Preliminary Textbooks (1 Viewer)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
Before I get lambasted for asking about resources and textbooks, I've looked around the forum for related posts but they're mostly for the HSC course.

I'm doing MH through Open High and at times I can't get over the niggling feeling that they are not enough.

So, anyone know of good prelim MH textbooks?

stillwaters

HSC
also....
For prelim courses we were lucky cos our teacher photocopied form all these various books and put them together into one SUPERbook./..
since you're in prelim, you could get into the habit of actually going out to the library (school/ local/ uni) and searching for actual history books vs. textbooks.
while textbooks are crucial because they provide what you NEED to know from the syllabus, you also could look up books by historians about the topics that you are doing, read (or skim read) them for the general gist of their argument and lock away that historians name and ideas to use within essays (when relevant)... it also helps give you a better grasp of the topic.
i know it's kinda annoying but i think most textbooks for modern are targeted at hsc ppls... :eek:

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
i'm currently doing the world at the beginning of the 20th century and most of it's on the outbreak of WW1 and i don't know whether it's just to get me used to the source-based work or to provide a basis for the HSC - the prelim textbook i ordered [challenge, change and continuity] has helped, though marginally. i'm moving onto indochina next term.

stillwaters said:
also....
For prelim courses we were lucky cos our teacher photocopied form all these various books and put them together into one SUPERbook./..
since you're in prelim, you could get into the habit of actually going out to the library (school/ local/ uni) and searching for actual history books vs. textbooks.
while textbooks are crucial because they provide what you NEED to know from the syllabus, you also could look up books by historians about the topics that you are doing, read (or skim read) them for the general gist of their argument and lock away that historians name and ideas to use within essays (when relevant)... it also helps give you a better grasp of the topic.
i know it's kinda annoying but i think most textbooks for modern are targeted at hsc ppls... :eek:
that is an ineffably good idea. thank you :D

Last edited:

stillwaters

HSC
ooo, i remember the 20th century thing... back in the days of being in year 11 :p
the outbreak of ww1 is useful as it gives a background for the HSC course. for modern history, the core topic is:
  • source based (so source study) and
  • on WW1- how it ground to a stalemate.... up till what happened at the treaty of versailles 1919 and how germany got screwed over.
i guess it's also to get you used to doing source analysis because that's where 25 marks of your modern history hsc exams come from...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)