• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary Maths ext.1 (2 Viewers)

Jono_2007

My fingers are slowly slipping off a cliff!....HEL
HSC
I just bought a preliminary maths ext1 excel book and it looks much easier then i was expecting, that being said i will still find the couse dificult. But if there's a topic to start learning now or something i should prepare for what would it be?

but thanks for everything!!!!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Just have a read through, it's all mainly extension on the 2u prelim work, there arent that many completely new topics in yr 11 though, so don't worry too much about it for now.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
School's out now, but your teacher would've had a good idea whether or not you're capable of 3-unit.

Like someone said before, 3-unit makes 2-unit seem heaps easy, so if you really struggle in extension and decide to drop (which I'm sure won't happen :) ), then as some people found in my class when they dropped, they've already covered the first few Mathematics HSC topics, and so cruised through the first assessment.

But, I dunno. Everyone else seems so much more organised in Year 10. I just picked extension and forgot about it in the holidays. :p Enjoy these hols, don't stress 'bout Year 11 because the next summer holidays are going to be packed with work, and it seems like you're pretty well prepared now anyway. :)

GaganDeep

fffff
HSC
U don't really need to study in yr 11 for maths , lol i'v jst started studin binomail theorem, u should start studing from there, that's the entire next year:p.
Do atleast 1 past paper before the test:p lol it works for me.
get round 90's.

Jono_2007

HSC
The main reason I posted this question was because i have a fairly large workload because I'm studying;
the 3 sciences:Chemistry, Physics, Biology,
English advanced and engineering studies.
the point i'm making is that i am capable of doing 3unit maths probably) but mabey
not with all the study and revision going into my other subjects.

Thanks once again...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Jono_2007 said:
The main reason I posted this question was because i have a fairly large workload because I'm studying;
the 3 sciences:Chemistry, Physics, Biology,
English advanced and engineering studies.
the point i'm making is that i am capable of doing 3unit maths probably) but mabey
not with all the study and revision going into my other subjects.

Thanks once again...
Do you enjoy doing each of the three sciences? How are your marks in them? Is there anything that you would consider dropping if you can't handle the workload? Because 13 unit is quite alot for the preliminary year.

Jono_2007

HSC
Riviet said:
Do you enjoy doing each of the three sciences? How are your marks in them? Is there anything that you would consider dropping if you can't handle the workload? Because 13 unit is quite alot for the preliminary year.
I wouldnt drop the sciences because they are my primary subject as i got band 6 96 in school certificate science and i love physics and chem.
however in the HSC i would drop engineering studies bringing the total units down to 11.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I think 11 units would be much more manageable, you will certainly have more time to spend on each of your sciences as well as maths and english, as long as you enjoy what you're doing, you should be fine. :)

SeDaTeD

HSC
Go for it if you think you can do it. It's advantageous to take the highest level of maths available if you can handle at. And as Slide pointed out, you can always drop it if you don't like it, and it also leaves the option for ext 2 to be taken the year after. If you don't take ext1, well then you're stuck with 2unit and wondering if you should've taken ext1.

Jono_2007

HSC
Question:

I'm just trying to teach myself 3-unit, and i'm not sure i did this question right.

Q1: Find the exact value of tan (75) :

Tan (75)= tan (45+30)
=tan45 + tan30
1-tan45 + tan30
=1+1/√3
1-1*1/√3

=√3+1 / √3+1
√3 √3

=√3+1 * √3+1
√3 √3+1

=√3+1 * √3+1
√3+1 √3+1
=3+2√3+1
=4+√3 =2+√3
could someone please check it and get back to me!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Jono_2007 said:
I'm just trying to teach myself 3-unit, and i'm not sure i did this question right.

Tan (75)= tan (45+30)
=tan45 + tan30
1-tan45 + tan30
=1+1/√3
1-1*1/√3

=√3+1 / √3+1
√3 √3

=√3+1 * √3+1
√3 √3+1

=√3+1 * √3+1
√3+1 √3+1
=3+2√3+1
=4+√3 =2+√3
Even though it was very hard to read your working, you are correct!! Well done. ;)

One more thing: just be careful in the line I've highlighted, it should read 1-tan45tan30.

EDIT: I just noticed a couple more typos, just be careful. :)

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Jono_2007 said:

Tan (75)= tan (45+30)
=tan45 + tan30
1-tan45 + tan30
=1+1/√3
1-1*1/√3

=√3+1 / √3+1
√3 √3

=√3+1 * √3+1
√3 √3+1

=√3+1 * √3+1
√3+1 √3+1
=3+2√3+1
=4+√3 =2+√3
I couldn't read what you typed properly so I re-worked it myself:

tan 75° = tan (45° + 30° )
tan 75° = (tan 45 + tan 30)/(1 - tan 45° * tan 30° )
tan 75° = (1 + 1/√3)/(1 - 1/√3)
multiply through by (1 + 1/√3)
= (1 + 1/√3)2/(1 - 1/3 )
= (1 + 2/√3 + 1/3)/(2/3)
= (4/3 + 2/√3)/(2/3)
= 2 + √3

You might want to look at this page for notation and such when writing math problems: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=7127

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Riviet said:
Not really. I did 13 units, and I know plenty of people who did 13 units, and some who still do. It's actually an advantage in that you can drop the course anytime during Prelim if failing, etc., such as my friend who did on the day of a major assessment task. :rolleyes: But that was Extension English.

Jono_2007 said:
I wouldnt drop the sciences because they are my primary subject as i got band 6 96 in school certificate science and i love physics and chem.
however in the HSC i would drop engineering studies bringing the total units down to 11.
This could change, like it did with me, so don't set your HSC subjects down in concrete. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
bananasmoothy said:
Not really. I did 13 units, and I know plenty of people who did 13 units, and some who still do. It's actually an advantage in that you can drop the course anytime during Prelim if failing, etc., such as my friend who did on the day of a major assessment task. :rolleyes: But that was Extension English.
I also did 13 units, unfortunately it was compulsory at my school and alot of other schools. I really disliked it because I didn't have enough time to study 13 units worth of subjects throughout the year, with all the assignments and assessment tasks, but that is just my perspective. Some people can cope with it, some can't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)