Presentation Tips (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So, I'm doing a PR presentation in a few days (forget how many but soon) and its pretty major, and having never done a pitch before, was wondering if anyone had any tips for me.

(note: i have done presentations, but they've been of a different variety, not sure how they match up to a marketing/PR style).

Thanks!

iwannarock

HSC
visit the bar for a few hours beforehand.

arrive totally trashed.

that'll get rid of the nerves.

:wave:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iwannarock said:
visit the bar for a few hours beforehand.

arrive totally trashed.

that'll get rid of the nerves.

:wave:
Hahaha, oh how I wish :(

Kegs

HSC
No seriously, go to the bar and the try to be as sober as possible when you do it. It is hilarious. Worked for me.

X

xeuyrawp

Hmm a pitch.

Have you ever watched that Dragon's Den show?

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
I had to do a pitch for my short film in media

Basically, audience participation rocks - relate to them, make them laugh and every so often, do something that connects with them, makes them want to keep listening or they will drop like flies

X

xeuyrawp

lcf said:
I had to do a pitch for my short film in media

Basically, audience participation rocks - relate to them, make them laugh and every so often, do something that connects with them, makes them want to keep listening or they will drop like flies
I think that goes with all presentations.

I've got one on Wednesday, *crosses fingers*

X

xeuyrawp

Oh god, I hope it isn't too late.

I just remembered my pet peeve: When presenters look at the projector screen and read a few things off it / check what's on it / etc. Either look at the computer screen in the lectern, or realise that what's on the projector screen is probably what you wrote on your powerpoint!

Argh.

Got a presentation tomorrow. /Cranky.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Bwhaha, no no powerpoint for me :)

Thats for nubs

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Oh god, I hope it isn't too late.

I just remembered my pet peeve: When presenters look at the projector screen and read a few things off it / check what's on it / etc. Either look at the computer screen in the lectern, or realise that what's on the projector screen is probably what you wrote on your powerpoint!

Argh.

Got a presentation tomorrow. /Cranky.
:confused: So you don't like it when people look at the projector screen? I like it better because their eye gaze looking to where they are up to allows me to know where they are up to on the powerpoint and i can follow it better.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just as a response:

Had it yesterday, will find out in a couple of weeks how it all went marks wise. but yeah ended up just doing the usual stand and deliver, and got a compliment that my voice is good for business presentations, so I guess thats good.

As for the presenters reading: yeah I don't really understand that, most people aren't going to be pointing to it, and having to turn your back to the audience is one of the things that I hate.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
iambored said:
:confused: So you don't like it when people look at the projector screen? I like it better because their eye gaze looking to where they are up to allows me to know where they are up to on the powerpoint and i can follow it better.
I don't care what people do because I don't particularly pay attention. They can face the projector screen the whole time if they want, it doesn't bother me. Although one thing that does annoy me is people who talk really loud because it is harder to completely block them out while I do something else.

Very rarely in my subjects does anyone other than the marker take any interest at all in what is being said. Even attempts at giving marks for paying attention doesn't seem to be an effective way of getting people to listen. I guess that is what happens when you have to listen to 40 presentations a session over all your subjects... you just get sick of them.

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
The powerpoint should be logical and follow their speech, use same markers/terms, etc?

iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't care what people do because I don't particularly pay attention. They can face the projector screen the whole time if they want, it doesn't bother me. Although one thing that does annoy me is people who talk really loud because it is harder to completely block them out while I do something else.

Very rarely in my subjects does anyone other than the marker take any interest at all in what is being said. Even attempts at giving marks for paying attention doesn't seem to be an effective way of getting people to listen. I guess that is what happens when you have to listen to 40 presentations a session over all your subjects... you just get sick of them.
That's a bit of a bummer - all the presentations in my subjects are essential for the subject (ie, assessable material in seminar style) and are usually interesting.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:

You doing commerce or something?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
PwarYuex said:
That's a bit of a bummer - all the presentations in my subjects are essential for the subject (ie, assessable material in seminar style) and are usually interesting.
They are certainly not essential in my subjects. They just put them in there because they need another assessment item and a presentation is one they all like to use. Plus it fills up the tutorial time. If not for presentation nothing would happen because no one is interested in discussions or anything.

The content is related but almost never assessable. They try in some subjects, but in most cases there are far too many stupid people who wouldn't do it right or international students who you can't understand at all. Basically any presentation that is assessable comes from a textbook case or something that you would be better off reading up on yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)