Procrastinating English so hard...should english be replaced with philosphy? (1 Viewer)

sy37

HSC
Anyone else?

Also would anyone reccomend good topic sentneces for discoveries? I mean, my substitute teacher said your topic sentence should be conceptual, but then I see other people, including HSC markers, say things like "As is in the tempest, discoveries..." something along the lines of that

Then I'm told your essays need to be 1.6k words min, and other teachers say around 1k is fine

honestly fuck hsc english, it should be replaced with philosophy?

Mr_Kap

HSC
Anyone else?

Also would anyone reccomend good topic sentneces for discoveries? I mean, my substitute teacher said your topic sentence should be conceptual, but then I see other people, including HSC markers, say things like "As is in the tempest, discoveries..." something along the lines of that

Then I'm told your essays need to be 1.6k words min, and other teachers say around 1k is fine

1.6k words?

Only wizards can write that much.

sy37

HSC
yeah I'm not going to believe her, rather I just wanted to point out how non standardised english is..

keepLooking

HSC
You should be aiming for around 900-1000, there is no way you could write 1600 in 40 minutes unless it is a fully memorised piece.

Flop21

HSC
Yes, no one knows what the marker will want tbh.

I'll tell you how bias english is? Memorised essays for the trials. First essay was awesome, got most of it out, thought it was great - strong analysis and everything. Last essay, I couldn't remember a thing. Not even author's name lol. So I just made it up on the spot, with very weak analysis, probably 800 words at most.

1st essay got 9/20. Last essay for 18/20. Both look to be marked by a different person.

In my discovery essay, the topic sentences aren't that conceptual. They just hit off the main ideas in the rubric. All essays ~1000 words, probably less to allow room to adapt. Bam 14/15.

sy37

HSC

I'll tell you how bias english is? Memorised essays for the trials. First essay was awesome, got most of it out, thought it was great - strong analysis and everything. Last essay, I couldn't remember a thing. Not even author's name lol. So I just made it up on the spot, with very weak analysis, probably 800 words at most.

1st essay got 9/20. Last essay for 18/20. Both look to be marked by a different person.

In my discovery essay, the topic sentences aren't that conceptual. They just hit off the main ideas in the rubric. All essays ~1000 words, probably less to allow room to adapt. Bam 14/15.
haha that is some serious wtfuckery going on

9/20 ??

18/20 ??

What if you got the marks confused ? That's ... I don't even...wtf?

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC

Your school is probably not marking on a HSC level, or they are extremely lenient.

Nontheless, congratulations on some of your very fine marks. :)

Flop21

HSC
Your school is probably not marking on a HSC level, or they are extremely lenient.

Nontheless, congratulations on some of your very fine marks. :)
9/20 is lenient?

EDIT: And what makes you think they are marking 'extremely lenient' apart from that odd 18/20?

Last edited:

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
9/20 is lenient?

EDIT: And what makes you think they are marking 'extremely lenient' apart from that odd 18/20?
Well, your testimony that you "made it up on the spot" and "800 words at most" gave me that impression.
However, I do not know your English capabilities (they could far-surpass mine). I did relatively well (in comparison to my cohort) in Trials, but that is a result of hours of hard work. I guess I was just a bit upset that you did well without even trying.

My apologies. I hope I didn't offend you or anything, but if you keep it up I'm sure you'll do wonderfully for HSC English.

Flop21

HSC
Well, your testimony that you "made it up on the spot" and "800 words at most" gave me that impression.
However, I do not know your English capabilities (they could far-surpass mine). I did relatively well (in comparison to my cohort) in Trials, but that is a result of hours of hard work. I guess I was just a bit upset that you did well without even trying.

My apologies. I hope I didn't offend you or anything, but if you keep it up I'm sure you'll do wonderfully for HSC English.
Oh right. Well yeah that was in regards to Mod C. I literally have no idea how I got that 18/20, and I'm sure they marked easy on me (or maybe I'm just a natural genius... kidding).

The marking for the other essays, as well as discovery I think were marked quite fairly (even though I hate english marking and find it VERY bias and unpredictable).

No worries :) Congratulations, I'm glad your hard work paid off. I definitely have strong negative feelings about my approach to studying for trials, and regret not doing a lot of things. I went into trials knowing very little for everything, except for Biology. But I can't dwell on it too much, and I hope to smash externals. My english mark for my trials wasn't that great anyway, that 9/20 pulled me way down.

HSC
Also when you make up essays on the spot (with memorised analysis ofc), more than likely you address the question more as you are taking whatever you can from the question.
So it might be subjectivity based on how well the essay fits with the question

pomsky

HSC
Anyone else?

Yes, but it would be a bit redundant in your case because Philosophy has the potential to be even more subjective/ 'non-standardised' as it's generally based upon an individuals' personal values and beliefs.

Both subjects require to you to construct an argument and to provide evidence to argue in such a stance. They're inherently quite similar.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Oh right. Well yeah that was in regards to Mod C. I literally have no idea how I got that 18/20, and I'm sure they marked easy on me (or maybe I'm just a natural genius... kidding).

The marking for the other essays, as well as discovery I think were marked quite fairly (even though I hate english marking and find it VERY bias and unpredictable).

No worries :) Congratulations, I'm glad your hard work paid off. I definitely have strong negative feelings about my approach to studying for trials, and regret not doing a lot of things. I went into trials knowing very little for everything, except for Biology. But I can't dwell on it too much, and I hope to smash externals. My english mark for my trials wasn't that great anyway, that 9/20 pulled me way down.
I agree, it's bias in a sense that different teachers have their different preferences... (i.e. one of my teachers tell me to do a long intro, while another tells me intros need to be succinct...) I am quite confused as well. Pretty sure you did well in MOD C since, well, the flaws of your writing is more evident to you than to another person (ahh, memories of english extension 2...).

My teacher told me (I am a bit sceptical about this) that markers are only USUALLY 1 or 2 marks away from each other, and apparently the higher mark is used or a mean of both. I do hope there is a shred of truth in what he says... I'll be glad to get the higher mark anytime haha.

Thank you so much for understanding and your well wishes. Once more, I didn't mean to come off as rude (and reading my post, I did sound quite aggressive) and only echoing bad sentiments that someone said when they read over my work. It's not nice to undermine anyone's work, especially in such a rude way as I did, and hopefully I didn't do much harm.

The important thing about trials is to learn from your experiences, which i'm sure you did. I learned the most about trials is to have a generic essay (with main points and ideas) ready for any exam condition. :) You'll pull up for externals... most trial exams are meant to be harder than the real thing anyway (or so I have been told).

Christofu01

HSC
I think I'm completely screwed for the English HSC, judging by how trials went.
Throughout the year, I was averaging 85-90%, ranked 48/135 before trials. Then trials come along and BAM! my mark was around 70%, trials rank 115/135 and drop to 69/135 for my final internal ranking. Note that this was after only studying English in the week before trials, disregarding other subjects, so those marks slightly suffered too...

HSC
I think I'm completely screwed for the English HSC, judging by how trials went.
Throughout the year, I was averaging 85-90%, ranked 48/135 before trials. Then trials come along and BAM! my mark was around 70%, trials rank 115/135 and drop to 69/135 for my final internal ranking. Note that this was after only studying English in the week before trials, disregarding other subjects, so those marks slightly suffered too...
Externals will make a significant difference so now you can figure out where you went wrong. Your ranks are finalised so don't think about them too much- it's all on you for externals
Then using these weeks, get to know your analysis/ major points well and improve your weaknesses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)