Private coaching vs Centre based coaching? (1 Viewer)

Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

• Private Coaching

Votes: 348 67.6%
  • Centre-based Coaching

Votes: 167 32.4%

• Total voters

tempco

HSC
centre-based. for me anyway - i loved the competition.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
tactic said:
Do you think its better in a one of one enviroment or as a group? Consider things like HSC enrichment sessions, and tutoring centre coaching
I think it's best to have both, however centre based coaching is useful for competition especially if your class is graded.

tutor74

HSC
N/A
From a tutor's point of view, it is good to be in a centre because they find students for you and if you have a group you get more per hour. But I know when I tutor one to one I can be much more helpful.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
that's very true. in high school....yr 11-12, i found group teaching like james an college was absolutely crap, completely useless and nothin different to a classroom at school. one to one helps alot more from my experience.

volition

arr.
HSC
I found centre based alright, and it worked out to be fairly good value

lala2

Banned
HSC
Snowe said:
Anyway I think one on one tutoring is best since you pretty much have to concentrate!! no one else in the class and you can't doze of. Plus you can ask more questions that way.
Ditto! :D

Robert1961

HSC
N/A
I have done 16 years of one-to-one tution. Mostly home tuition. At that time I could not even imagine anything better.

13 years ago, I was challenged by my neice to check out small group tuition at Master Coaching. I sat up the back of a small classroom, and watched 3 small classes being taught in an evening. I had to swallow my professional pride and admit to myself, that each of those students just learnt more maths than those that I had tutored in their own homes. And I was no slouch either, with over 10 of my school students having had their HSC school assessment mark scaled to 100, and 4u classes of 14 to 16 students nearly all scoring in top 50% of the 4u course. One student scoring 100 in the 3u test.

For the last 12 years I have taught 100's of students using Master Coaching methods. I work full-time in my learning centre, it is such a pleasure to make such a difference in the lives of my students. My webite is www.MasterCoachingLiverpool.com

Having experienced both sides of the fence. I am very much in favour of small group tuition. Experiencing (Seeing) is believing.

Our national website is www.MasterCoaching.com.au and it touches on the Private Coaching vs Centre based coaching? argument. It contains much good advice for students, such as, Study Tips, Goal Setting, Personal Evaluation of Career, Learning Skills, Planning your Study Program, Which Coaching College Suits My Child? Guide Posts to Success, Accelerated learning Techniques, Learning Mathematics, Learning English, FREE DOWNLOADS - 2006 HSC maths solutions, biography & PODCAST from Bob Ollis (Founder of Master Coaching in 1984) (DUX of Camden High school), GIFT CERTICATE for free maths lesson - VALID TO JAN 2008

ALL CHILDREN
- love to learn
- love success
- are adaptable
- want more information
- have unlimited powers to achieve

Remember: That if it is to be, then it is up to me.

Robert1961

HSC
N/A
Cut & pasted straight off www.MasterCoaching.com website
Fequently Asked Questions MENU

Question
Which is better, one on one coaching or group coaching?

Answer
We offer both, but all our observed data and reading suggest that students learn far better in a group situation. In coaching the student should be doing the bulk of the work during the session, otherwise the session is wasted. Students learn by doing, not by having concepts demonstrated to them.

In a one on one situation students often feel “spot lighted” and this leads to mild anxiety which prevents the students working in the alpha mode. Students who master a skill whilst in high beta mode (ie brain patterns at 15 c/s or above) retain very little of that skill as little as a few hours later. Students who acquire a skill in alpha mode (ie brain patterns at 12 –13c/s) generally retain that skill. A group situation enables students to relax, to cover far more work and to retain their mastered skills.

M

Matrixchemistry

www.matrixeducation.com.au

At Matrix Education, we provide class tutoring sessions. However, unlike some places, our class numbers are restricted to a maximum of 13 people.

The benefits of this are:
- class groups allow students to share ideas and conceptual ideas; i.e. your peers will ask questions that you would never think of that would be considered qutie importent.
- the limited number of students per class still provides close interaction with the teacher

At Matrix Education we strive to deliver results above expectations. You can always make a consultation booking and see the resources we provide.

Chachamaru

HSC
I think Private tutoring works well for the student because then they won't be ignored a lot and get what they are paying for. also they won't get so side travted that easily.:rofl:

TayakoChan

HSC
Well, Centre based coaching ensures that you are surrounded by your peers, which gives you something to strive for. There is also competition and motivation to be the top in the class.

ihatewriting

HSC
Private Coaching is some more expensive but I think it`s more effective. But as 4 me I hate studying at all.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Private Coaching allows more for attention on the individual student, whereas in Centre based coaching some elements may be missed.

eflatmajor

HSC
I prefer centre based as I make alot of friends there :)
I guess thats not really the point, but i learn better in that environment. One on one would feel really awkward to me.

VuongstER_boi

HSC
.I've had group and private sessions for the sciences and maths and i'd say that private is good for the sciences cos it allows more discussions withthe tutor on oncepts and stuff. Maths however i find private to be ineffective becos it's distracting having someone watching over you solving the problems;hence i recommend group tuition ( which i'm gonna actualli look for).

But the best thing i think is to have a mixture of both one-on-one and group for all subjects. Go to group first so you can actually learn responsively. if you don't get something, then ask one-on-one. One-on-One for learning isn't that good becos u'll totoally just rely on the tutor and be less responsive but it's good forr questions and stuff.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
tutor74 said:
From a tutor's point of view, it is good to be in a centre because they find students for you and if you have a group you get more per hour. But I know when I tutor one to one I can be much more helpful.
What happens if only one or two student comes to your centre? You still get not as much money :p Its pretty much private tutoring, isn't it? And that happens all the time. You might even get less if its just 1 student!

But I prefer centers. Because students can share their ideas more, but of course thats what you always do at your normal school classroom. For private it feels awkward, though you'll get used to it. You'll have more of a chance to express your thoughts and your ideas.

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
For some reason, I'm thinking, Group tutoring for junior years and Private for senior years.

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
How much do centres cost, it only cost me about $30-35 for an hour
That's actually really expensive. Even private tutors cost about that (although i know some that are $50+).

Private > Group

In my view, generally the more expensive the private tutor is, the better they are. This applies for uni/school leaver tutors btw (which most people get) as the max they can charge really would be about $40 for 1 on 1.

I find those that charge higher are doing so for a reason (ie they have more experience, are actually proficient or passionate about their subject, can ask for more money because they actually are in demand). It may be just me but those who have just graduated and have not received their marks (ie many of the 07ers) charge cheap prices but effectively are untested.

emilybradstreet

HSC
I used to do centre coaching but they never let us eat!

I do private now and it's much better. No i'm not fat, i just love eating fruitsin this hot weather hahaha :bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)