• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary Chemistry (1 Viewer)

IceOnFire

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I'm keeping it, but I will have to work on my creativity. It's non-existent at the moment :eek:
I don't know how many times you've said it was non-existent already.. :eek:

kara2006

HSC
Hey Thanks so much 4 this it should really help me this test thing is worth 30% so yeah.. well thats if i do get around 2 studying..
Thanks airie and every1 else :)

airie said:
I think it's the first section of the Energy module :)

Basically, phytosynthesis is the complex set of reaction that transforms the sun's light energy into stored chemical energy, which may be released upon combustion of the fossil fuels. The overall reaction of photosynthesis is:
6CO2 (g) + 6H2O(l) --> C6H12O6 (aq) + 6O2 (g)

And respiration is just the reversal of above, where energy is released from the glucose and oxygen.

See, glucose is a carbohydrate, and photosynthesis thus transforms the sun's light energy into something animals and plants may consume (where the animal gets stored energy by eating plants), whereas the light energy directly from the sun itself could not be so easily used. And you know, fossil fuels result from half-decayed bodies of plants that have undergone high pressure and heat due to geological processes over time, therefore the energy can be released upon combustion of fossil fuels, as this energy has come from light energy of the sun transformed and stored by the process of phytosynthesis, when the plants were alive.

The range of compounds found in either coal, petroleum or natural gas are stuff like gas fuels, petrol, kerosene, diesel oil, bitumen, and some parafin waxes just to name a few. You can research this in more detail over the Internet yourself, as well as for the location of deposits of the selected fossil fuel in Australia .

As for the positive and negative impacts of the mining or use of this fuel on society and the environment, just mention things like exploiting fossil fuels too much will drain the sources as it's non-renewable, and combustion of fossil fuels can release harmful chemicals such as carbon dioxide (in greenhouse effect and such), carbon monoxide, sulfides, small particles that may suspend in air (from incomplete combustion) to the environment, but fossil fuels is a convenient source of energy as you just have to, well, light it in a supply of oxygen. :p And mining fules can impact on the surroundings as the site is never really restored to its previous state, after mining, and this can disrupt the lives of locals (whether it be animals, plants, or, residents :p).

Have you looked in the resources section of BoS yet? Surely there will be some useful notes in there for you too :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)