• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preparation for the exams (2 Viewers)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
arghhhhhhhhh

all the tips in the world didnt help me in my kanji exam ><

bah, i forgot/mixed up the kanji for ikimasu and kimasu dammit, and i think i might jus scrape past :S

DrEaM_mUi

mmmm...you have kanji exam???
coolzzz...
does it get assessed??/
i think my teacher just assumes that we'll learned them ourselves....

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Id love a kanji exam... i dont know how i remember them, but i know all the ones we have to know, and recognise the recognition ones :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by DrEaM_mUi
mmmm...you have kanji exam???
coolzzz...
does it get assessed??/
i think my teacher just assumes that we'll learned them ourselves....
im at mq uni :)

DrEaM_mUi

Is uni jap a lot harder than the hsc extension??
i'm thinking of continuing with japanese as an option in uni???

by the way...would the speaking exams for continuers and extension be genetic...coz as if i can memorise all my practices///...

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Uni isnt overly harder... it just teaches you to have a deeper level of communication. With continuers, you know enough to have a conversation with a primary school student. Ext teaches you to talk about (semi) relevant issues, which is around highschool to young adult level

At uni, you learn the japanese nessecary to survive in the business world, and from then on your interactions with other people are how to improve on your japanese. (Correct me if im wrong on anything)

The exams are partly generic. They dont want you to memorise answers, they want you to call on your bank of knowledge to present a coherent conversation/speech.

Having said this you can memorise small chunks of information and use them in an exam. You may have memorised something for one question, then the examiner asks it in a different way. You should know enough to tweak your chunk to present it right. Same with ext. Sometimes you can slip your point in, other times youll have to change it slightly.

Dont waste your time memorising everything, memorise a couple of sentences for each level of the topic... if your examiner only asks you about one topic its good... it means they are probing your knowledge for all its got :)

DrEaM_mUi

wah...sounds like a teacher...
hahah...can tell you'll be one of those who is gonna be really good..
anywaiz...thanks for the tips...they'll be handy in the exams...
it is funny...but i am actually doing better in extention than continuers...
*jus wondering*...do they get scaled gud...??

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, but only if you cane the subject.

Uni Japanese depends on your level of learning at entry. You can start at beginner or expert, it's all up to what you already know.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hahaha

wilmo .... so wrong :D

ok @ mq

Three entry levels

110/112 - beginners
120/122 - Post HSC
130/132 - 1337 jap, you are basically doing the same as a 300 level beginner stream at this stage.

110/112 (introd jap/introd kanji) is basically the hsc course compacted into a nice semester.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Yeah... i thought about the different levels of japanese, but i was too lazy to write them... theres some teachers at our school who are in 3rd year uni (beginners) doing the stuff we do now in 2 unit :)

And you'd think id do good wouldnt you... but my use is only in general knowledge :( Im coming last in my ext class... i got 68% for my half yearlies which is a few marks behind the top couple. Im pretty sure theyre a lot farther ahead of me now. Ill have to fight back in the writing and listening tomorrow ;)

hk31

HSC
at UNSW

You can start off at:

JAPN1000 (Jap Comm 1A) - beginner level

JAPN2000 (Jap Comm 2a) - 2nd yr Jap, which is like the in between of Japanese Continuers and Japanese Extension, i think

JAPN3000 (Jap Comm 3a) - 3rd yr Jap, shit boring, you don't learn anything new, just how to use the stuff in a bullshit group project about a social issue! (WHAT I DID!!)

JAPN4000 (Jap Comm 4a) - 4th yr Jap, for the 1337!!

DrEaM_mUi

coolz...i wanna continue studying jap in uni, coz i don't wanna come out of high school and forgetting it all...but then...i dion't really want to major in it...if you know what i mean...i jus wanna keep japanese studies as a leisure kinda thing...

anywaiz....it is holodaiz now...so happy... :eek: although...you can't really call it a holiday coz...trial and other craps are coming up.....BOOOHOOO

really scared of the speaking one...hey!! any one know exactly where it is held at???...jus wondering...

i think the continuers speaking is alright...but for extension..thinking up 2 speeches in another language is rather hard...probably can't say much in 2 minutes..."""damn"""...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You can say a lot if you don't waste time with pauses and having to "think up" content. Use your preparation time to plan, and your speaking time to speak!

As for uni, I'm having second thoughts about continuing Japanese... I may just get sick of it...

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
DrEaM_mUi said:
hey!! any one know exactly where it is held at???...jus wondering...
Ummm... nobody can tell you that because your school should. Every school has to go elsewhere for there speaking exams... I have to go to James Cook HS, where ever the heck that is.

You may get notified in the mail when they want you in there, but usually you have to turn up at 9, then wait till youre called. Could take 10 minutes, could take 10 hours who knows...

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Yeah i'm going to James Cook High School for my speaking exam too. I think it's near Kogarah?
You'd receive a letter a few weeks before ur exam so u know exactly when and where to go.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I went to James Cook last year.

You will get a letter from BOS telling you where to go and when, and you need to bring that letter with you. I think. The way students are distributed isn't based on individual schools but which "district" you fall into.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
the earlier you get there the quicker you get it over and done with. i heard that some people had to wait a couple of hours to get theirs finished. oh and watch out for the nervous people that put you off with their frantic studying and practice hehehe

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah frantic practice reveals the people most likely to freeze. If you're relaxed and clearheaded you'll do fine. Practice, but don't stress. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)