• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prelim Help! (1 Viewer)

johnny1996

HSC
could anybody please upload any english preliminary exams because there seems to be a large lack of them.Could somebody also tell me the format of an english prelim exam and the total marks for it.Any sample answers to each module will be appreciated! Thanx !

deswa1

HSC
For our school (Sydney Tech) our final prelim exam was as follows:
Section 1: Short Answer (10 marks) - was on a picture, a poem and a prose extract
Section 2: Creative Writing on journeys (10 marks) - Had to pick between three stimuli. The one that I wrote, from memory was "I looked in the mirror and saw my reflection". Don't know the other two.
Section 3: Critical Study (20 marks). Mine was on Robert Frost, others classes did things like King Lear. The question was along the lines of "The value of a text is derived from the lessons it teaches us. Discuss this in reference with your text".

The time length was 2 hours for the whole exam. Hope that helps :)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
could anybody please upload any english preliminary exams because there seems to be a large lack of them.Could somebody also tell me the format of an english prelim exam and the total marks for it.Any sample answers to each module will be appreciated! Thanx !
its usually difficult to find english prelim papers because the area of study can be quite varied and have nothing to do with what your school is studying, your text could be almost anything, and its all much the same. you get some random questions in section 1 on any sort of picture, poem, story, article..whatever so your best option is just going through HSC past papers. For section 2, just write a story on your area of study and stuff it full of techniques. For section 3, just write a few broad essays on your text that relate to your area of study - you can reuse/tailor some of the paragraphs you've written throughout the year in class.
But here's a tip, usually the spontaneous questions in section 1 are worth the exact same marks as your essay in section 3. Section 1 is generally where you can pick up some really easy marks so don't spend all your time on your essay because you'll be throwing your time away.
Hope that helps a little :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Could someone move this to the prelim section?

avro

HSC
My school reflected the HSC, but in a 3 hour exam. It consisted of 15 marks worth of short answer responding to texts given, a 15 mark creative piece where we were given stimuli to base our piece on, a 15 mark essay based on our AOS (Self-Discovery) and a 20 mark module-style question (based on one of our texts). Different schools vary in their exam format and style. Find out how your school organises the exams. It is beneficial to go to previous AOS papers and use the creative/essay questions but just adapt them to your prescribed text/AOS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)