Professional Recognition (Finance) (1 Viewer)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeh, a bachelors is higher than a diploma, but you could take an advanced diploma / graduate diploma, which is higher than a bachelors.

Look at the link in my previous post...scroll down to "ASIC Adviser Competencies"
Also, http://www.finsia.edu.au/Education/Courses/Courses_Offered

I prefer finance anyday.
I think they both have excellent career prospects and room for development and progression, but finance being the harder industry to crack into due to the fact that alot of the work requires specific talent, experience, and a good track record.

I mean, the reason why i started this thread is because i know there is very attractive pathways that are parallel to the CPA/CA program for accountants. And i gotta be honest with you, almost every acct+fins (or single major fins who like me is unsure what do with a fins major) i know wants to do CA/CPA, and why not, its marketed extremely well and is undoubtly a prestigous organizaion to be in.

Last edited:

sykaryce

hmm....
HSC
emm...just a question..i'm still confused after reading

just What courses (i'm doing B Econ) do u need to do to get FINSIA recognition? and whats the benefits of it?

mashi

Elite
HSC
I don't know all there is about professional recognition in the finance industry, but I'm pretty sure CFA is the equivalent to finance majors as CPA/CA is to Accounting.

Membership/Associate of SIA (or the new merged institute) is generally seen by employers as scrapy.. its more of a basics course for people to gain more fundamental financial knowledge themselves. You do the SIA diploma in finance (or even the masters of applied finance) just to improve your understanding really.. it will not open up doors of opportunity like CA would, for example.. its just not highly regarded like that.

CFA is internationally recognised and is very big comparatively in the states and asia.. but not so much here. That's why its not as famous in Australia. The SIA courses are really so-so... in that they're pretty 'easy' courses where people pay to increase their knowledge.. don't think its an actual "Professional recognition" equivalent to a CA/CPA in an accounting sense.

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
to my knowledge.. becoming a CFA certainly opens up career paths and is an in demand qualification possibly more so than the CA is in accounting (comparatively), but its also ridiculously (when did i forget how to spell..) hard course to get through. 3 trimesters where 30% or so get thru passing all of em? something like but. but your finance i.e. a nerd, so youd be rite. so long as you still not spamming 200 and something emails around during IT!

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
CFA is easy compared to FIAA.

yeah, it fell from 50%ish. Many of the more vocational/lesser well know universities are tailoring their Finance degrees in preparation for the CFA so I would think pass rates would be different between countries.

mashi

Elite
HSC
lol they tell you accountants to stop sending emails to put a lid on costs don't they Steven?

haha you must be bored 2 b posting on BOS forums.. where do u work atm? come out for lunch n stuff with kon etc. one day we'll show you how its like to be down with the high rollers

hahaha jk

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
mashi said:
lol they tell you accountants to stop sending emails to put a lid on costs don't they Steven?

haha you must be bored 2 b posting on BOS forums.. where do u work atm? come out for lunch n stuff with kon etc. one day we'll show you how its like to be down with the high rollers

hahaha jk
Campus MLC, yea :p lol well basically the NAB. and yes i am bored, its so mindless posting here and watching tv, much easier than anything else :D

oh and since im at the NAB... lol everything is to do with cost cutting :p including emails... hmm maybe not. but apparently MLC flags me if i send more than 100 a day(externally)? im yet to test that but i know we got up near 80 or so one day.

pfft fins coops high rollers... only when your not working your 12hr days and have the energy :p now what else did i want to ask... oh yea, who the hell are you?? :D

Capitalist

HSC
mashi, are you working at Deustche* in IB? *If that's how it's spelt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)