIF, and I know our class has about...3 - 4 chapters left for Year 11.

Going to try fit some Cambridge, Excel and Excel Success One HSC stuff in because MIF is just...a joke. I like its explanations, they are much easier for me than the information I read in Cambridge, but they don't help me with hard exams.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I don't remember what the topic was called, but we only have like Circle Geometry, Permu...ations (I forgot the name?) and Polynomials. I think, this is off the top of my head. Our school is using MIF, and I know our class has about...3 - 4 chapters left for Year 11.

Going to try fit some Cambridge and Excel Success One HSC stuff in.
That's excellent, my teacher also uses MIF at school for 2 & 3U, at home I help myself to textbooks such as Excel and Cambridge

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
LOL What did you assume? In one year, I have to analyse about 8 required texts (any type ranging from novel to film to poems) with related texts on the side for both English Adv and English Extension 1. Personally, I think English Extension 1 asks for a whole new level of well, bullshitting. Although, I have taken skills from English Extension 1, especially in regards to creative writing. But the amount of time invested in writing two essays in preparation for assessments gets really tiring. I just want practise more maths past papers and learn my Physics content better. Since I'm doing well in English Advanced, I would like to work on my Maths (both 2U and Extension 1) and Physics :)
No no, it's a very smart and sensible approach. I just thought that English being your strength, you would keep that and drop Maths Extension. It's cool, i get where you're coming from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)