Prisoners calling our homes (1 Viewer)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
CONVICTED criminals are being employed as telemarketers to cold-call people as part of a radical new prison employment program.

But those called will have no idea they are talking to an inmate and the State Government will not say which organisations are using the convicts as part of a confidentiality deal.

The program is designed to prepare women prisoners from Windsor's low and medium-security Dillwynia Correctional Centre for life on the outside, training them for work and stopping them from reoffending.

However it is also being used as a low-cost way for companies to get cheap telemarketing work and for the Government to boost its coffers.
Even with bonuses and target incentives, prisoners get no more than $67 for a 30-hour week - barely $2 an hour compared to the standard minimum wage of $14.31 an hour.

Prisoners are not allowed to ask for or handle any credit card details or other financial records and every call is recorded and monitored by both a telemarketing professional and a corrective services officer.

The Australian Teleservices Association, the peak body for telemarketers, is promoting the call centre to its members and also hires the inmates itself. It is understood the prisoners do data collection for businesses and also directly call private consumers on behalf of charities.

ATA chief executive Michael Meredith refused to say exactly how much cheaper the prison service was, except that it was "less than half".

"It's very low cost for us but to be honest we do it because we think it's the right thing to do," he said.

About 15 prisoners are in the program but that number is expected to soon double.

The prison's call centre was originally set up just to receive and direct calls to Government agencies. The Daily Telegraph has been told it now does nothing but outbound calls.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...story-e6freuy9-1225780203634?from=news.com.au

Thoughts on this program?

johony

HSC
not a bad idea. gets prisoners doing something (barely) useful.
but, female prisoners only though?

Daipire

HSC
not a bad idea. gets prisoners doing something (barely) useful.
but, female prisoners only though?
Maybe cause people won't answer the phone out of paranoia that there will be a serial killer selling them vaccuum cleaners

I know it won't be serial killers, but people are stupid

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Look, I think, the more useful work you give to prisoners, the more they can build their skills-base, be involved, have something to occupy themselves and work towards a decent life after prison. So I think it's fine, provided they're adequately supervised and monitored.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
So I think it's fine, provided they're adequately supervised and monitored.
"every call is recorded and monitored by both a telemarketing professional and a corrective services officer."

Surely this would make this line of rehabilitation rather costly, though? What guarantee do we have that this is taking place on every call?

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
"every call is recorded and monitored by both a telemarketing professional and a corrective services officer."

Surely this would make this line of rehabilitation rather costly, though? What guarantee do we have that this is taking place on every call?
You could always just put an officer with them in the room, and only choose certain prisoners to do the program. I highly doubt they'd be putting child molestors, serial killers, sexual predators and those likely to threaten or intimidate on the phones.
In any case it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than hiring people at minimum wage to do it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think it's a good idea.

As for monitoring I imagine it would occur much like any other contact centre, a team leader in the room with the agents and call recording so that they can be referred back to.

HSC
Knowing that I might end up doing telemarketing if I go to prison is probably the most effective crime deterrant.

Good idea.

What do people think about the $2/hr pay rate?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
CONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminalsCONVICTED criminals

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
criminals who hath been convicted of a crime hitherto

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
What do people think about the $2/hr pay rate?
If the work is voluntary, I see no problem. This isn't a real job for them - it's a skills improvement programme. Similarly, trainees are paid below minimum wage, and charity workers usually paid nothing at all.

I think the plan is a good idea and will end up being quite effective.

I work in an IT support centre. We have a team leaders with us when we make calls. If we start doing or saying weird shit, they pick up on it pretty swiftly.

pman

Banned
HSC
It might stop people arbitarily hanging up as soon as they realise its a telly marketer, they be too scared of getting killed if the don't by something!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)