private ( catholic ) vs. PUBLIC (1 Viewer)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
yes.......both in students and physical schools.
the ABS would probably have these details if you are really curious as would the dept of ed. website........ (at a guess)
I can sorta remember that one of the anti non-govt campaigns during the (last?) election was that 20% of the schools get (insert a large %) of all federal funding..which is a "duh statement"...were else would they get their funding from!
LOL

Last edited:

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Lol, there was some article, and I quote:

"Public schools educated 74 of the 130 students who topped the state in their course ... Private schools educated 44 of them. Clear evidence that public schools, selective and comprehensive, more than hold their own academically."

Lol, drawing silly conclusions from statistics.

leiara

i think public schools have a varied outcome to the students. on 1 hand, yes u get all the derro's that cant afford private schooling, but then this creates interesting dynamics and social advantages cause we can handle all sorts of ppl including the 'rich' kids. in my opinion, i like going to a public school, and us 'pubs' bet the 'catholics' in the hsc every year. so the system works well at my school.....

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by leiara
i think public schools have a varied outcome to the students. on 1 hand, yes u get all the derro's that cant afford private schooling, but then this creates interesting dynamics and social advantages cause we can handle all sorts of ppl including the 'rich' kids. in my opinion, i like going to a public school, and us 'pubs' bet the 'catholics' in the hsc every year. so the system works well at my school.....
In general you beat us. We still beat you in maths.

Plus most of the smart kids go to public selective schools. Of course they're going to beat us.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by clairegirl
what the hell?? how are u spose to get home?
You use your more than capable legs to STAND. But yeah I agree, the elderly person should stand, you need to get home :rolleyes:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by leiara
a) why single out the catholics? (just curious)
b) of course "marks wise" the state system is going to be better than the non-state system- there are approx. 4 times as many students! But what makes a good school? The top HSC marks or calibre and integrity of the students that are produced at the end of their time there? (both private, catholic and state?)

There are derros in the non-state system as well as "poor kids" and "rich kids" (to use your descriptions) so broad assumptions like rich vs poor shouldnt really be used eg at my last school, over 20% of familes werent paying fees but really wanted to be there so the school accomodated them.
Sorry to sound like Im telling you off (which Im not so withdraw the claws!!) but the whole "us vs them" argument really stinks as it is perpetrated by unionist teachers and politicians wanting to make a name for themselves and forced onto the public via smear campaigns and "brainwashing" in schools (eg the use of those "public education sign" outside of schools because you are not allowed to "do politics" on school grounds!)
Of course there are some differences and yes there are good schools and bad schools in both systems (as there are good and bad teachers and students). Me, Ive taught in both the private (independant), public and currently the catholic systems. I know what my preference is and really it is just that, preference or choice which all are entitled to (its just a pity that the private schools are not that flexible when it comes to this choice but thats another story!)

{end of rant}
meh......... its time I shut up now........

Rick

after bieng in a private school for 5 years i left to a public th the end of year 10. best move ever. i no longer have to put up with the extra bullshit that goes with bieng in a private school(eg. saturday sport, strict uniform, rediculous conforming to outdated traditions, fee's of $15000+, the stereotype private's are put in, 8:15-3:40 days, the bullshit you have to put up with from the people who's parents earn over $150 000 etc etc etc.) if i had a choice i wouldnt have started at the now infamous summer hill school. what we need is a school where contributions are made within reasonable reach of most people. sure public schools are fine, but private has it so much better, contribuions of more than 300pa would allow better facilities. these kind of fee's are available at some religious schools, but we are at school to learn for the future, sure religion's teach morals, ethics etc, but we need a neutral school, dedicated to education.

Last edited:

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
we should have more choice for parents and students so if u want ur kid to excel in sport then kings or a GPS skool wud be the way to go, academically send them to the top public or selectiv skools (that is if they can GET in) or u have heaps of money and u want the rep then aschams 4 u

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Catholic schools are good cept for 1 thing, compulsory SOR

erica

HSC
ok, we just discussed this in our year last week so i have a couple of points to make,
1) going to a private school, i know i have ot deal with all the stereotypes and everything. however, maybe i just go to a really good one or something because 1) we dont have all that, my dad earns 500k bitching, 2) we get fantastic marks(50% with a UAI over 92) 3) the facilities and teaching are fantastic!!!
2) however, my parents do pay app. 17k for my school fees, plus about another 4-5k on extras, camps, books etc. so i suppose that we get what we pay for so to speak.
3) i think a lot of us are missing the issue here, if our parents care that much about our education and want us to get that great a head start in life that they're willing to make huge sacrifices to send us to what they think is a fantastic school, i think we should be so grateful....
4) now just to spoil my argument, i do think its unfair that there is such a great discrepency between public and private school funding...u know that in the state, each private school student recieves $6.35 funding per day from the government, and public ppl get something like $1.85...is this fair? we all pay taxes, and the purpose of taxes are to spread societies wealth throughout the community...its definetly not happening here...something isnt right here and its up to us to help do something about it

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
17k a year for putting a kid through school is just not an option fore some ppl though...even if i had 17k, i wouldnt send my kid to that type of school...sure, u get life alot easier there with the inclusions, extras and facilities that the 17k covers but i would do the opposite simply upon the principle that u can turn out to be a successful person regardless of the school u went to (its all boils down to how hard ur willing to work to make it happen and a school which provides 1st class facilities cant buy motivation although it can probably buy everything else! :D)...its not where u come from that matters, its what u grow up to be. but if ppl like the private school system than fair enough, this is just my personal stance...

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by erica

u know that in the state, each private school student recieves $6.35 funding per day from the government, and public ppl get something like $1.85...is this fair?
You are getting state and federal funding (you are quoting federal funding here which is a common propaganda tool used by "anti- funding" supporters :) ) mixed up.
By themselves, yes there is a big difference but when combined, its almost even........

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by baka
whos changed from a private to a government school -or vice versa ??
ACADEMICALLY IM DOING BETTER , MUCH BETTER in a public school im topping my subz and blahblah .. teachers are nicer aint biased like those in my old skool, the workload isnt as much ( but thats not necessarily a good thing esp now that im yr 12 ) and fkkkkkk .. the school fees .. DAMN .. 2? 300 dollars a YEAR as opposed to a whoopin 1000 a term .. fkkk .. HMM ..

how bout you guys?
LoLz.....thats coz public students are much more dumber then private students......hence the feeling of superiority after u changed from private to public...:p (unless of course, if ur selective)
but seriously, both private and public have their upz and downz and to compare them would be impossible

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
lol seriously i debated this thing ( private vs public) in the start of this thread like weeks ago but now seriously like im like does it matter? do what u wanna do but no one is tech. "better" different people have different needs
there lol end of debate@!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
dont know about the less bit....... think its *just* a little more (per student/day)
:)
LOL

(stoke the flames..........)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
taught in both public, private (ISA) and am currently in the catholic system.
Was a student in both catholic and public (hated the public system though)
am thinking of applying to go back into an ISA school this week actually.....

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
ahh mkay... I know a lot of teachers outside of school (because my mother is one, so most of her friends are teachers)... and one thing I've noticed is that a lot of teachers who have only ever taught in the privatised system, tend to be labouring under the delusion that things are all equal and dandy... :) again... not trying to generalise... it's just an observation. then again, a lot of public school teachers tend to believe that teaching in a private school is always peaches and cream which of course it isn't.

why do you want to go back to a private school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)