• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Prepaid Wireless broadband at school? (1 Viewer)

Kezzoom

HSC
Hi,

im starting yr 12 next term and i just recently got a laptop for school, but for some stupid reason NO one is legally allowed to use the school's wireless internet provided by the board of studies.

I was thinking of buying prepaid wireless boradband from dicksmith or something, and using it at school secretly, or would they have something that could block all other internet signals,

just curious

Thanks

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
well the wireless broadband things run off mobile phone networks so unless they block those (which i don't see would be possible) then you should be fine

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
fucking LOL "block wireless signals", i better put on my tinfoil hat.. You do realise these signal blockers are illegal?

If you can use your phone in school (i.e. you get signal) then yeah, you can use wireless internet. There are plenty of brands, dodo, unwired, 3, Telstra Mobile.... list goes on. Probably the best deals for both prepaid and plans are 3 and vodafone. If you get one that looks a bit "more" like a usb key, nobody would even notice. Especially if you put a sticker on it or something covering the isp logo.

Otherwise just hack the wireless internet, what the security anyway? Wep? no doubt there will be a generic password for teachers. just hack or brute force it. You've got hours of classroom time, just sit in the back of the class with an automated brute forcer. who gives a shit if it takes a week :p

EDIT: if you've already got a mobile phone, you could look at buying a data pack for it, and just connecting your phone to ur comp via usb. Put the phone on silent and keep it in ur pocket. nobody would even notice.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
fucking LOL "block wireless signals", i better put on my tinfoil hat.. You do realise these signal blockers are illegal?

If you can use your phone in school (i.e. you get signal) then yeah, you can use wireless internet. There are plenty of brands, dodo, unwired, 3, Telstra Mobile.... list goes on. Probably the best deals for both prepaid and plans are 3 and vodafone. If you get one that looks a bit "more" like a usb key, nobody would even notice. Especially if you put a sticker on it or something covering the isp logo.

Otherwise just hack the wireless internet, what the security anyway? Wep? no doubt there will be a generic password for teachers. just hack or brute force it. You've got hours of classroom time, just sit in the back of the class with an automated brute forcer. who gives a shit if it takes a week :p

EDIT: if you've already got a mobile phone, you could look at buying a data pack for it, and just connecting your phone to ur comp via usb. Put the phone on silent and keep it in ur pocket. nobody would even notice.
Its not a generic WEP code, my IT Teacher did mine and it was numeric.

Who said by law you are not allowed to use BoS networking? The net running through it is still filtered, i.e. you still wont be able to access MSN.

Tell your IT teacher nicely that you want to WEP code so you can access the internet at school and study, or failing that, if you're near a computer in the school, yank the bastards Ethernet out and put it in yours.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
ahh fair enough, google search "elcomsoft" and look at the brute forcer. Select only digits... and work give a good range of numbers... if u saw the password you will know its say 6-10 char long - enter than. Then just let the baby go.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
should work unless if your classroom have mobile phone blockers in that case it would not.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Which is illegal to even own let alone use.

Reeweee

HSC
Its not a generic WEP code, my IT Teacher did mine and it was numeric.
Something along those lines and the Head of IT will still need to manually assign you an address and/or access.

Tell your IT teacher nicely that you want to WEP code so you can access the internet at school and study, or failing that, if you're near a computer in the school, yank the bastards Ethernet out and put it in yours.
Well you will gain internet access but unless with an authorized account, your service will be extremely limited.

Silent_Sniper

Watching you through my sniper scope!!! Getting re
HSC
Hi,

im starting yr 12 next term and i just recently got a laptop for school, but for some stupid reason NO one is legally allowed to use the school's wireless internet provided by the board of studies.

I was thinking of buying prepaid wireless boradband from dicksmith or something, and using it at school secretly, or would they have something that could block all other internet signals,

just curious

Thanks
Dont bother buying wireless man, its expensive and shit.. Have you tried to pick up the schools internet connection??? I can guide you step by step in doing so, however if you know how to do it then can you find out if the "internet network" is protected??? Usually they leave them unprotected so that any school laptop or device can log on to the net, if its unprotected just connect to it... The admin cant stop you unless its protected and unless he cuts your connection off :p

But seriously consider just using the schools computers and internet, because wireless is a big waste of money...

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i have an optus one, and use it blatantly at school. noone cares.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
And pay $50 for 2GB.

Seriously, you can fucking survive 6 hours away from facebook.

....Can you?

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
You could tether you mobile and use it as a modem, and exetel wireless plans are the best

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Paying for the wireless internet may be the best option for you. It can't be blocked by anyone... :p so you're fine.

At my school anyone can connect to the school's wireless internet because there is no password on it. Sad thing is the signal is very poor and it doesn't go right around the whole school (almost there XD). So others outside can't get it lol. Yay for faulty equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)