• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Prelimary a stepping stone for HSC? (1 Viewer)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
the prelim course, as obvious as it sounds, is meant to be a stepping stone for the HSC - the big one. but with every subject, the HSC course has gone harder exponentially. Maths, Eng, Science/s... you name it. i suppse that's you keep hearing year 12s say 'enjoy year 11 while you still can' - cos it's true.

any hsc or past hsc people want to share their thoughts? or am i a lot of rubbish?

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
For any level of Mathematics, the Board of Studies can examine up to 30% preliminary content in the HSC exam.
For any Sciences, the preliminary content is assumed knowledge in the HSC course.

Year 12s saying 'enjoy year 11 while you still can' is because your marks will not mean anything, not because the knowledge is easy and not important.

Take Physics and especially Chemistry for example (I can speak from my experience), the preliminary syllabus is what Physics and Chemistry should be, not like the HSC syllabus which is full of impact on society and environmental thingy. They make the syllabus this way so you have to write essays for sciences as in the past, most students who get tops mark could not communicate their ideas and knowledge properly in their further studies.

So, 'enjoy year 11 while you still can' - I know you are stepping into Year 12 next term, edit: to SoulSearcher that is.:D

Last edited:

Pubert

HSC
i disagree with what you said about the HSC courses becoming harder, if anything they have become easier. I look at my older brothers really old textbooks for chemistry and physics and it sure is alot harder.
For example, in the physics prelim course they used to have to do string tension and so on with all the basic motion equations being done in alot more depth with much more complicated questions. However the current prelim course deals with alot more theory with having students just regurgitate information on exam day. There also wasnt any history in the old physics syllabus, while now there are dot points adressing certain developments in history and the achievments of successful scientists must also be learnt. I would consider this to be alot less difficult than the mathematical parts of the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)