Private Teaching - Music (1 Viewer)

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Hi,
I'm 16 and I've been teaching flute at primary schools for the past year or so. All of my students have been around the ages of 9 to 12 and up to AMEB Grade 3.
Recently I have decided to go into private teaching so I put out some ads and notices around my school and online. A handful of people responded including a complete beginner - a lady over 60 years old. I've never taught anyone this age before and I'm not too sure what it would be like teaching someone nearly half a century older than me. Does anyone have any tips, pointers, etc?
Thanks in advance!

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Hmm... I don't know about that... but I teach at 35 year old (me being 19.. not too bad)
but yesh.. umm
Be patient, allow her to voice and opion, and be polite when saying 'nO... You're wrong'
tee hee..
Umm.... take it a little faster than you would for a kid.. don't patronise her ... just umm...
let her ask the questions.. and ask her what 'she would like to learn' etc

ugh... i don't know tee hee..

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Yeah I guess I'll just be teaching her "normally", minus the "good work!" (in a patronising voice) that I usually give my primary school aged kids.
What instrument do you play Bunny?

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Well I had my first lesson with the aforementioned lady yesterday. I went quite well, better than I expected actually. I couldn't help but be slightly patronising lol, I guess it's a habit. I wonder if I'm charging enough @ $16 per 1/2 hour... according to my sister its a low rate.
Also an unrelated question for Bunny: Where do you normally advertise for students?

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
considering you don't have any formal qualifications $16 per half hr is very reasonable. Im charging $15 per half hr for Saxophone/Clarinet lessons...

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
considering you don't have any formal qualifications $16 per half hr is very reasonable. Im charging $15 per half hr for Saxophone/Clarinet lessons...
Hi Jazz man Tim
Do you have any certificates from AMEB (or similiar?)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
I don't actually advertise. I kinda got the job from my old Cello teacher who moved oversease. She gave me some of her younger students - and i've kinda kept them.
and my old school asked me to come and teach (mind you, i haven't taken it up yet) So i've never posted any adds or what not.
If i did, i'd post them in the local libarary or community notice boards.

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
yea i think ive got a grade 7 one from 2-3 years ago... why?
I was just wondering if my rates were appropriate compared to what certs you had. Not that it's relevant but I got my grade 7 in June this year.
Thanks for your input!

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
BEGINNER -> INTERMEDIATE SAX TUTORING
$12 HALF AN HOUR
NEWCASTLE AREA
MESSAGE ME

...I need to advertise on boredofstudies before i pay for ads in the paper haha...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)