• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Private/Public Schools (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassistx

HSC
Re: first day of school

Undermyskin said:
LOLZ. So true. I'm expecting to get a warning like: We are looking foward to your mature behaviours and blah blah blah. Forget about any !*#&#@$%!#@^ thing as otherwise we, the teachers will @#(*&$%^@#* you .:lol:

By the way, if you don't want to buy THAT diary, you can make up your own one. Feel free to release your creativity (but don't be too distracted by immersing too much in it). :p

You don't have to pay anything (except for uniforms, sports fee, text book allowance, excursion fees, diaries), right? To be concise, you don't have to pay tuition fee? I always think only those who go to private colleges have to pay. (???)
That's why it's a private school, hunny :) I hate private schools, they suck. I'm never sending my kids to a private school.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

If you had the money to send your kid to a private school, I don't understand why the hell you wouldn't.

bassistx

HSC

Jachie said:
If you had the money to send your kid to a private school, I don't understand why the hell you wouldn't.
Because they're poshy and up themselves. I hate it. I've experienced it first-hand, twice (2 diff. private schools). It sucks. Every kid who transfers from the private system to the public system agrees that private sucks.
It's a waste of money when there are people starving.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

bassistx said:
Because they're poshy and up themselves. I hate it. I've experienced it first-hand, twice (2 diff. private schools). It sucks. Every kid who transfers from the private system to the public system agrees that private sucks.
Oh please, "there r dying kidz in africa!" is so incredibly irrelevant when it comes to this topic.

I don't think anyone can sanely or rationally argue that the quality of resources etc provided by private schools is the same as those provided by public schools. That's not to say all public schools are shit (hell, i go to one, though if I didn't get into the school I did i would probably be at abbotsleigh or something) but saying "private schools suck" is a bit silly when you consider HSC performance and school ranks and shit like that. There's obviously a discrepancy in quality between the two systems, and if you can afford the better one and distance wasn't an issue, yeah, I don't understand why you wouldn't opt for it.

bassistx

HSC

Jachie said:
Oh please, "there r dying kidz in africa!" is so incredibly irrelevant when it comes to this topic.

I don't think anyone can sanely or rationally argue that the quality of resources etc provided by private schools is the same as those provided by public schools. That's not to say all public schools are shit (hell, i go to one, though if I didn't get into the school I did i would probably be at abbotsleigh or something) but saying "private schools suck" is a bit silly when you consider HSC performance and school ranks and shit like that. There's obviously a discrepancy in quality between the two systems, and if you can afford the better one and distance wasn't an issue, yeah, I don't understand why you wouldn't opt for it.
Everybody I personally know who has transferred agrees with me.
I don't think it's fair to pay $20K+ a year when you could be paying as little as $100. In the end, it hardly matters. It's what you make of the resources. I love the public system and I loved all of my public schools. The private ones were scabbing money and still couldn't afford anything. The floors were dingy, the classrooms were dodgy, everything was pretty much falling apart. It needed some major renovating and a new coat of paint. We didn't even have a playground. It wasn't worth a cent.

all.time.fiend

WANT SOME FRIES
HSC

bassistx said:
unless you're giving these starving people this money youre saving in school fees then you cant use them as support

bassistx

HSC

all.time.fiend said:
unless you're giving these starving people this money youre saving in school fees then you cant use them as support
As a matter of fact, I'm saving up to start my own charity :)
But that's not the subject here.

ccc123

HSC
There is no 'better' system. There are shit public schools, and shit private schools. Some students will benefit from a private school education, some won't and may in fact excel more in a public school. Whether or not a private school system is a waste of money depends on the student and the area you live in. If your area has no respectable public schools and you can afford the private school system go for it. Conversely, if there's a very decent public school nearby, don't waste money.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
I go to a public school, but admittedly private schools do offer more resources/facilities. For example, when I visit private school websites, like Abbotsleigh, it really amazes (but doesn't surprise) me that some schools like that have musical halls (JUST FOR MUSIC!!), swimming pools, gyms, every language under the sun, huge grounds...

HSC

bassistx said:
Lets lay off her guys, she is intitled to her opinion about pritive schools sucking and producing poshy stuck ups... WAIT A MIN! I GO TO A PRIVATE SCHOOL! THIS IS BULLSHIT! I SAY WE CUT HER DOWN UNTIL SHE IS ANKELS!!! Now were'd i put my cup o' tea, o right over there near the rolls royce... Mother! Cancle my meeting with Bob Geldoff, those children can wait, i need a new golden computer this one doesn't shine enough!

bassistx

HSC
:( I had a huge reply. Stupid computer!!!!

Okay, so.. What I was saying is (more briefly)...

Sigh. No, I can't be bothered. Maybe later lol.

Last edited:

ccc123

HSC
Zephyrio said:
I go to a public school, but admittedly private schools do offer more resources/facilities. For example, when I visit private school websites, like Abbotsleigh, it really amazes (but doesn't surprise) me that some schools like that have musical halls (JUST FOR MUSIC!!), swimming pools, gyms, every language under the sun, huge grounds...
Hence their ridiculous $15000-20000 fees a year. Thats the same with a family I know, with one going to Kings and the otehr Tara. Kings has 5 different uniforms (one for marching, one for rowing, one for assemby..) To me, if there is a decent public school nearby, it seems foolish to waste so much money on what seem to be unecessary superfluities (the swimming court, the huge grounds, the tennis court, 5 uniforms). I only think it should be done if you have the money and your think your kid will excel more in a private school environment.

Zephyrio

HSC
ccc123 said:
Hence their ridiculous $15000-20000 fees a year. Thats the same with a family I know, with one going to Kings and the otehr Tara. Kings has 5 different uniforms (one for marching, one for rowing, one for assemby..) To me, if there is a decent public school nearby, it seems foolish to waste so much money on what seem to be unecessary superfluities (the swimming court, the huge grounds, the tennis court, 5 uniforms). I only think it should be done if you have the money and your think your kid will excel more in a private school environment.
My parents would die trying to pay that...

ccc123

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Private schools tend to be able offer more services (extra curricular activities and curricular subject range), and higher standards because of the fees that are paid by families, and the fact that they can choose the educators that work within their school.

Public Schools don't have the luxury of fees that can be used to provide top-class facilities, or decide who it is works within the school, but you still get the dickhead teachers who aren't committed (the majority of which are committed mind you), and whilst you might not get every subject in the state offered at your school, or a pool, cricket oval, concert hall etc offered to you, the facilities that are available are better than none.

Really, it is a personal choice. I am a Public System student, but I have friends and relatives that went to/go to Private Schools, and they are all round nice people. You have the morons who act like God's children because they went to Kings, but arrogance is part of life.

I suggest you learn to deal with it.

Oh and I know people who go to Jachie's school, and along with Jachie, they are fucking awesome. Kthx.
I didn;t say he was an arrogant moron (though he is), but I'm not denying you'll get that everywhere. While I agree that Private schools have more facilities, my argument is many of them are uneccessary.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
i go to a public school, and im not that retarted.
i know the whole alpabet now.

but seriously i went to a private school then moved to a public school.
and private are better.

but who cares.

bansdontwork

Banned
HSC
I've gone to both, my Dad went to kings and hated it, but as long as the public school has adequete resources it's okay... however private was much better.

plus like private uniforms are like way nicer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)