Production Possibility Frontier Question???? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey everyone, can someone help me with this question:

Which of the following would cause the production possibility frontier to shift outwards?
  • a) An increase in migration into a country resulting in lower unemployment
  • b) An increase in interest rates
There were more options but I have already ruled them out.

Examine

same
HSC
a) An increase in migration into a country resulting in lower unemployment

With less unemployment businesses are hiring more people, increasing the efficiency of the time to make a product. More efficiency=more products that can be made= frontier to shift outwards.

HSC

With less unemployment businesses are hiring more people, increasing the efficiency of the time to make a product. More efficiency=more products that can be made= frontier to shift outwards.
Thanks! That is what I was thinking but I just wasn't sure how an increase in migration into the country would lower unemployment.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

I would argue that this is a bit of a convoluted explanation.

The PPF represents the different combinations of goods which can be produced if usage of an economy's resources are maximised. If migration occurs, this increases the potential labour stock, thus the economy can theoretically produce more goods if labour usage is maximised. As a result, more of good A and B can be produced, thus the PPF moves out.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
More resources, in this case - labour, would result in the curve/frontier shifting outwards (like the process of economics growth). More labour results in increased production of goods and services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)