Prelim Business Studies + subject indecisiveness (1 Viewer)

mengfei

HSC
Hey fellow users,

So I've recently started Year 11 and it is quite the step up from Year 10 like people have been saying.
At my school, we are all required 13 units (due to a compulsory Year 11 SOR1 unit) so I'm doing
Geography
French Continuers
Advanced + Ext 1 English
Mathematics 2u
Studies of Religion 2 (to get the 13 units)
And business studies.

I love all my subjects except Business. Business is kind of a joke at my school. My teacher loves me because he knows me well but he can't teach and hence no one in my class works and instead games on their laptops or goes on Facebook. It's what I'd call my "bludge subject". I still work my ass off when it comes to its assignments and quizzes and am flying high in it, the easiness of it helps me get great marks which will be good for my ATAR, but it's kinda boring, like I'm never gonna use it and I don't give a flying about financial/business matters. The content is like watching paint dry.

Other subjects of interest to me that exist on the same line are Chem and PDHPE. All I know is I want a career that HELPS people, perhaps education or healthcare fields. Maths 2U is assumed for a lot of psych and some health science courses ive seen, but Chem is also assumed for a few medical science courses and its a "recommended" study for med, that's if I could even get in. PDHPE deals with healthcare a lot which attracts me to it, but it is also quite sport focused (factors affecting performance, fitness etc). The only part that appeals to me is the body systems and first aid part. Speaking of body systems, i cant take bio as it's not on the business line.

Should I stay with business - boring as hell, but a chill subject, easy marks and hence good for ATAR
Switch to Chem - interesting (parents are Chem engineers so they could help me), but a very very very tough subject and not for the faint hearted humanities student like myself, however is assumed knowledge for some healthcare courses. Hardest to get good marks in it in terms of amount of study.
Or switch to PDHPE - interesting, has some useful health elements, easy marks to get hence good for ATAR.

I get quite a lot of english, maths and french homework per night so switching to Chem would up my workload further.

However I'm not quite fond of the PDHPE teacher and he has a mean guy in his class.

If this info helps, I didn't do commerce, and last year I got an A in PDHPE and a B in Science :)
Thanks for your time :))))

Last edited:

austinbaric

HSC
PDHPE is also very boring, it's a heavy textbook based subject. I'd go to chemistry if you are willing to knuckle down, but you would have to knuckle down a lot. Otherwise stay in business, it's very easy to do well in and you can make it interesting!

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I also want to add in that PDHPE is a slow, boring subject in Year 11, for those who want to pick PD next year (current year 10s) have a good think about it. I hear unconfirmed rumours that it tends to get better in year 12 but don't take my word for it.
...Just my 2 cents here.

FancyPenguin

HSC
Base your choice on 1 of two things: what subject you like most or what subject will allow you to get the best ATAR.

Business and PE would require far less work to do well in and are far easier than Chem however I think Chem is the most interesting out of the three.
I personally really like Chem as it's quite interesting even though I really struggle with it and I think Business is quite boring due to my teacher (my old teacher was a lot better and made the subject very interesting).

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hey,

I really like Business Studies! I'm not sure why you're not interested in the content, however it is your opinion and of course none of my business (see the pun hehe).

Anyway- do what you deem fit! I really wanted to drop Chemistry when I was in Year 11 to do modern history- it would've be highly beneficial for me in hindsight. But, as always, regret is always left for last and I stuck chemistry out until the end. I did relatively well in it- but I missed out on an awesome subject like Modern History. :(
Do what you like because at the end of the day, you'll learn lots of skills from any subject you choose. Business Studies isn't as chill as you think- it's really content heavy plus you need to apply a range of business terminologies and functions to a business report and Section 4 of the HSC, with a business case study underneath. :)

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Unless you're motivated to study hard on your own it sounds like you're gonna get pretty bored if you stay in business studies. In my opinion think about it seriously because unless you think you can score great marks from your own work and study it will make a huge difference if in class you do nothing and all the teacher does is not teach.

Pretty much drop business if you feel like you're not gonna study for it and use that time to ace your other subjects that your motivated to study for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)