Private coaching vs Centre based coaching? (1 Viewer)

Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

• Private Coaching

Votes: 348 67.6%
  • Centre-based Coaching

Votes: 167 32.4%

• Total voters

HSC
N/A
private is a lot better.

you get INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION and ask qus that are important TO YOU, as opposed to a class based environment.

plus, i reckon im pretty good and i only charge $20/hr (come to your house - convenient), and u can prolly get some other great value tutors!

emilybradstreet

HSC
dark.deceptionz said:
private is a lot better.

you get INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION and ask qus that are important TO YOU, as opposed to a class based environment.

plus, i reckon im pretty good and i only charge $20/hr (come to your house - convenient), and u can prolly get some other great value tutors!
In your thread it says $25/hr?

So it's $20?

(T)(i)(m)&(M)a)

HSC
Centre based tuition is a lot better. In individual tuition the tutor ends up doing the work for you and its not worth the money since you end up talking with the tutor - it is also a bit nerve wracking I think. In centre based if you go to the right place you get notes, questions and online support...plus the price is excellent AND you learn off others. Don't get me wrong individual is good if you get the right person it is good - but for a cheaper price u can get even better value in centre based.

For example in yr 12 I needed english tuition. So I went to a guy - Anthony lol... he had a diploma of teaching and was qualified. Well for the 2 hrs he went through 1/2 a page ... the rest of the time he showed me his family album and told me about his hobbies. The price was $50/hr.... GREAT

emilybradstreet

HSC
(T)(i)(m)&(M)a) said:
Centre based tuition is a lot better. In individual tuition the tutor ends up doing the work for you and its not worth the money since you end up talking with the tutor - it is also a bit nerve wracking I think. In centre based if you go to the right place you get notes, questions and online support...plus the price is excellent AND you learn off others. Don't get me wrong individual is good if you get the right person it is good - but for a cheaper price u can get even better value in centre based.

For example in yr 12 I needed english tuition. So I went to a guy - Anthony lol... he had a diploma of teaching and was qualified. Well for the 2 hrs he went through 1/2 a page ... the rest of the time he showed me his family album and told me about his hobbies. The price was $50/hr.... GREAT
Is this Anthony Bosco? Yeah i had a friend who had him and said he wasn't that great, but she stayed because he was better than her class teacher :/

Anyway like all private tutors, if Anthony_B wasn't that great why didn't you just leave then? It's not like he's forcing you to be there, and unlike group tuition you aren't paying upfront so you can leave anytime!

To me, group tutoring is too much like a school environment. And if you're already doing well in school than you won't need a tutor. And if you're not and you need one, then private is normally best (to me) cause centre based coaching is just school all over again :D

Also in my experience, most tutors don't do the work for you or anything, they still want you to work. If they know what they're on about then i think it's worth it, because it's a more personal learning environment where i can learn at my own pace (and even skip lessons when i don't want it! prior would never let me do that).

HunterTuition

HSC
N/A
I have been tutoring for almost 10 years now and I believe without doubt that one-on-one is the best form of tuition. There are a few points to consider I believe when choosing a tutor:
- If they insist on a contract it may because they are not good enough to keep their customers based on service and skill
- They should not have generic programs but rather should concentrate on your areas of concern/class topics.
- I believe they should come to your home where you are most comforatble and also very convenient
- Some large tutor companies start you off one on one and then shuffle you into a "class"
- Obviously should have background checks done by the relevent departments
- Your tutor should also either have been trained or have several years experience.

Teo.Kai

HSC
I have tried both a private tutor and centre based tutoring at the same time and sure; private tutor is good. You can focus on your weaknesses and occasionally review your strengths, but they're more expensive usually, for the experienced ones at least. A tutor that charges $50+/hour should come to your location, have 5 years or more of experience, and is updated with the syllabus. However, centre based tuition is good if you know where to go. For example, at Tipps, it's $30/2hours/week for Ext. I and Ext. II maths. They hand pick questions from everywhere as well. Across-the-board exams are hosted every half yearly to arrange classes. Sure there's stress, but it gets you used to being in exam conditions. If the normal tutor is away and you have a substitute; who was a total failure, then they may give you a free lesson on the same topic to recompensate.

flowergrl

HSC
Private!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. tutorfinder.com.au if you want to know what tuition I found my tutors in.

mizz08

HSC
do u tutor .

I NEED IT WITH PDHPE,BIO,AND STANDARD ENG
I ATTEND ERSKINE PARK HIGH SCHOOL .
ANND IM WILL TO GO TO AROUND PENRITH,MT DRUITT,BLACKTOWN TO MEET UP WITH A TUTOR TO HELP ME .

carmey

HSC
i would say centre based tutoring, its not as intense and when u know where to go such as 'Tipps' at Yagoona, you actually notice all how smart some kids are!!

really gets you motivated :D

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
I think I would prefer private tutoring. Even though it's a bit embarassing when you're very lost and there's nothing else to distract the tutor, I reckon this one-on-one environment allows for more intent and productive learning.

The group environment seems rather pointless to me as I have never felt I'm learning anything in such environments, nor am I receiving much help from the tutors.

lindaguo

HSC
private is best, but you can rarely find yourself a proper teacher who knows his/her stuff, instead of a recent hsc grad who has one perspective of the hsc to offer. And even if you can find such a teacher, could you afford it? the good ones i'm referring to cost upwards of $50/hr +

Linee

HSC
Private tutor is better if your tutor has the right materials and will teach you well. Whereas in Centre based coaching, they give you a lot of information and homework every week; but it is harder to teach you because the tutor got to teach a few students at one time.
In private tutoring when you have a question during the lesson you can ask your tutor anytime and he/she will answer. But in centre based coaching, you tend to dont ask so much questions because you will slow down the progress of the lesson and at the same time annoy other students.
It ultimately depends on whether your tutor is good at teaching and whether he/she gives you the right homework.

I do both private tutoring and centre based coaching.
Northshore coaching - for maths/chemistry/physics
Private tutoring - for maths and english

The problem with me is that both private tutoring and centre based coaching - don't work well with english for me. I really have no idea how to improve my english...

boredofhscs

HSC
i totally agreez. massive problem with coaching is that if u joinz late.ur sscrewed

private is better from personal experience

VuongstER_boi

HSC
I think private is only good for asking questions.

I think material-wise coaching colleges are better but if you have LOTS of qs every wk, then private does quite well. However, some private tutors can fall behind in their teaching of particular courses ( ie. they fall behind of school) while group tuition always places that extra step forward ahead of school ( which is good as it gives you exposure B4 school), otherwise , it is pointless tutoring and a waste of money...

However, I do think that responsively learning things on your own as opposed to heavily relying and being dependent on a tutor is better.

Last edited:

honey44

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
I think private is only good for asking questions.

I think material-wise coaching colleges are better but if you have LOTS of qs every wk, then private does quite well. However, some private tutors can fall behind in their teaching of particular courses ( ie. they fall behind of school) while group tuition always places that extra step forward ahead of school ( which is good as it gives you exposure B4 school), otherwise , it is pointless tutoring and a waste of money...

However, I do think that responsively learning things on your own as opposed to heavily relying and being dependent on a tutor is better.

At my school, practically everyone goes tutoring for maths and is way ahead of what they teach in class. I can't imagine who would want to pay to go tutoring that was behind school.Gosh, they are like so slow! However for English, not many people go tutoring and I am definitely in need for an English tutor very soon. Alas, good English tutors are very hard to find.

P.S I go to North Shore , where did you go for your subjects ???? :spin:

Last edited:

11kloseboy

HSC
N/A
Centre based is the best, you can see how everyone your age is capable of and you can compare your answers with them.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
private is best, but you can rarely find yourself a proper teacher who knows his/her stuff, instead of a recent hsc grad who has one perspective of the hsc to offer. And even if you can find such a teacher, could you afford it? the good ones i'm referring to cost upwards of $50/hr +
Hey guys, could you give me some idea why kids who are already doing very well need tutors? I can understand if a lost kid need tutoring, but when a high performing kid needs tutoring, I don't understand.

For example, my niece is in selective schools and already do quite Ok, but she would never get over 80% without having tutors. She recently moved from center-based to a private tutor in order to improve the results. The reason she gave me was that kids who had tutoring knew the topic about 3 months before being taught at the school. It looks like 80% of the kids in this selective school would drop badly in performance if they stop private tutoring.

Why is that? Does the teachers at the schools (selective ones) know how to teach the kids? When I was young I only used teachers as resources. I always learn much ahead from textbooks. I never needed tutoring or even teachers in some subjects. Why can't kids learn by themselves by reading and researching using textbooks?

It looks like these are average kids who tried so hard to be among real top kids and need constant private tutoring just to stay competitive? Or perhaps teachers at selective schools also don't know how to teach?

As you guys are in the schools, you might be able to tell me your opinions on this matter.

lou071

HSC
N/A
i think private coaching is better,
it focuses on you, help you with what you don't understand etc.

Rainie

HSC
I've tried both. They both of positives and negatives to it. Private is expensive, whereas class is not. But if you took the time and effort to stay back in tutor classes and ask questions, that on't be a problem as well. Some of the centre based classes have a 'homework class' after you finish your timetabled classes with teachers to help you. A lot of info from students get shared around too :) Some of those centre based ones have smaller classes and are graded according to an entrance exam, so I recon thats pretty good.

The competition in class tests at center based classes gives you motivation to improve better- mainly because you got competition!

But as for now, my weakest subject I get private tutoring. And the others are centre based for Business and Economics :D

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
PRIVATE!!!

but finding a good one is so damn hard
just cos such and such got 100 uai doesn't mean they're great teachers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)