Prelim to HSC success stories (1 Viewer)

sourmilk

HSC
Does anyone have any success stories of anyone doing abysmally/average in prelim and do incredibly well for their HSC and got a gr8 atar?

I just got prelim marks back and I'm losing faith, pls help TT__TT

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah so in prelim I didn't go so well but then in the HSC I did better and got a good atar and then now I am at unsw

Flop21

HSC
Prelim doesn't mean anything. Sit back and take a look around, breathe in, and thank the lord you are not doing the HSC right now. I know that sounds like a "wait till you get to x" comment, but seriously save the worry for year 12.

teridax

HSC
N/A
I'll actually provide a different perspective. Little change in terms of rank between these years. But there's always the odd person who steps up their game. The top kids will usually stay at the top, and the bottom kids almost always stay at the bottom. It's the middle kids that will move around, whether it's because they take year 12 more seriously and move up to the top, or because they don't care anymore so they fall to the bottom. So generally, you'll stay where you are.

PhysicsMaths

HSC
Prelim doesn't mean anything. Sit back and take a look around, breathe in, and thank the lord you are not doing the HSC right now. I know that sounds like a "wait till you get to x" comment, but seriously save the worry for year 12.
I disagree with this. Prelim is actually important in making the transition from year 11 to year 12 as smooth as possible.

Chances are, many other year 11s will have the carefree, no worries mindset and could potentially be overwhelmed with the demands of the HSC

If you take the time to carefully consider your current situation, and work out ways to physically, but more importantly, mentally prepare yourself for year 12 (such as reconsolidating prelim knowledge for maths, or studying ahead for other subjects), this could correlate to an increased likelihood that you will be prepared for the term 1 exams and give you an advantage over the rest of your cohort.

I'm assuming that you haven't been performing well this year. While prelim will have no effect on your marks for the HSC, now is the time to prepare for the year ahead.

photastic

HSC
Except for maths and some science subjects, prelim was utter useless. Legit just scrapped a pass for extension 1 mathematics for prelims but did well in the HSC anyway cos I got my act together (check my signature for the rest of the story about maths).

relativity1

HSC
Well 2 things
1) My physics teacher told us about a guy who was last in physics during year 11 and then jumped to first in year 12 and he exclaimed that he would never ever imagine him doing that
2)Even though its not year 11-12, i ahve a friend who was near last in maths during year 10 and the first half of year 11 but after studying very hard he topped term 2 and is now 2nd in the year :) Good luck have faith in yourself

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
I got 40/50 for my final mark in Preliminary HSC EX1. LOL
I hope there's a happy ending to this story... O__O

dingodog

HSC
my atar estimate was low 70s in prelim and in HSC i grew up and now my estimate is 90+.

Flop21

HSC
I disagree with this. Prelim is actually important in making the transition from year 11 to year 12 as smooth as possible.

Chances are, many other year 11s will have the carefree, no worries mindset and could potentially be overwhelmed with the demands of the HSC

If you take the time to carefully consider your current situation, and work out ways to physically, but more importantly, mentally prepare yourself for year 12 (such as reconsolidating prelim knowledge for maths, or studying ahead for other subjects), this could correlate to an increased likelihood that you will be prepared for the term 1 exams and give you an advantage over the rest of your cohort.

I'm assuming that you haven't been performing well this year. While prelim will have no effect on your marks for the HSC, now is the time to prepare for the year ahead.
Nah, still think prelims mean absolutely nothing. Save your time and your energy preparing yourself for year 12. If you're a person who never tries hard then they're never going to get a good ATAR anyway. The HSC comes down to how hard you work - with a little bit of how smart you work thrown in there.

And my comment was all about "mentally preparing for year 12". Don't be depressed, reset yourself and get ready to soak in that info in year 12.

Stressing over prelims will just do you more harm than good, and like I said there's no point.

Your prelim report however will be used for some scholarships (e.g. they ask you to provide your marks). But that's it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Looked to be getting a band 4 in business in preliminary, actually put in effort in, and came out with a Band 6 in the HSC

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I didn't do shit in Preliminary Business Studies, didn't learn, didn't listen, made some bullshit essays and kept a consistent 17/20. Was stuck at 17/20 and never moved from it in Preliminary.

NOW I'M FUCKING BALLING WITH THAT 19/20 AND 20/20 8D

BUT NO, all in all, what I'm saying is LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES IN PRELIMINARY. MAKE AN EFFORT TO FIX THEM!

duhdevitt

HSC
Prelim physics: last
Year 12 phys:7th
and our school gets around 10 band sixes. Anything is possible

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I know a friend of mine who graduated a few years ago was ranked near last in 2u maths at the end of year 11 but finished 8th in the state by the end of year 12 :) :angel:

lightthefuze

HSC
Prelim Ancient: 35/60
HSC Ancient: 1st HSC exam = 10/60, so far I'm still ranked in the top 20.

Don't lose hope!

Last edited:

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
I failed prelim 3unit test and i got 51/100 for chemistry cause im was been a little shit and not revising for chem.

Now i am ranked 8th for chem with 87 average and 20ish for 3u with 85 average. Prelim doesnt mean shit

lightthefuze

HSC

I was one of those. However, I was organised and set with 'base notes' ready for Year 12. I'm still doing better than most of my grade, not overwhelmed at all.

drainbammage

HSC
After the first Physics Prac task in Yr 11: 58/80
After the Trial exam in Yr 12: 1/59

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)