Private tuition from a qualified teacher - Mathematics (1 Viewer)

juggernaut

HSC
Looking for some recommendations for private tuition by a non-university/recent HSC tutor.

Live in the hurstville/oatley area.

Cheers

behemoth100

Adv_Sci_Tutor
HSC
I think the majority of people that are MOST qualified to tutor you are those at uni. You've said you dont want anyone from a uni level, but the fact is that a 2nd/3rd or 4th year uni student who has been tutoring since High School is going to have 2/3/4 years experience, compared to a freshman just out of 2007's HSC who may won't be as experienced.

The most important thing to see in a tutor is not age or ocupation, but EXPERIENCE. If they've never tutored before, they aren't as desirable as someone who has tutored 2/3/4 unit maths for the past 5 years and thus knows exactly what they are doing.

juggernaut

HSC
Er, what im saying is i dont want NEITHER hsc leavers or uni students. I want someone who is a qualified teacher, of if not a qualified teacher someone who tutors as a profession, say in a coaching college or whatever. Ive done the whole uni student tutoring thing and it sucked (though could have just been a few bad experiences)

kony

HSC
probably bad experience mate.

the disadvantage of the "proper teacher":

1. a lack of knowledge in terms of trend.
2. does not know exam preparation strategies nearly as well. (how long has it been since they did an exam?)
3. lack of current resources.
4. overall may be tempted to settle in with the familiar, i.e. 70s or 80s maths teaching styles.

on the other hand, the advantages of someone like me:

1. knowledge of how much preparation is actually needed to get full marks.
2. understanding of the trends of maths in NSW.
3. recent exam experience, and knowledge of how to prepare.
4. much more resources (up to date, and in terms of volume, since we all collect trial papers much more rigorously.)
5. lower costs.

the only drawback, of course, is that we may not be able to communicate to you the things in our head all that well (depending on disparities between our levels). however, having said that, i am having many students, and it is not difficult to pick up the skills required to communicate perceptively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)