Preparing a King Lear Essay (1 Viewer)

blond_e

HSC
I was just wondering how you would go about preparing a KL essay? because there are many things they could ask you about ie themes, structure, language, readings, productions etc. Ahhh... King Lear :|

Thanks guys.

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
if you think u can go into the exam having a generic essay on lear.. you will get done over.. king lear, you cant realli "prepare" and essay, more so u can have quality notes on aspects of the play.. like u said.. going through themes/values, language use (commanding, imagery), content, productions, QUOTES, values of a certain scene, maybe even know 2 extracts, as in 2004 they asked for you to refer to two extracts...

make note on textual integrity and its reception in a range of contexts...

Make sure you have your own interpretation also, whether it be taking bits and pieces out of other "critics/readings" to develop your own one.. just have one incase and back this up with quotes,scenes content and themes...

hope that helps...

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
good questoin... well it depends ont he text type.. if it's a Speech, journal, article, argument... your well within your rights to use 'I'...

but sometimes ppl don't andi think they don't cuz there teacher tells them not to use 'I' in essays, and since throughout your whole senior schooling, you do mostly essays and they carry this stupid habit into other text types...

to show the marker "hey listen this is my own interpretation" by using 'I' is a good idea... i would... if it asks for your intrepretation.. definitely i would use I or my or whatevr personal pronoun...

what are your thoughts?

serena99

HSC
Yes you can definitely use the first person even in essays. It strengthens your argument to specify your own personal reading and this is best achieved if you use 'I'
The markers commented last year that the best responses used personal pronouns and compared/contrasted their own interpretation to the others in particular productions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)