problems with Uni (1 Viewer)

kingcc

HSC
Well,I am International Student and I am first year in university so there are lots of thing i don't know.

1. Is there any tutorial book given out in the tutorial or i need to download from website(cause i can't find in the unsw website)
2. How can i copy things or print lecture handout (Is there any printing card things I need to get from the library ?)
3. I am confused by the course pack,Prescribed ( which one should i buy?)
4.I want to transfer to other program from the same faculty but the internal transfer require some specific criteria such as some MATH courses,those courses however excluded my core subject in the first year,what should i do :speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::spzz::spzz::spzz::spzz:

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
1) No you need to print them out.
2) Print at the library (recharge your student card at the front desk of main lib, youll see) or buy your own printer.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
3) Not sure which course you are referring to.
4) Talk to your faculty.

HSC
N/A
Well,I am International Student and I am first year in university so there are lots of thing i don't know.

1. Is there any tutorial book given out in the tutorial or i need to download from website(cause i can't find in the unsw website)
2. How can i copy things or print lecture handout (Is there any printing card things I need to get from the library ?)
4.I want to transfer to other program from the same faculty but the internal transfer require some specific criteria such as some MATH courses,those courses however excluded my core subject in the first year,what should i do :speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::spzz::spzz::spzz::spzz:
1. It is not given in tutorials but you don't need to download it UNLESS the subject does not have a course pack or the tutor told you to. (mostly applies to 2nd year+ courses). The tutorial questions may be found on Moodle if your course is on it (Maths most likely). http://moodle.telt.unsw.edu.au/login/

2. If you are a "Computer Science and Engineering" student, you can print in the labs for free, note that you have a print quota. Other than that, you can do it in the library for a fee.

3. You should buy the course pack and wait for the 1st lecture before deciding if the lecturer requires the prescribed book to be bought by everyone. You may check if the book is in the library.

4. It will be easier for me to help you if you reply with the
program you are in (provide a link to handbook or code)
program you want to move to
the subjects you are taking now.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

The first thing you should be telling us is what degree you're enrolled in, and what subjects you're taking for semester 1.

HSC
N/A
sorry guys~
my degree is bachelor of economics, and i want to transfer to actuarial
The subjects i have enrolled are
1. ACCT1501
2. ECON1101
3. ECON1202
4. ECON1203

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3543.html
Changing from http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3543.html to http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3586.html

You should change ECON1202 and ECON1203 to MGMT1001 and MATH1151 (this is a prerequisite for many of your Actuarial Core subjects) after talking to your faculty about the proposed sudden change and what will occur to your student visa. MATH1151 is only available on semester 1. Not taking it would mean a 1 year delay in your Actuarial degree. MGMT1001, ECON1202 and ECON1203 is available in Semester 1, 2 and Summer Course.

Last edited:

ifrit112

HSC
2. If you are a "Computer Science and Engineering" student, you can print in the labs for free, note that you have a print quota. Other than that, you can do it in the library for a fee.
They are phasing this out and we probably won't have this at all by sem 2 :cry:

If you have an idea of what you want to do, the try following that course plan as best you could as opposed to the one you are enrolled in. You will be allowed to transfer at the end of the year if you meet the required minimum WAM.

Course packs are notes from the uni (as opposed to ones from an actual author/publisher). They are quite shabby - literally notes printed and stapled together as opposed to a textbook with colour and pictures. They are reasonably priced, so it is worth just buying it rather than photocopying.
They are made for a reason, and that is to provide you with relevant content and excercises that follow closely to the syllabus. They also contain some course outlines, a guide to maple and past papers.
This means that most, if not all the information required should be available within the course pack, thus not requiring you to purchase a textbook.
Note that NOT ALL courses have course packs

Printing card = your uni card/ID. Since you are an ASB student, you can also print in the ASB computer labs or the Math computer labs. Same price/printing system used.

Printing things out is up to you. I used to do that for accounting, but then the lecturers put up so many slides I gave up. Instead I just kept a rough set of notes of the 'main points' in each slide as well as anything said but was not written on there.
Then I just referred to the slides online where applicable.
Just do whatever works. Yes I know printing can be quite expensive if you do not have your own at home.

kingcc

HSC
THx for the advice,but the internal transfer require minimum 12UOC in MATH courses,
MATH1151 only cost 6 UOC,it is mean that i have to take MATH1251 ( Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance 1B) too ?
It is getting more complicated...
btw,is it difficult to get 80 WAM in MATH subject in uni.Well, I do very good in MATH in High School stuff like calculus.
But Uni seems far cry from High school:speechless:

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
THx for the advice,but the internal transfer require minimum 12UOC in MATH courses,
MATH1151 only cost 6 UOC,it is mean that i have to take MATH1251 ( Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance 1B) too ?
It is getting more complicated...
btw,is it difficult to get 80 WAM in MATH subject in uni.Well, I do very good in MATH in High School stuff like calculus.
But Uni seems far cry from High school:speechless:
yes

And I'd say 80 WAM is tough to get if you're not good at maths.

HSC
N/A
I agree that 80 WAM is tough. Yes you would have to take 1251 too but it may be a bit of a gamble. From what I have heard, people move out from Actuarial because they couldn't do well (couldn't get Distinction). As said before, talk to the faculty about options, they may be expecting 80WAM on 1131/1141 instead.

kingcc

HSC
Alright then, I should talk to the faculty tmr,still struggling about my degree...
Thanks everyone for the advice !!!!:spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)