• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Pride and Prejudice (2 Viewers)

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
of course but everyone seems to be expecting this movie to be like the 1995 version...
Really?

Well i doubt it could be. The 1995 version was 5 hrs long and even then it didn't capture all events that happened in the book.

I'm not sure how long this new version will be but no doubt they'll change parts of the original story to fit in the time constraints :(

J

jhakka

In any situation, I would reccomend the book. I haven't read Pride and Prejudice, since I am not an Austen fan, but I believe that it is always good to look at the one that came first.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
In any situation, I would reccomend the book. I haven't read Pride and Prejudice, since I am not an Austen fan, but I believe that it is always good to look at the one that came first.
I'm not sure one can claim not to be an Austen fan without have first read P&P :p

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
i actually watched it (the BBC Mini Series with Colin firth) for the first time over the weekend. I couldn't believe i had waited so long i really really liked it.
loved Colin Firth in it... so handsome...

malkin86

HSC
keladry said:
hmmm... first thing i thought was "damn that's colourful!"

are girls supposed to be that... um... excitable... in the regency era?

still not liking the keira knightley idea *wrinkles nose*
Well, if you keep in mind that Lydia and Kitty are supposed to be very silly young girls, then that's understandable.

And if you remember that Jane is supposed to be the beauty of the family, and Elizabeth only the second-best, then in a way, Keira works better than Jennifer Ehle - she was just too beautiful.

I do think the new Jane looks a bit young, though.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
omg i just watched the trailer... it looks like they've tried to turn it into a soap opera. my best guy friend and i were sitting in the cinema going "Oh WHAT??? WTF???"... it was very amusing. I like the fact that when Keira knightly says "you are the last man in the world whom i could ever marry", she tries to say it in the exact tone of voice that jennifer ehle did.

I say, don't screw with the deffinative version. The BBC knows what its doing. Don't go out and produce a high budget, but essentially bastardised version of the arguably the best adaptation of a novel to screen (even if it was for television).

Ellie-Bee

HSC
i just saw the trailer properly for the first time. so bad. its all wrong. keira knightly is sucky. sigh. sad.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
they're re-making it???
wow!
pretty exciting- although i am a dvd owning fan of bbc!
ooooooooooh i need to find my own mr darcy lol

how are they gonna squish it all into a movie???

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ha my limited review. over all, i love it excecpt for this nagging voice saying that this time around, lizzy is not loveable enough. She doesn't seem smart or witty or clever or observant enough! damnit. Keira did a reasonable job but jennifer ehle reigns in the lizzy stakes for me

i know everyone will disagree with me here but i absolutely love matthew mcfadyen

new darcy > old darcy but old lizzy > new lizzy :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ROFL u guys are like my Mum. She refuses to watch the movie (despite being an avid PAP fan- she's even reading the book Mr Darcy gets a wife or something like that) because she thinks Knightley ruined the part (she saw the trailer)...

>_>

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
And if you remember that Jane is supposed to be the beauty of the family, and Elizabeth only the second-best, then in a way, Keira works better than Jennifer Ehle - she was just too beautiful.
Yes I agree, Jane in the BBC version looked somewhat like a horse

keladry

lady knight
HSC
i saw the trailer on tv and i swear, one of those costumes that keira wears is exactly the same as jennifer ehle's and in the same scene too - the bingley ball scene. can anyone confirm?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the dress looks a little similar but i dont think it's exact. The little pearl baubles in the hair are trying to ahieve the same effect but it just looks like she has weird white bugs in her hair :confused:

the SMH said the first ball (not netherfield) looked like a hoedown. I can't really disagree cos it was ridiculously rowdy LOL

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Yes I agree, Jane in the BBC version looked somewhat like a horse
I thought she looked healthy.. classical and beautiful. The new Jane looks too young and waifish to be Keira Knightley's older sister.

Maybe the rowdiness of the first ball was to emphasise the difference in society between the Bingleys +Darcies and the rest of the cast?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Hmm.. I was not impressed with the movie at all: I'm for once agreeing with teh reviews in the Metro: 'They just don't get Austen at all'
i think its true.
And maybe i can't get Colin Firth out of my head and so this new actor is kinda wrecking it all. -pout-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)